The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need EVERYONES input please on my Ignition issue!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedz

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 12, 2009
Madison, Wisconsin
Ok I have been doing everything possible to make this talon a nice clean and functional dsm. I have always had ignition issues with the car. I have tried 2 different OEM coil packs and wires. I have tried the 300mm COP setup (2 different SETS), all give me the same result. The car will run fantastic and boost, then fall flat on its face

I was getting on the throttle to pass someone and I saw my RPMs go from 4500 straight to 1500 and sputter with no more throttle. The exhuast starting to POP and when I come up to a stop, it would STALL. Its crazy you can hear my 16g spooling like crazy but obviously with the ignition setup failing on me again, I was going no where.

I have link setup for my factory boost gauge to read my knock. My knock would sky rocket to the MAX, and my AFR's would LEAN out and then read ---.

AFter letting it sit, I can go back and start it right up like nothing bad was to ever happen. I have went back and check all my wires to make sure its all solid connections. I pulled the plugs and cleaned them up fresh again, I pulled the wires and made sure none were burnt up or anything.

The knock sensor is not black and goo like I was reading up on.

I just need everyones opinion on what is going on here. I am so tired of swapping ignition setups and whatnot. :banghead: Now I pulled it into my parking spot, and it wont even start. When you do get it started, it runs like crap and then dies instantly

Here is my setup :-(
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

VIDEO of NO START OR ANYTHING!!!!!!
IMG 0672 - YouTube

HERES ANOTHER VIDEO FROM BEFORE with another ignition setup. SAME FRICKEN ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talon - YouTube

Last edited:
U sure it's the coil pack? I had a issue where the the car would crank but no start, hook ## laptop up n act like ## doing a log and see if ## omni map sensor(boost) on screen, if it reads -20 with the key on then ## map sensor is bad,hope this helps!

Serious question, other than having had lots of ignition problem before, what ignition related could possibly cause knocking and running lean?

U sure it's the coil pack? I had a issue where the the car would crank but no start, hook ## laptop up n act like ## doing a log and see if ## omni map sensor(boost) on screen, if it reads -20 with the key on then ## map sensor is bad,hope this helps!

I never a issue with it not starting until today, that actually was not what I was trying to record but I guess thats my new issue.

Are you talking about the Map sensor I have on my fire wall my Omni 4 bar?

Serious question, other than having had lots of ignition problem before, what ignition related could possibly cause knocking and running lean?

Spark, TPS, fuel, injectors........

Yes, I changed everything, coil pack power transister, mpi relay, sold the shell, bought a 1g n had same issue, hooked laptop up n found out my map sensor was bad

Hows the PTU?

Hows the PTU?

Last time I checked I had voltage and it was working. I had replaced that not that long ago either

I said ignition related, so lets go with spark.

Can spark alone cause preignition of fuel without timing being the issue?

With the car running, I was able to pull off the first 2 plugs off the coil pack, and the car still ran the same, and no response to me removing the wires.

I had to re-locate the PTU, because it was mounted to the stcok 6 bolt intake. When I switched to the Venom, I had to move the PTU and I bolted it to one of the nuts on the Master Clutch Clyinder.

Even before when I had this issue, it was on the OEM spot of the 6bolt intake

Throttle position sensor ftw

You think so? Its at .47 I guess. If you can tell me where online you can find what TSP % it is suppose to be, let me know. I have looked everywhere

Q45 90mm

Also I checked out the ECU, and it looks good

:-( My laptop has a battary that does not charge, so it would be hard to drive with a extention cord

I gaurentee you its the power transistor. Get another one (known working) and swap it. Make sure it is connected tight. Ive had my nightmares when relocating it. I thought i blew a piston one night when i did a launch and the car fell flat on its face and was full lean thanks to the pos power transistor.

Last time I checked I had voltage and it was working. I had replaced that not that long ago either

With the car running, I was able to pull off the first 2 plugs off the coil pack, and the car still ran the same, and no response to me removing the wires.

So they're not firing... Guess what you're trying to figure out is the starting problem/current running problem, and not the detonation then?

I was trying to figure out how you were blaming lean A/F and detonation on failure of spark. My bad. :D

Tomorrow I will check the wiring and also connection of the PTU. Thank you everyone

I can't believe I found your post! This is tony btw. well i dont know much but... i know you relocated your battery and fuse block did this issue occur before that? i watched the video and i saw you messing with the cas right, are any of the wires loose? do you know if its getting spark to all of the plugs? were you having these issues before you installed the fuel regulator? Also, since its not starting at all sometimes i dont think it could be the tps right? I'll be free mostly tomorrow if you need any help, or maybe an ac/dc adapter.

Well started car up, ran shitty. As it stayed running I went and wiggled the connector on the PTU and it ran flawless again and rev smooth no hiccups. When it runs like this, she is a dirty car :). Going to wire in another pigtail and turn boost up even more. The pigtail has 2 broken plastic pieces around the metal pins (maybe causing a unsecure connection)

Sounds to me llke a bunch of parts were put on without a full understanding of how to tune to make them work together as well as some possible wiring issues.. what was the very last mod that was done to make ths start? If it was the COP setup, take it off, it's only good for looks anyway unless you've got a astand alone to make sequential spark and ajust the dwell times to suit, But anyway, ther's probably just a lot of sttings in link that are just WAY off in left field (or has anyone tuned it, if so who are they and what's their record/experience?)

I see lots of people come t me saying they "just put on "X" part and the car isacting up" I take off said partr, car is fine, then i either have to break down reality over rice ot looks to them or explain how i can set it up correctly and at what cost. I just see a ot of people tossing parts on cars becuase they are the "mods to get" when reading forums, and although they mean well they don't havea full understandin of installing them (Mainly electrical items) or tuning and calibrating ECU's and then changing them with new injectors, different ignitions and such

I mean no offense, it's not like it's a dumb thing to do, it's just the learnign curve that you either choose to batle through and become a wise-old.grumpy-DSM'er, or you become one who pays to have a good shop just do all the work... both are fine, doin anything yourself and doing it right is about 500 times moire rewarding

Sounds to me llke a bunch of parts were put on without a full understanding of how to tune to make them work together as well as some possible wiring issues.. what was the very last mod that was done to make ths start? If it was the COP setup, take it off, it's only good for looks anyway unless you've got a astand alone to make sequential spark and ajust the dwell times to suit, But anyway, ther's probably just a lot of sttings in link that are just WAY off in left field (or has anyone tuned it, if so who are they and what's their record/experience?)

I see lots of people come t me saying they "just put on "X" part and the car isacting up" I take off said partr, car is fine, then i either have to break down reality over rice ot looks to them or explain how i can set it up correctly and at what cost. I just see a ot of people tossing parts on cars becuase they are the "mods to get" when reading forums, and although they mean well they don't havea full understandin of installing them (Mainly electrical items) or tuning and calibrating ECU's and then changing them with new injectors, different ignitions and such

I mean no offense, it's not like it's a dumb thing to do, it's just the learnign curve that you either choose to batle through and become a wise-old.grumpy-DSM'er, or you become one who pays to have a good shop just do all the work... both are fine, doin anything yourself and doing it right is about 500 times moire rewarding

Ummm wow ok hmmm yeah...........

Anyway here is what my PTU plug looks like. Not` sure if this is my whole problem or not.

anyone think with the picture shown, that the two broken plastic pieces will cause all my issues? I dont see how that is hurting the connection, but I feel maybe it is

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back