The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Need advice on new motor!...Long

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candela

20+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2002
Austin, Arizona
Alright guys, unfortunately I found out that my head gasket is blown:mad: I previously did a compression check and found cylinders 1 and 2 to be low 150 while 3 and 4 were 170, and the valve seals are toast as well cause it burns oil and blows all kinds of smoke...The car has been running super hot lately (almost to red zone), and just earlier today I started it and it went straight to overheating at idle and started blowing out like tons of white smoke (smelled like coolant)...enough that made a little kid cryOMG

Im just going to order another motor but am not sure what to get or where from. I took out a lone and have 3500$ only. I really dont need a bulletproof motor. I would like to just have a 6 bolt with 2g pistons, balance shaft removed and some mild head work. Ive been looking at prices and found that fully built motor arent very much, but I just dont need that kind of backup. Im satisfied with my big16g and dont think that Ill upgrade, so I assume a stock bottom end will be sufficient...right? I dont have time to do anything myself, nor the tools or space, so I need to order from somewhere soon! I need my car to be running. Id love to get any and all suggestions from you all as to what type of setuo from where (cheapest ) I could get it from. I dont mind spending all 3500$, but this price has to include installation (~500$) of the motor as well.

If there are any other suggestions as to what route I should go please holla', cause I need to get this ball rolling ASAP. Thanks in advance...

Austin Candela

Ive checked magnus and DSmotorsport but found that they really only offer built motor and Im not looking for that ot the proce that comes along with them. Although I definetly *drool* with u bud...

You only need a top end rebuild. If you had 170-150 compression, the bottom end is in pretty good shape. You can re-do the top end for cheap. Just yank the head, get it machined and put in a new head gasket. You might want to do ARP head studs and all new timing belt, water pump, and tensioner while you've got it apart.

Kevin
www.agpturbo.com

Originally posted by candela
Anyone? I really need to get started on this....
First off you just relax. No one is here to jump when you ask for help. You can’t expect an immediate response at 1am its just not reasonable.

I agree with Kevin don’t rebuild the motor unless you really have to.

However if you are looking to rebuild a motor and make a decent amount of power on a daily driver I would recommend a 1g rod 2g piston motor. I have that on my car and it held 420+ hp on pump gas very well which is more than most people would consider making on 94 octane. If you already have a 6 bolt motor you would just need some machine work and some pistons from Conecelli. Overall it should cost you less that 1500 for a balanced, hot tanked, 1g rod 2 piston overbored motor. You will really notice the difference in compression over your stock 7:8:1.

Originally posted by rdrkt

However if you are looking to rebuild a motor and make a decent amount of power on a daily driver I would recommend a 1g rod 2g piston motor. I have that on my car and it held 420+ hp on pump gas very well which is more than most people would consider making on 94 octane. If you already have a 6 bolt motor you would just need some machine work and some pistons from Conecelli. Overall it should cost you less that 1500 for a balanced, hot tanked, 1g rod 2 piston overbored motor. You will really notice the difference in compression over your stock 7:8:1.

I plan on doing this same setup if my new one walks. Can you maybe point me in the right direction like a website or something? thanks. BTW it will be a 7 bolt..

hey Austin let me know what you decide to do. I am in the same boat. My head gasket is shot now too. I am getting the big 16 and looking for low 12s. I am not sure what I should be upgrading or replacing when I put the new head gasket in. I only have 90-100 psi per cyl. and almost 100,000 miles. best of luck and keep me updated, and I will do the same 4 U

Sorry I was just pissed after all Ive been through with this dang car. I think Ill probably go with that setup mentioned, it will definetly be adequate for power and I have limited funds. Thanks for the reply, sorry if I was grouchy:thumb:

for around 3k you can get a remanufactured engine from jasperengines it has removed balance shafts and all the problems theese engines had are corrected. also they come with a 3yr/75k warranty. just got mine back a month ago and it kicks @$$

Hard to say what's best for you to do really. You could just slap on a head gasket and get the head refreshed and go about your way. But, the possibility of the oil pump tanking on you or abnormal wear on bearings or rings could happen too. Not a common problem, but if you have the money, then why not get a fresh motor. If you're not in a position to comfortably do that, then just go the cheap and easy fix.

If you're not going to install the thing yourself, then I'd suggest having the installers build you a motor. That way you'll be the best deal all around. Unless you don't think they're capable of building a durable motor.

If you just want someone w/ a good reputation to build a good motor then I would suggest Polk Performance. Polk's prices are cheap and the quality is top notch. I don't think the website is up yet, but the number is 501-847-RACE(7223). Talk to Don. He's on this board too if you just want to ask him some Q's.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Originally posted by tsibribri
for around 3k you can get a remanufactured engine from jasperengines it has removed balance shafts and all the problems theese engines had are corrected. also they come with a 3yr/75k warranty. just got mine back a month ago and it kicks @$$

3k for a stock rebuild? Are you out of your mind? You could call up DSMotorsport and get an Eagle rod/Weisco piston motor for less and you could actually trust the machine work. My guess is that you couldn’t wipe your ass with the 75k warranty that they give you. Something tells me that the mods the average DSM has would instantly void any warranty. Remember that racing voids most warranties.

Also can you please tell us what problems that our motors have that they fixed.

Let me ask you a question would you rather get this:
Originally posted by rdrkt
It should cost you less that 1500 for a balanced, hot tanked, 1g rod 2 piston overbored motor.

or

Originally posted by tsibribri
for around 3k you can get a remanufactured engine from jasperengines it has removed balance shafts

Hey rd heres my dilema... I have about 3500$ to spend and want the aformentioned 6 bolt w/ 2g piston setup. There arent any places that sell a short or longblock like that (that I know of), so I guess Id have to do it my self. Id also like to get some mild porting done as long as the head is off. Would you think that would be wise to do without cams, would it make much of a difference at all with stock cams? I could give a fock about warranties, if its quality work thats enough of a warranty for me...they are overrated anyway. I guess Im just looking out for my wallet, as is everyone else. My goals arent huge and really only want roughly 300-330whp (race fuel of course) for a long term goal. Im having trouble (not much expeience) finding thr best value and taking the proper steps as to saving maoney in the long run so I don't have to take anything apart again for awhile and to get a little more power than just a stock 7.8 cr 6 bolt would give me...

Well I think Im in luck...I found a somewhat local guy that I might buy his 6bolt 2g piston motor from for a decent price, which might leave me with enough to oreder the dsmotorsport head w/bowl porting and some HKS cams...well see soon enough!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back