The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

need help with fluid choices

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RACER-X

20+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2002
Corpus Christi, Texas
hey guys i need to change my tranny and diff. fluid and i'm not sure what i should use. based on your experience with awd and oil fluids what is the best for protection and smoother shifting?

GM Synchromesh in the transmission. Redline heavy weight shockproof gear oil for the transfer case and rear end.

i dont think i can get any of that locally.. well, except for the synchromesh, where can i order the redline and how much do i need? i can just get the synchromesh at the GM dealership.. correct? and it's just called synchromesh.. right? it's not the synthetic fluid is it?

The synchromesh is a full synthetic. You can get it from any GM dealer. I get my redline oil from RRE. The transer case takes .5 quart and the rear end uses .9 quart.

oh, ok. i was under the impression that it was the non synthetic synchromesh cause i know they make both. ok, i can get that tomorrow. and thaks for the link on the redline. :thumb: thanks for all the help blkawd.

A rally mechanic I know suggested using Neo vs. Redline or GM. I don't have any experience with it, so I can't tell you that it's better for sure, but it might be worth investigating.

Penzoil Synchromesh is cheaper, and it's just a relabelled version of the GM product. Autozone had it here, for about half the price the local GM dealer wanted for their branded version.

You can always run boring 'ol Valvoline 75w90 non-synth too for $3 a quart. If it's good enough for Buschur Racing, it's good enough for you. :) Seriously, the stuff protects as well as, if not better than, probably anything else out there. And shifts pretty darn good, too.

I'll also recommend Syncromesh for people who like to say they have synth in there, but pretty much every other popular brand (don't know about Neo) has had too many horror stories. Some of them told by me.

It's hard to go wrong with non-synth Valvoline or Syncromesh.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back