The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

need DSM help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicko360

Probationary Member
Jan 2, 2011
bellingham, Washington
not too framiliar with DSMs worked on other imports alot but im kinda stuck on this one. If anyone local can help me i can pay if you can get my car running. I know its something simple but heres the details

1995 talon tsi, low miles, virgin wiring harness, precision gt series turbo, fmic etc. etc. but the car has no spark and i cant figure out why. the coil is getting power i tested with a test light.

whole head is brand new, new cam sensor etc. car ran perfectly fine before until my buddy got a rod knock and sold it to me, I put a new short block in the car. compression is perfect, timing is dead out, spark plugs smell like they are getting fuel, but no spark. everything seems to be plugged in right, there is one plug that is empty but i belive that is for the AC which has been previously removed. if anyone local can help me out i can pay you whatever seems fair. I live in bellingham washington. up north of seattle, i have a small shop that i can push the car in so it would be a decent working environment. call or text me is fastest way to reach 360 320 2045, i will try to check back on here as well. thanks

Are you getting any Codes?
I'd Try Testing the Cam angle sensor and the Crank angle sensor to start with...
I'd help you out if I was more local... . But that's a bit far of a drive.

Have you tested your ECU? Also, your AC plug you mentioned looks very similar to the one that your coil pack plugs into. I would verify that it didn't accidentally get swapped.

Good Luck!

Both of these guys are dead on the money with there initial diagnosis!
Good luck with the car.

Have you tested your ECU? Also, your AC plug you mentioned looks very similar to the one that your coil pack plugs into. I would verify that it didn't accidentally get swapped.

Good Luck!

yes i used the chiltons manual to check wire colors

ill try testing cam and crank sensor tommorow when i can get my hands on voltmeter, the car ran fine when it was turned off last (besides the rod knock) is it possible for those sensors to go bad while sitting?

Good Luck!

is it possible for the ecu to go bad on a dsm? sorry ive just worked on hondas my whole life this is the first dsm ive owned haha i have an s2000 im currently converting to rhd and have done tons of work on but i cant get this damn talon to run!

ill try testing cam and crank sensor tommorow when i can get my hands on voltmeter, the car ran fine when it was turned off last (besides the rod knock) is it possible for those sensors to go bad while sitting?

Well Anythings possible, Maybe a broken wire or bad connection? wouldn't hurt to also check the wires for continuity back to the ECU. you just want to make sure their working and the Ecu is getting a signal... Without a signal from them your coils aren't going to fire... .

is it possible for the ecu to go bad on a dsm? sorry ive just worked on hondas my whole life this is the first dsm ive owned haha i have an s2000 im currently converting to rhd and have done tons of work on but i cant get this damn talon to run!

Yes it's VERY common for the Capacitors to leak electrolyte on to the boards an damage them but More so in the 1g's not so much in 2g's but it still happens If you pull the ECU and take the cover of he's a good example of what to look for

And Here's a Very Bad disassembled 1g ecu to show you how bad they can get damaged ...

And lastly while you have the cover off you can look for blow ground traces he's a pic of that as well (that's been repaired)you can tell by examining the tracks near the sensor ground pins 2g almost always blow the grounds at this same place if they do... .

Not sure if you have a logger but A blown sensor ground trace will be evident in data-logs. It will result in -40F intake and coolant temp readings, 100% TPS, an unusually high Baro reading (like 37 inHg) and O2 voltages greater than 1V

Attachments

• 2gleaking.jpg
    2gleaking.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Verybad1gecu.jpg
    Verybad1gecu.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 65
  • blown2gtrace.jpg
    blown2gtrace.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 62
time and time again, ive expierence with multipule cars, its aways the crank position sensor.. if its not recieving or sending a signal the coil will not spark.

Could also be the ecu, or coil pack..

if you re-used the old one it could have been damaged during installation or removal. the only way to get them out before you removed the head is to take the cam gear off. so if you didnt do that then i bet you broke it LOL .i have a crank and cam position sensor and live near bellingham off my jdm block wich is now in my 95gsx.. should work on your tsi.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back