The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Need help with 2G TSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostorbust

Probationary Member
Feb 5, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Hey guys. I have a 95 TSI. I recently bought this car, and it seemed to run great. A few days this knocking, or clicking started happening. I am nervous to drive it, and was hoping to get some feedback please.

Where is it coming from..the wheels..the engine..the transmission..the rear suspension? More details would be better.

Gain as much information as possible to help others diagnose your problem.

This would be a great oppurtunity to get a great tool that every mechanic/tuner should have: An automotive stethoscope.

They run about $15 and allows to to pin point a click/knock/etc.

It is the difference of knowing a noise from the engine, and from the number-two cylinder's valves.

Like they said, need more info. Is it RPM sensitive (faster with higher engine speed), does it do it only when moving or while sitting still as well, does it do it only in gear or in neutral too, what general location is the noise comming from? Help us to help you.

Nate

[ame=http://youtu.be/6vAbAibV0oE]Eagle talon ticking - YouTube[/ame]

I jut uploaded this video. Thank you so much so the idea.

I have another one I can post if this one doesn't help.

have you checked your belts?

I am still new to 4g63's, but it sort of sounds like belt slap against a belt guard. Gonna keep listening though.

Nevermind. At the 10 second mark when the engine goes back to idle, it does not sound like belt slap....

I do not know enough to help out further, but I am sure someone else here can and will.

For starters make sure the harmonic balancer center bolt hasn't fallen out. But unfortunately that sounds like rod knock. Drain the oil and check for metal flakes. It may be time for a rebuild.

The way it sounds inconsistent points at your worst case scenario unfortunately. That sounds like rod knock. That means you spun a connecting rod bearing. If you plan to fix this engine DO NOT run it anymore. And definatley dont drive it. If you know how to, ypu should pull off your oil pan ( drain oil first and pay attention to metal flakes). And check your rod bearings. Sorry man. Dont give up, best of luck.

Like already stated, it sounds a lot like rod knock. Double check that all your pulleys are tight and inspect that oil.

I concur... That does sound like a rod knock, especially since it changes with rpm. As stated... Do not run the car anymore. Also be sure to check the turbo for damage, since metal from a spun bearing can get in there unless it has a filter on it.

I'm looking online and all I see is used. I want to get the most out of this car. Would just buying and installing a stroker kit be the best way to go?

If you buy a used motor it's used. If you rebuild your current motor you gain knowledge and you can build it however you want. You could do higher compression, more displacement, forged internals.

A stock rebuild isn't too expensive either. You can get a rebuild kit from MachV or other places if you really want to.

Just remember if you rebuild your motor to properly break it in.

If you really want to go the route of a used motor make sure you know it's in good condition before you buy it. You don't want to end up buying a already shit motor. Personally I'd look for a local part out on Craigslist if you can even find one and compression test the motor before having the owner pull it. The odds are better if it's still in the car. The only reason I say that is you get a lot more of your money back from a part out than selling a modified car outright, so it increases the odds of you not being scammed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back