The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Need help diagnosing noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mistydsm

Probationary Member
May 20, 2022
Halifax, NS_Canada
I am new to these cars and need some help diagnosing a noise my engine is making during idle. I want to fix the issue but don't know what course of action is needed, my engine is making a squeaking sound that increases with rpm. The power steering belt squeals on start up but stops after a little bit

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it always done this?
Did you try it without the accessory belts?
What have you looked at already?
Does it quit?
Does it change with clutch in?

Please fill out a profile so we know a little about the car.

Left or right side? Hard to tell in the vid but seems to be louder on the right. Does the noise change when you press the clutch and engage into gear?

Slave cylinder is gone so i cant press clutch or engage into gear and i think its louder from transmission side could it be that the clutch isnt fully engaged causing it to make that noise

I agree. It sounds like the clutch disk is staying somewhat engaged. I hear that rubbing sound. You can also hear it synchronized with the pulse of the engine. I hope that makes since.

I agree. It sounds like the clutch disk is staying somewhat engaged. I hear that rubbing sound. You can also hear it synchronized with the pulse of the engine. I hope that makes since.
I was thinking same thing i mainly posted because im new to this platform and wasnt sure if it was something super obvious or not or if it was a 25 year old car quirk but i think ur right

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back