The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Need exhaust. Need advice. Come on in and join a discussion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brembo

Proven Member
Aug 17, 2014
Clifton, New_Jersey
I just put back my dsm back on the road after about 2 years of being under a knife. I have successfully did 4 wheel evo brembo swap on all 4 corners and during that time and my exhaust completely has rusted awey. I will tell you more the muffler completely has fallen off. I was so excited to drive the car that I didn't care how loud it was but that gets old fast. So I am in the market for an exhaust. I most likely will pull the triger sometime in late may. Until then I will have to do my home work. Anyways, their are few differant systems on the market.

1)Megan. Available from the font all the way back. Cheap. Back order for how long no one knows, maybe 90 days or so I was told. Not sure if I like how the muffler exits in the back. Specifically the angle. Muffler don't look all that great but it's bolt on and that is nice.

2)HKS. Nothing to say here. Not really interested here.

3)Apexi. Rusts awey. Have the downpipe from them. Not impressed.

3)DNA or SRS or what ever it is called. Super cheap.

4)Thermal. Supposedly in stock which is good. Made in America, which is even batter. Not too cheap but maybe their is a reason for it. Reviews are positive but super old. No real pictures of how it mounts and looks. Not all bolt on. Needs to be modded.

5)Custom. Not sure about who will weld it up for me.

Alright, those are my options. Not great but that's what we have this day and age. I would like so see and or hear a review about thermal exhaust. How it mounts, how bad Is the drone, would you do it again? If you have other exhaust systems then please post quick review but please post pictures. All information is greatly appreciate. Thanks.

I have owned two Thermals and they are good quality with a good solid sound. I've ridden in a Megan and I didn't care for the sound. Was a little too buzzy like your usual import exhaust.

Mine is a mix of an SRS/eBay and custom stuff, and I wouldn't change it for a name brand. I love the way it sounds and looks. I spent considerably less on my exhaust, monetary-wise, but it took more work and time to get it fitted correctly.

It all depends on the level of work, money and time you want to put into it. I'd personally go custom, and will again if i need to.

I have been running a thermal for about 7 years, sounded amazing for 4 years, and it still sounds great, but I feel it has lost some of its throatyness? The muffler is rattling about six months ago, perhaps I've been playing with the antilag too much. Anyway, I pulled it off and tried to shake it and hear if it was something moving inside, couldn't figure it out, was going to open it and check it out, but I remembered they have a life time warranty, so I will be contacting them soon to see if it still is under warranty, if not, i will probably re purchase the muffler if available. I feel as though its one of the better sounding exhausts available for our cars, but I might just be talking out of my ass.

I recently had the thermal exhaust installed late last year. Curious as to why you mention that it needs to be modded (unless removing the neckdown at the catalytic converter connection like I did). Besides that, it bolted straight on. Fit and finish is excellent. My car is FWD, but here is a picture showing how if looks under the car.

Attachments

• Talon_Exhaust.jpg
    Talon_Exhaust.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 131
FWIW I have the Apexi on my 2g and apexi dp with custom catback from a local shop with the cheapest straight through muffler they had on my 1g, and I like the sound and look of the cheap custom job way better. All cut mandrel bends, tucks up real nice. Cost less than 300$ but that was a long time ago. Depends a lot on the guy doing it though.

I have owned two Thermals and they are good quality with a good solid sound. I've ridden in a Megan and I didn't care for the sound. Was a little too buzzy like your usual import exhaust.
Thanks for a small review. I actually checked out your build thread just to see how Thermal looks like. Post the view from the back if you can because I spend days looking for pictures and I only find your thread and one more from like 2003.

Mine is a mix of an SRS/eBay and custom stuff, and I wouldn't change it for a name brand. I love the way it sounds and looks. I spent considerably less on my exhaust, monetary-wise, but it took more work and time to get it fitted correctly.

It all depends on the level of work, money and time you want to put into it. I'd personally go custom, and will again if i need to.

Thanks for your reply. The problem here is that I am not a welder and I would need to find a shop that would weld SS and that would care to make it nice and that could be not as easy as it may seem. Dont want to go to regular exhaust shop. I had magnaflow cat installed my maineke and everything is good, but I am not very impressed of the weld job they did.

I know you arent in favor of hks, but it is on your list, and it looks like someone is selling theirs in the classifieds for 300$. Figured I’d point it out
Thanks for stoping by. I just post all options that are available today for 1G and the options are very poor I think. I want to buy something new and my choice would be thermal but I would like to see what other people have used in the past. I also consider magen but it is on national back order. Maybe you guys could make an exhasut for us 1g guys?

Last edited:
I have been running a thermal for about 7 years, sounded amazing for 4 years, and it still sounds great, but I feel it has lost some of its throatyness? The muffler is rattling about six months ago, perhaps I've been playing with the antilag too much. Anyway, I pulled it off and tried to shake it and hear if it was something moving inside, couldn't figure it out, was going to open it and check it out, but I remembered they have a life time warranty, so I will be contacting them soon to see if it still is under warranty, if not, i will probably re purchase the muffler if available. I feel as though its one of the better sounding exhausts available for our cars, but I might just be talking out of my ass.

Thanks for your mini review. Good to hear that it lasts. You need to post some pictures and more info on that warranty claim. Would be great if it is lifetime warranty.

I recently had the thermal exhaust installed late last year. Curious as to why you mention that it needs to be modded (unless removing the neckdown at the catalytic converter connection like I did). Besides that, it bolted straight on. Fit and finish is excellent. My car is FWD, but here is a picture showing how if looks under the car.

Thanks for stoping by. Yes that is exactly what I mean about modding, the neckdown. If I will do thermal than I will most likely convert to 3 inch v band for easy down pipe removal. I have hy35 waiting to go in so I will have to mod the down pipe and that is another problem. I should just learn how to weld and life would be great again. haha

I have a Megan 3" dp -> 3" Vibrant resonator -> custom 3" catback -> 3" inlet dual outlet Vibrant muffler.

My car sounds nice and quiet now until the dump opens.

Pictures or it didnt happened. Lol. I have been researching different resonator and about adding additional muffler to fight some of the nosie/drone so if you can get the car in the air and snap some pictures of the routing and how big is the resonator that would be great.

Ive owned a Thermal setup for 2g for 15 years. It was on my 95 GSX from 2004 to 2017. It is now on my 97 GSX that I am currently playing with and is just as good as the day I got it. I put over 200k on my 95 with that system bolted to it. Maybe 1k on the 97 since.

I put the Thermal catback in the hangers and let it float in the hangers naturally. Should be perfect. Perfect pipe route,perfect muffler placement, perfect muffler tip placement from all angles. Was for me. Then cut the reducer off right where the pipe becomes full 3'' and brought it to the downpipe with a 3'' flange and a piece of 3''pipe. Cutting and welding required.

Which one you buy really depends on what tools you have access to and what work your willing to do/have done. I never tried another but have wanted to try other mufflers. Ive been considering the muffler the HKS systems for 2g dsm come with. Its sold on its own. Work the end of the exhaust to fit and mount the muffler just as HKS does....just to change it up. But the Thermal sounds great and lasts. Its loud though.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Thanks for stoping by. Yes that is exactly what I mean about modding, the neckdown. If I will do thermal than I will most likely convert to 3 inch v band for easy down pipe removal. I have hy35 waiting to go in so I will have to mod the down pipe and that is another problem. I should just learn how to weld and life would be great again. haha

Any exhaust shop should be able to handle that with any hassle and it shouldn't cost you very much money.

Sorry I don't have pictures. It's all v-banded. Making a FWD 3" catback is a bi*** because you have to go over the rear axle brace or w/e that thing is called. There's not a lot of room there so your bends have to be good and if you want to ever remove it (which I opted to not do this) you would want to put a v-band in the hump somewhere that goes over the axle so that it can be taken apart. Otherwise you'd probably need a lift to remove the cat-back due to the angle that you'd have to bend it to to get it out. I don't even know if it will come out like that anyway. THIS is probably the reason you don't see much aftermarket FWD 1G exhaust setups because that last part of the exhaust is harder to make (**I think).

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1142-Ultra-Quiet-Resonator/dp/B001806YE2
https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1149...3"+muffler&qid=1556025727&s=automotive&sr=1-5

Those are the two parts I put on my car recently, replacing a "race muffler" and a 3" cat I torched w/ antilag.

i love my custom made exhaust that we built for mine. it started out life as a buschur exhaust off of an evo8 and thne it was modded to fit my 1g with all vband connections. only restriction is the muffler and it is surprisingly quiet which i like when i drive the car around on the street.

heres how it came out on my old 91.

heres on my current 92.

the muffler is a magnaflow 7" diameter 3" in/out.

I bought the $120 catback you can find on eBay a few years ago for my 90 GSX. Did not require any modification at all, bolted right up. Does not have a raspy tone, but does have some cabin drone. I also liked the angle the muffler exits the rear. If I were to buy a name brand exhaust I would go with the Thermal system.

I put one of those on the 92 eclipse I built, it fit like sh**. I had to tweak the f*** out of it to keep it off the bumper.
Crazy, mine fit very well, I just modified the muffler section to a straight through 3" with MBRP tip. Otherwise it all went in quite well.

With the 3" DP, cat delete, two resonators in the SRS mid section and the straight rear, it's surprisingly quiet and I love the sound.

I just put back my dsm back on the road after about 2 years of being under a knife. I have successfully did 4 wheel evo brembo swap on all 4 corners and during that time and my exhaust completely has rusted awey. I will tell you more the muffler completely has fallen off. I was so excited to drive the car that I didn't care how loud it was but that gets old fast. So I am in the market for an exhaust. I most likely will pull the triger sometime in late may. Until then I will have to do my home work. Anyways, their are few differant systems on the market.

1)Megan. Available from the font all the way back. Cheap. Back order for how long no one knows, maybe 90 days or so I was told. Not sure if I like how the muffler exits in the back. Specifically the angle. Muffler don't look all that great but it's bolt on and that is nice.

2)HKS. Nothing to say here. Not really interested here.

3)Apexi. Rusts awey. Have the downpipe from them. Not impressed.

3)DNA or SRS or what ever it is called. Super cheap.

4)Thermal. Supposedly in stock which is good. Made in America, which is even batter. Not too cheap but maybe their is a reason for it. Reviews are positive but super old. No real pictures of how it mounts and looks. Not all bolt on. Needs to be modded.

5)Custom. Not sure about who will weld it up for me.

Alright, those are my options. Not great but that's what we have this day and age. I would like so see and or hear a review about thermal exhaust. How it mounts, how bad Is the drone, would you do it again? If you have other exhaust systems then please post quick review but please post pictures. All information is greatly appreciate. Thanks.
I installed an SRS 3” about 3yrs ago and haven’t had any problems. Still looks good. Not rusty and no leaks.

I'll +1 the thermal. It's pricey but sounds deep and not raspy and should go on without any modification. Extreme psi has it the cheapest I've found so far.

This is what it looked like on my 2g when it was running (my exhaust sits a little lower than it should)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back