The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

need help from people who have totaled their vehicles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05Nissan350z

Proven Member
Oct 23, 2013
Canton, Ohio
Hey everyone,

Was on my way to my friends to work last Thursday when someone in a ranger pulled out right in front of me. I hit the brakes went into a slide and hit the guard rail and he kept going... (should of just hit him :/).. Anyways they're totaling my tsi.. Depending on how much they want for me to buy it back I'm just going to let them scrap it however I want to take everything out of it first since it's at my friends house. Can I pull the engine etc before they take it? Because I'm planning on stripping it bare, and since it's my car I figured the insurance can't do anything about that? Was basically wondering if anyone knows if you can do this/ have done this before.

If they pay out to you then the car is theirs and you can haggle with them about a price for purchasing the car back. Unless you can replace everything with a different component such as stock they will want it all and they really want it the way it is so you need to be careful if you exchange any parts. Good luck, sorry about the accident, no tag # and you probably missed the other vehicle completely so there is no damage to look for the other vehicle with huh?

Already have a new shell, and no i didnt hit him.. really should of just plowed his ass. I would of if i had known what was going to happen... I plowed the front end into a guard rail.. not really worth fixing imo. Just wanted to know if I could take everything off it before they contacted me to let me know what they were going to give me for it etc.

If they pay out to you then the car is theirs and you can haggle with them about a price for purchasing the car back. Unless you can replace everything with a different component such as stock they will want it all and they really want it the way it is so you need to be careful if you exchange any parts. Good luck, sorry about the accident, no tag # and you probably missed the other vehicle completely so there is no damage to look for the other vehicle with huh?

yeah I was sideways by the time his rear end would of been noticeable and then he floored it and took off.. and of course nobody else stopped that saw it happen.. luckily i wasnt cited for anything though. and what you saying is, is that if I take everything out before they pay me then they couldn't do anything?

You can take out a lot of parts and get away with it. My dad once totaled a '97 Camry, and he pulled out nearly everything worth something. When it went to get scrapped, they were irked that stuff was missing but they still paid up their deal.

My opinion, be careful with your Karma. You may be in a grey area. If the insurance company hasn't yet sent an adjuster to look at the car, swapping parts out for originals might be OK, but the parts you remove might affect the offer they make to you. If they've already looked the car over, leave it be and buy it back to get the parts you need.

Well I don't want you or I into any trouble but the insurance company is looking for a complete car, which is how I will word it. So if they come to look at it, that is what they expect to receive for paying for a totaled out car. I've been in this situation many times where my hot rod parts would disappear if I let it go back, but most of the time I have just bought the vehicle back from the insurance company at a very reasonable cost. If an adjuster comes out you might as well inquire about repurchasing at that time to see if you can get any kind of figure out of them then. I never point out the "goodies" though, that's up to them to figure out.

You'll have to buy the car off the insurance company if you want to strip it. You can take a few things and the insurance company will pay, but you can't strip it.

Insurance company will want a whole car you cant go and take it apart. You can buy it back for cheap and then part out. And you you have pictures of the car?

Typically the buy back is incredibly reasonable.

Just go that route. I'm sure if they pay you and they get a a stripped down car.... I just don't see that going over to well.

I've had a neon r/t totaled out years ago. Bought it back for $500 and made $4000+ parting it out. do the right thing.

You can revert it back to stock and be alright but stripping it down to the shell... maybe not.
When my 92 gsx was totaled the buy-back was decent but more than everybody said it should be. I did get re-reimbursed for all the parts though (keeping receipts rocks) All the parts were used on my 1g and 2g talons so the buyback was worth it.
You can and should negotiate with the amount of compensation. They initially might lowball you with their "market value research". Do your own research and prove to them what the value of your car is don't let them tell you what it is worth. With 2 months of negotiation I got the insurance to triple their initial offer. Also if you plan on a buyback don't let them take your car. It gives them more power for negotiations and such. Be professional about negotiations and never state an amount that you will take simply show what similar cars are selling for (asking price) and let them revalue their offers. If you are patient you can walk away happy and probably ahead.
If you need help or guidance I would be happy to let you know what I did and the expected steps and all that.

101 of driving, never dodge idiots unless it will kill you, or as you see, you pay the price!

Don't swap parts, let the insurance inspector come out, do his thing, odd's are it will cost you around 500 to buy it back!

Anything over 10 years old, they total out for minor damage, expect a decent paycheck, but your premiums will go up due to your solo accident.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back