The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Need advice on best alternator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

952g63t

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2012
Summit Point, West_Virginia
My reman has failed, probably due to crappy brushes and/or heat exposure.

I am working on a few things that will reduce the amount of heat my replacement will see using some heat shielding and some ducting.

My question is about the 98 galant swap. Now, I get that the amp increase will not adversely affect anything but I wanted to ask you guys what manufacturer I should go with. And if any of you guys have had luck with the remanufactured versions. I am just tired of the alternator problem and want to at least find a longer term solution.

Thanks,

I use ones from autozone life time warranty, no problems here grab one and call it a day, but that's me nothing out of the ordinary as far as my electrical system.

Three primary things that kill alts: PS fluid leaking on them, no heat shield on manifold, continuous short.

Good alt brands: Denso, Bosch, AC Delco, Mitsubishi, Matsu, Komatsu, Hitachi.
Best place to get an alt (whether new or rebuilt) is an alternator/starter repair shop. Worst place is an autostore (what good is the autostore lifetime warranty when it keeps failing and you have to do the replacing each time?). (my personal soapbox take on this: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/alternator-output-problems.263621/page-2#post-151468330).

Last edited:
Well, the Galant alternator does not fit.

I got the alternator for a 98 galant 2.4l DE.

The mount bracket is not wide enough to fit.

either I am missing something or they gave me the wrong part.

:banghead:

You could look into a Saturn alternator to swap in. I think they are supposed to be a decent upgrade from the stockers.

Not sure what happened but I returned the 98 and picked up a 96 alt which is the right size.

When my alternator failed on a 96 gsx i had, i went to the junkyard and pulled an alternator off a 97 galant, worked perfect.
As long as the alterantor came off a 96-98 galant, it will fill with no problems.

Good grief if it's not one thing it's another...

This one went out on me yesterday. Luckily I was not far from home and was able to limp home.

I am going to try a new OEM. Haven't found any OEM galants, only evo 8 and eclipse. Is it possible to run evo alt? or should I just run the stocker?

Thanks,

If you got a lot of junk drawing a lot of power, or a bad battery, this will take out ALTS in a heartbeat.

Have to watch out in thinking on adding high amperage ALTS is the stock wiring for the vehicle is made for the stock ALTS.

Shove something heavier and the stock wiring may not handle the excessive current and can cause heating due to resistance and up to car fires.
Saturn ALTs are okey, but they have one flaw: with the one fan out front it can only pull the hot air out, whereas the Mitsu ALTS have dual fans-on each end of the rotor -so the end fan can push air in while the front fan can pull the heat out...and the fans are enclosed in the housing.

True though on preventing ALT failures. Follow the warnings above.

I run a modest set of electrical components. Standard size stereo, no amp. Boost, wide-band, oil pressure gauges and a timer.

I am going to stick to either a OEM eclipse (75 amp?) or Galant 90 amp. I believe it was just the luck of the draw with a re-manufactured alt from advanced auto. I tried to cheap out on the alt and got what I deserved I suppose.

Thanks for the feedback,

ive had my galant alt on for about 1 year now and ive not got any shields on and its still running perfect! granted i dont know how well built they will be from 1 place to another but mines no even breathed any issues and is coping quite well

With modest electrical a standard size alt is fine. Just stay away from re-man'd alts that the auto stores sell like the plague - they are worthless even with their free lifetime replacement policy!!!! Either get a brand new quality name brand one (auto stores have some name brands too but they'll always try to sell you a reman one since they make more money off them) or get a new or reconditioned one from a real starter/alt repair shop. And make sure the PS is not leaking on it and have the heat shield on exhaust mani (PS leaking fluid or excessive heat destroys alts).

I have a remand from O'Reilly, Even though the alt is still preforming well and working like it should. About 500 miles after i installed it the 4 bolts holding the housing together started backing out, One was just about all the way out before i noticed it and the other three were loose. I applied some red Loctite and Re-TQ'd the bolts, 1,000 miles later its still holding strong.

I get mine from a local ALT/Starter shop. Even done my own rebuilds, esp with replacing com brushes and starter contacts.

I get a small discount since I know the owner.

True, stay away from O'Reillys and AutoZone ... "phew", the reman stuff they sell and charge plenty!

I have used autozone ones and they do well for me lifetime warranty of course anything breaks but ive only used them for over 20 years and they hold up well but, compared to what else nothing so i cant say any other brand is better for a altenator.

Sad is that most reman alts were originally made by Mitsu - notice the Mitsu symbol on the end of the case.

Bet you can go out to a yard and snag a good dozen of them for cheap and all are in working condition.

But, plan on a decent core charge for each purchased.

I have used autozone ones and they do well for me lifetime warranty of course anything breaks but ive only used them for over 20 years and they hold up well but, compared to what else nothing so i cant say any other brand is better for a altenator.
I know I'll be labeled a necromancer for this but sometimes I'm blown away by how hard it is to decode some people's sentences...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back