The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Need engine, sources?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin Bodkin

Probationary Member
Apr 25, 2019
Conroe, Texas
Hello all, I have a 1994 Eclipse GS with a 4G37 1.8 in it. The valves are bent so instead of rebuilding it I want to drop a 4G63 2.0 in it.

I’m having a little trouble finding a good one, and from what i’ve seen online they sell for around 2-3k. Are there any popular sources or places in Texas that anyone knows of where I can find a nice 2.0?

With all the stuff you need to do the swap, unless others are selling everything you need you are probably looking at around 2k. You need the engine, trans, axles, wiring harness most likely and ecu and if you want the right gauges then you need the gauge cluster as well since the tach redlines at 7k and it's a different signal so your 1.8 tach won't work unless you wire it straight to the ecu apparently.

I did the swap as well but it was years ago. But I know the hardest part was the wiring harness. You might not have to change the entire harness and someone more knowledgable will be able to help in that department. I had a donor car at the time and just swapped everything basically.

With all the stuff you need to do the swap, unless others are selling everything you need you are probably looking at around 2k. You need the engine, trans, axles, wiring harness most likely and ecu and if you want the right gauges then you need the gauge cluster as well since the tach redlines at 7k and it's a different signal so your 1.8 tach won't work unless you wire it straight to the ecu apparently.

I did the swap as well but it was years ago. But I know the hardest part was the wiring harness. You might not have to change the entire harness and someone more knowledgable will be able to help in that department. I had a donor car at the time and just swapped everything basically.

But do you know anywhere online or somewhere I can call and get what I need? I’m really just looking for an engine

If it' just an engine, it would depend on a n/a or turbo engine. Before my rebuild I was looking on eBay and found turbo engines with trans wiring harness and ecu for 2000 dollars. I didn' have that much at the time. You could make a listing on the classifieds here for what you are looking for or browse ebay. They go like hotcakes on eBay though. And a lot of places need a business to ship to because it is shipped freight.

A specific company though, I can't remember the specific name but it was out of Cali that dealt with importing engines from Japan that was on eBay. They do compression tests and apparently take them out of working cars. I wish I remembered the name of the place but I know the 4g63 engines they had didn' last long at all.

Contact Miller Import Parts or post a classified WTB ad, or peruse them for a good 2.0 engine. Worst case you could check junkyards.
Awesome thank you they have a couple available so i may look in to that.

I’d like to know that too... what site is that pic from me dustyboner? Lol

Just to add, there are like three jdm engine depos around my way in Jersey like 10 minutes from where I live. One in Belleville NJ, and one in Passaic NJ and I know for sure they get 4g63’s in. I was even checking out a JDM ecu from the place in Belleville about a week ago.

That place is def on eBay.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back