The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved Need help w/1990 Eagle Talon TSI - Fault codes 12, 25, 31

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Wonka

Probationary Member
Jun 5, 2021
Le Sueur, Minnesota
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Looking for some help with my Talon. I recently bought it off a guy. The guy thought the wastegate was causing all these issues. Wastegate seems to be working fine when we tested it. I recently pulled the codes. 12,25,31. So I replaced the MAF but still have the 31 to deal with. Check engine light on only because of the knock.. i made a video of what the car is doing. Fuel cut? plugged fuel filter? Any help would be appreciated thanks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I will do so.. Thank you much appreciated.. This car has been a dream of mine for many years. I will check it out tomorrow and let you know what I find out.. better to buy eBay or AutoZone.. eBay 60.00 or AutoZone 115.00. heard stories that eBay ones are sometimes not 1g sensors.. or does it matter..

Hello everyone. I'm new here. Looking for some help with my Talon. I recently bought it off a guy. The guy thought the wastegate was causing all these issues. Wastegate seems to be working fine when we tested it. I recently pulled the codes. 12,25,31. So I replaced the MAF but still have the 31 to deal with. Check engine light on only because of the knock.. i made a video of what the car is doing. Fuel cut? plugged fuel filter? Any help would be appreciated thanktno
The check engine light is the knock sensor.
That isn't why it runs bad. Looks like you have a huge boost leak. Look at yiur stock boost gauge while you rev. That's not right. Go over all your piping with at least a good visual check. Then do a boost leak check.

I have visually checked over all the piping. Did a boost leak when I first got it.. could the vacuum lines play a part in that boost gauge. It's completely stock except for a decked head. Found 4 vacuum connector tubes under intake with nothing hooked to them. Have no idea what they go too

I have visually checked over all the piping. Did a boost leak when I first got it.. could the vacuum lines play a part in that boost gauge. It's completely stock except for a decked head. Found 4 vacuum connector tubes under intake with nothing hooked to them. Have no idea what they go too
Take a pic if you can. Only ones I can think of "under" or by the intake are for the wastegate actuator/solenoid

How did you conduct the test? You should test again. The factory boost gauge doesn't measure boost. It measures airflow and you have a lot and you shouldn't.

No. When I bought it 3 weeks ago it was doing this.. the guy that sold it to me said it was the wastegate.. so the first thing I did was test the wastegate/boost leak and check timing.. no issues with wastegate or timing. Had 3 CEL 12,25,31 codes.. so I replaced the MAF yesterday. Compression is good new wires,plugs. So I ordered a knock sensor will be here this week..

When ECU sees no knock sensor, it would throw the code and would pull timing and would hesitate exactly like the video. So anyways you have to fix the cel 31 first. Most likely, the previous owner forgot to instal the knock sensor or installed it improperly/disconnected or harness/connector is damaged or a broken sensor etc etc.

Last edited:
When ECU sees no knock sensor, it would throw the code and would pull timing and would hesitate exactly like the video. So anyways you have to fix the cel 31 first. Most likely, the previous owner forgot to instal the knock sensor or installed it improperly/disconnected or harness/connector is damaged or a broken sensor etc etc.
I've had my knock sensor disconnected before and it didn't do that. I wonder if this is stock ecu or maybe it has ecmlink and the boost gauge has been changed to some other parameter like battery voltage or something.

I've had my knock sensor disconnected before and it didn't do that. I wonder if this is stock ecu or maybe it has ecmlink and the boost gauge has been changed to some other parameter like battery voltage or something.
That's a good point but thats an awfully stock looking engine bay.

Op is this car modded?
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Looking for some help with my Talon. I recently bought it off a guy. The guy thought the wastegate was causing all these issues. Wastegate seems to be working fine when we tested it. I recently pulled the codes. 12,25,31. So I replaced the MAF but still have the 31 to deal with. Check engine light on only because of the knock.. i made a video of what the car is doing. Fuel cut? plugged fuel filter? Any help would be appreciated thanks
Code 31??? Or 13? When a car flags 12, 13 and 25 that's a common sequence when somebody ran the car without the maf plugged in. Im Betting your maf wasn't bad. You should check the codes again.
If the boost gauge hasn't been reassigned you need to look closer at all the piping. Possible tear in an intercooler hose, hole in intercooler etc.

My 90 acted exactly the same as the video when I disconnected or connected a 2g/evo knock sensor or a wrong sensor, also when a wire for the knock sensor was cut. It was with a 90 stock turbo ECU and JDM GVR4 ecu. The first 1 min or so after I started the engine ran fine but after that, the cel came up and started to hesitate exactly like the video and the engine didn't rev up and ran terribly. I was thinking the boost gauge moves because of the timing is retarded and maybe a bit more fuel is also sent?

Last edited:
My 90 acted exactly the same as the video when I disconnected or connected a 2g/evo knock sensor or a wrong sensor, also when a wire for the knock sensor was cut. It was with a 90 stock turbo ECU and JDM GVR4 ecu. The first 1 min or so after I started the engine ran fine but after that, the cel came up and started to hesitate exactly like the video and the car didn't rev up and ran terribly. I was thinking the boost gauge moves because of the timing is retarded and maybe a bit more fuel is also sent?
Interesting, maybe I’m misremembering.

100 % stock except for a decked head.. otherwise all stock talon.

My 90 acted exactly the same as the video when I disconnected or connected a 2g/evo knock sensor or a wrong sensor, also when a wire for the knock sensor was cut. It was with a 90 stock turbo ECU and JDM GVR4 ecu. The first 1 min or so after I started the engine ran fine but after that, the cel came up and started to hesitate exactly like the video and the car didn't rev up and ran terribly. I was thinking the boost gauge moves because of the timing is retarded and maybe a bit more fuel is also sent?

Exactly what it does. Starts up and will idle with no problem.. soon as you touch the gas. CEL comes on and car starts acting up

Like Paul told you, double check the codes and fix all to eliminate the cels and do a boost leak test again. Anyways a proper boost leak test is a must especially after you buy a turbo dsm from a person who doesn't know much about.

It's incredible how many times people get told that the car's problem is the wastegate. Any problem on a dsm has about a 99.9999% chance of not being the wastegate.
Non dsm people or people with non turbo cars cant even point out a wastegate or know what it does. Over the years many have tried to point out my bov as the wastegate. Mostly honda guys at car shows.

Thanks so much. I have already eliminated 2 of the 3 codes..(2 of the codes were for the MAF) which I was hoping was the problem.. I guess not.. ordered a knock sensor so when that gets here I will replace that. In the mean time I will go another boost leak test tomorrow. Plus I found 4 vacuum connections under the intake manifold next to motor. Maybe a issue.. I'll take a pic of them tomorrow and post

Would the boost valve solenoid if faulty make any issues or if vacuum lines backwards?. Only reason I say this is because he had the head decked and then back together. Missed a connection? He drove it for a bit then broke down. So it sat since 2018 in a garage

Last edited:
Would the boost valve solenoid if faulty make any issues or if vacuum lines backwards?. Only reason I say this is because he had the head decked and then back together. Missed a connection? He drove it for a bit then broke down. So it sat since 2018 in a garage
No

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back