The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Need help passing emissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi-fan

Probationary Member
May 26, 2003
NevadaUS
I just bought a 90 talon tsi from some guy that has done extensive modes, only problem is that I was not expecting him have pulled the egr system out of the car. I need to get my car to pass the sniffers and to boot it does kind of idle a bit weird, I do know my way around cars but this car is brand new to me and I don't know much about it yet. So this is why I need all your help with this. I got a new egr valve, and while installing it I have found that the guy before me put a cover over were the egr valve was at, also the guy has welded a nut onto the plate with some sort or sensor in the nut. I need to know what kind of sensor this most likely is, and what I will need to get this baby to pass.

Thanks in advance

Also it is of course cali emission equiped car and i was also wondering if the egr valve has a sensor of some sort on it.

Anyone is free to answer, really anyone. Just as long as its not to many all at once.

have you tried to smog it yet? I dont think having a egr blockoff plate would not allow you to pass the sniffer test. My car has a CA ecu in it and doesnt have a EGR and I passed with flying colors.

I'm not sure about Nevada emissions standards. In California, you need to pass a visual inspection and a sniffer test (which is dyno'd in some areas). Sounds like if you were in California, your problem would be the visual; one of the things they are supposed to look for is a modified EGR valve. Of course, the caliber of person doing the test varies widely and some don't seem to notice if the thing is completely blocked off. If you installed a new EGR, you should be fine on that end of things.

Funny idle is another story altogether. If that's because of cams, you may have more of a problem. If they offer a pre-test in Nevada, get that and see where you stand.

Originally posted by jpolizo
I'm not sure about Nevada emissions standards. In California, you need to pass a visual inspection and a sniffer test (which is dyno'd in some areas). Sounds like if you were in California, your problem would be the visual; one of the things they are supposed to look for is a modified EGR valve. Of course, the caliber of person doing the test varies widely and some don't seem to notice if the thing is completely blocked off. If you installed a new EGR, you should be fine on that end of things.

Funny idle is another story altogether. If that's because of cams, you may have more of a problem. If they offer a pre-test in Nevada, get that and see where you stand.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back