The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Need help w/1990 Eagle Talon TSI - Fault codes 12, 25, 31

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Wonka

Probationary Member
Jun 5, 2021
Le Sueur, Minnesota
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Looking for some help with my Talon. I recently bought it off a guy. The guy thought the wastegate was causing all these issues. Wastegate seems to be working fine when we tested it. I recently pulled the codes. 12,25,31. So I replaced the MAF but still have the 31 to deal with. Check engine light on only because of the knock.. i made a video of what the car is doing. Fuel cut? plugged fuel filter? Any help would be appreciated thanks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That's a good point but thats an awfully stock looking engine bay.

Op is this car modded?

Code 31??? Or 13? When a car flags 12, 13 and 25 that's a common sequence when somebody ran the car without the maf plugged in. Im Betting your maf wasn't bad. You should check the codes again.
If the boost gauge hasn't been reassigned you need to look closer at all the piping. Possible tear in an intercooler hose, hole in intercooler etc.
I did connect the old MAF and it pulled the same codes 12,25,31.. installed new one and now only have 31

I think that's why the previous owner thought it was the wastegate because of what the boost gauge is doing

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the 4 lines under the intake manifold I was talking about. Where do they go? Plus put a new knock sensor. Same issue. Next is a boost leak treat and then to fuel. Also found a #3 wire was cracked. Even thou new

Thanks so much. I have already eliminated 2 of the 3 codes..(2 of the codes were for the MAF) which I was hoping was the problem.. I guess not.. ordered a knock sensor so when that gets here I will replace that. In the mean time I will go another boost leak test tomorrow. Plus I found 4 vacuum connections under the intake manifold next to motor. Maybe a issue.. I'll take a pic of them tomorrow and post
No more CEL light thou. That's a plus... Lol

Here are the 4 lines under the intake manifold I was talking about. Where do they go? Plus put a new knock sensor. Same issue. Next is a boost leak treat and then to fuel. Also found a #3 wire was cracked. Even thou new

Those are all emissions related. Get rid of them

Alright I did a boost leak test up to 20psi.. only leak I heard was the coming from the nipple on the valve cover which has a hose that goes back to the intake hose and the biss screw. Still same issue.. no CEL comes on until I hit the gas.. (code 31) but if I shut the car off the CEL goes off until I hit the gas again

Yeah. I installed the new knock sensor

Well I think the PCV valve is leaking which is leaking by and coming out the valve cover hose connected to the intake pipe (before turbo) but I can hear a bunch of air coming out that tube when I do a boost leak

This is where I hear the leak coming from.. soon as I get to 20psi is just blows out there.

Could the CAS be off? Do you need a timing light to check that?

Took the ECU you out today.. does this part look like it is burnt?

Did EcmTuning tell you anything about what was wrong with your ECU?

They are really good at what they do! Glad it is all fixed up now. I am almost thinking the issue with my car could be ECU related so I may do the same thing for maintenance since it already has V3 in it.

They are really good at what they do! Glad it is all fixed up now. I am almost thinking the issue with my car could be ECU related so I may do the same thing for maintenance since it already has V3 in it.
I am very happy with ECMtuning. Yeah I will definitely be send it back this winter for Upgrade to EPROM and EcmLink. I didn't this time because I was unsure it was going to fix my problem. So I just had them repair it. On the top of the board didn't have much damage but the underside was where the problem lied.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back