The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need HELP W/DIAGNOSIS?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoax1

Probationary Member
Jun 11, 2003
MichiganUS
Alright I found a car i'm about to buy, 1999 GST w/40,000miles, stock car except down pipeand exhaust. The concerns i have are when I started the car it makes a rattling (like BBs in a can) up by the turbo or possibly in the block.It does this every time i start the car and i noticed when i drove it, in lst gear it makes a noise almost like a crackling just while i'm excellerating to 2,000rpm then it goes away. Last questionable sound is the the turbo winding. I have been in like 4 turbo cars and they have never sounded like a pig squealing/wheeeeee noise. What do you guys think this could be.

The squealing noise could be a decent sized boost leak. Check for leaks. As for the first noise, I'm not sure... sorry :confused:

I have seen a similar thing in a few other cars. First, sometimes the alternator can make some squeaky noises on startup but BB's in a can sounds more like an old resignator or cat converter. You said it had all new exhaust so perhaps that isn't it... but thought I would add my 1 cent.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back