The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Need help with car. Any help is appretiated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimoose

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2011
Bourbonnais, Illinois
Hi all looking for someone near me thats willing to come take a look at my dsm and help me figure out what the heck is going on with it. I am kinda out of ideas other than a boost leak test which I want to do I just havent got a tester, I plan on buying one. When idling its a lil rough not bad idles pretty smooth but when you try driving it it bucks and falls on its face. I have looked into a few things as to why it would do this but I cant figure it out. Im not calling it quits by a long shot just looking for a little exsperiance. Thansk again anyone!:confused:

Hows your Turbo look? Shaft play up down side to side?

What all have you tried?, have you tested your maf?

turbo has very little side to side last time I looked about 2 weeks ago. The car is not driven so I doubt it got any worse. I just went and bought stuff to make a boost leak tester with a guage. I do not know how to test the maf.

I would just unhook the maf and see what happens?

I would check the ecu,Is your car a M/T or auto?

Last edited:
Its a manual ill try unplugging the ecu. I just unplug the electrical plug right?

Also my ecu says it was rebuilt, tho im not sure of when. The board seems clean tho.

Thats what i mean by "check" your ecu, So there are no exploding caps or anything right? And it were auto I would have said its in limp mode but its not so.....Well get your car fixed man hahah

Lol ahh horrible. Yea im kinda stuck I dont know what eles to check. I just put a Boost Leak Tester together tonight waiting for the sealant to dry then im gonna throw it on and see what I get. If that doesnt work .... ehh I guess ill just stare at it and wait for something to happen.

Im heading to the garage right now to test the blt to see if the tester leaks and if im good ill let you know what the cars doing.

I found a couple leaks, nothing crazy one on the small port coming off the turbo that I use for my wastegate actu. I fixed it and I cant find anymore but I need a better compressor. The bike pump isnt working out.

Oh on another note I have 0 shaft play! LOL

check your tps, throttle body. I had to clean my throttle body out and change my TPS when i had a problem like yours and it cleared it up

I guess ill try that. Thats the first I head of it. Thanks

Have you checked your timing? And do you have a wideband? If so what does it read? What are your plugs gaped to?

Rock auto wants $130 for a new tps sensor. What did you do to clean your TB, just spray it with cleaner and wipe it down? or actually take it apart.

Nope havent checked timing. Im sure its off I just marked the head when I took it off and lined my lines up when I put it back on. I am replacing the timing belt here really soon tho and all the pullys and the tensioner waterpump all that good stuff. so i will make sure its correct. Plugs. LOL dont laugh to much but it has the bosch platnium plugs with the 2 fingers. I had them laying around when I got the car and just put them in I didnt go out and get them for the car. LOL No wideband yet but i know its running way to rich still. It has black plugs and blowing black smoke.

plugs could be bad in general i bought a TPS off someone from tuners awhile back and the TB i took apart to clean by that i mean took the elbow off then the body, didnt disassemble any more than that cause all you have to clean is the butterfly really. Sometimes it gets gunked and sticky and the tps could be bad your best bet is to either find someone with a good one and swap it see if it changes anything ot get a multi meter and test it . I cant remember rightn ow what the Ohms should be on the pins but i could probably find out

also when you say it falls on it's face. is there a certain RPM it does this at ? or anything like that ?

Yea it will drive but when you get it over like 2 or around 3 is when is bucks and falls on its face. It only does that while driving. At an idle in neutral you can rev it past 7k, Bust if you flor it it revs to 3k and spits and sputters.

yeah plugs , wires ,boost leak , tps,throttle body something like that those are the things i checked and did when mine would to the same thing i replaced my plugs fixed leaks and did tps and TB and was good to go

Funny Q how much boost are you tuning and does it Buck after 2k or 3k WOT OR ARE YOU EASING INTO IT?

Ok ill check all those. Boost is factory right now till I get the car running. I have the mbc off the car. and it bucks when yuo romp it or when you ease into it when your driving its like it starts building pressure (boost) and it starts bucking and you hear the blow off go off.

It sounds to me like it is likely your MAF,or maybe your FPR has
Gone out on you. Or maybe your TPS.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back