The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Need help with electricals, please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91-gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
San Jose, California
All the lights on the dash are on except the check engine light. The battery drains if you leave the car parked for a few days. I replaced the battery and alternator with new ones. The car does not continue to run if I unhook the battery while the car is on.(after a jump start ofcourse.) Somebody here must have an idea, this isn't the honda forums, the people here are smart. I have tried fixing it without help to no avail. Please help if you have any ideas. Thank you very much

In my experience, all the dash lights coming in is a sign that the alternator isn't charging the battery. You said you replaced that, so the next step would be to check the charging circuit. Trace all the wires and see if you can find a break somewhere. Also, check all of the fuses in the engine bay, perhaps one of them is blown.

In my experience, all the dash lights coming in is a sign that the alternator isn't charging the battery. You said you replaced that, so the next step would be to check the charging circuit. Trace all the wires and see if you can find a break somewhere. Also, check all of the fuses in the engine bay, perhaps one of them is blown.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have gone through that part as wells and checked all of the fuses. The only ones the are blown are the power window 30amp fuse and the power seatbelt 30amp fuse. The thing is sense the power seatbelts slide when you turn the car on, that fuse blows the minute the car is turned on. The other fuse that keeps blowing is the power window fuse. It blows when you try to make the roll up or down. The thing is, I have replaced these fuses, but they just keep blowing. Which means it is something else. The replies are very appreciated. Thank you.

True... the wires coming from the alternator are for power while the car is running check these cause you said its not charging the bat..possibilities forthe batt going dead, are some where voltage is being stolen from the battery, which is why you have to jump start... If you have acess to some kind ov handheld voltage meter try to find where voltage is being used when car is off. also look for corrosion on allwires dealing with power and ground. post details please

True... the wires coming from the alternator are for power while the car is running check these cause you said its not charging the bat..possibilities forthe batt going dead, are some where voltage is being stolen from the battery, which is why you have to jump start... If you have acess to some kind ov handheld voltage meter try to find where voltage is being used when car is off. also look for corrosion on allwires dealing with power and ground. post details please

I have come to the conclusion that the problem lies somewhere between the alternator and the battery because the alternator and battery both work, and are new. Now if I just had a wiring diagram to know exactly what goes on between them. If anybody has an idea of were I can get a wiring diagram, that would help immensely. My father knows electronics pretty well being an engineer, and has a handheld voltage meter that we have been using. But the problem has still not been pinpointed. Thanks for the help

I also had a question that could concern this problem. When my car died once because it was running out of battery, while the alternator was not working. I was in the driver's seat and "bep bep bep" sound came from around the ecu area. So I just took it out and will have my father look it over later. Anybody have an idea what could making a bepping sound under the dash? Thanks again for the help

What other kind of electronics do you have? an alarm, turbo timer, your cd deck, Idk some where between those lines??? As for a wiring diagrahm....I'm gonna look around for one? I'll get back to you on that one...

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have gone through that part as wells and checked all of the fuses. The only ones the are blown are the power window 30amp fuse and the power seatbelt 30amp fuse. The thing is sense the power seatbelts slide when you turn the car on, that fuse blows the minute the car is turned on. The other fuse that keeps blowing is the power window fuse. It blows when you try to make the roll up or down. The thing is, I have replaced these fuses, but they just keep blowing. Which means it is something else. The replies are very appreciated. Thank you.

Sometimes, random blown fuses can be an indication of a very weak battery, IF, there are no apparent shorts/overloads in the circuit. Since your battery is new, i guess thats ruled out. :coy:
...but it doesnt rule out that there could be a possible short somewhere. A short will cause whats called 'parasitic drain', which means it unecessarily drains your battery.
Have you checked your grounding points? (engine, alternator, battery)

I know you asked for a wiring diagram, but I found this:
Folder/File Listing for H:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Webs\manualcd.com\gift\dsm\*.*

From that list you'll probably wanna click on '1G circuit diagram' and '1G charging starting system' (I think the 2nd one will be more beneficial)

Anyways, hope that helps and good luck! And let us know if your problem has been remedied, and how ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back