The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need advice on 1g Head/intake on 2g motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizychild

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2002
Eau_Claire_WI
Curious if any problems would be encountered by taking a 4g63 1g non-turbo head and putting it on my 2g, due to the increased flow capabilities of it. It is from a 94 eclipse. It would not come with cams, so would the 2g cams go into it? (this isnt too important cus I might just go with aftermarket while im at it anyways). At the same time I would be buying a 1g intake and throttle body to go with it, if I do decide to do this. Since everything was off I would of course also get it all ported.

The key here is that the 1g head is from a 4g63 but NON-TURBO. I am not exactly sure if it is still identical to the turbo models. Ive read sites explaining that it can be done with this head, although they didnt say if it was identical to the turbo head from may '92 to 94 which has larger cooling passages then prior to may '92.

I'd prefer to do this right the first time or I'd rather not do it at all. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Please any reponse would be helpful as to the 1g N/T head. This head is up for auction and will not be so much longer. Main thing I'm wondering is if the head is in fact the same as the turbo heads of the same year. Any help is *greatly* appreciated.

The 1g head is a good imporvment over the 2g head.

You might consider taking your head off and having the 1g rebuilt with your parts.

I think the springs on a turbo are better than the springs from a non turbo. You could also get a spring and retainer set from crower or hks, they arent that expensive and you would have new springs.

I was only charged around 125 to have a head teaken apart, 3 angle valve job, and reassembled.

Im still learning a LOT about this stuff, but isnt the head from a NT still physically different then a turbo of the same exact year? I believe I saw some earlier posts about oil squirters being different or is that just in the short block? If there is anything about the NT head that might mean it couldnt handle a turbo as well as a turbo head, then I will just save my time and get a better head later. This is where I am still learning and need any advice possible to get me on my way.

No the head should be identical between turbo and non turbo.

It is just the cams and valve springs that are different.

Sorry I dont wanna sound like a pest to anyone but any advice I could get AS SOON AS POSSIBLE would be greatly appreciated (ie the next couple hours since the auction for this head will be up within that time frame. As far as I understand, only the cams are different. If anyone knows anything other then that, PLEASE let me know.

Search is your friend.. They both answered your question. The 1G N/T head is identical to a turbo head other then the cams.

I dont suggest buying it though. I think at the stage your at it is poinltess to put on a different head. The 2G head has put down very impressive times. The only way I would swap out the head is if you needed to replace the Tbelt or the head gasket. Otherwise start saving your $$ for fuel and turbo.

Thanks larryd,
Ya I was searching and I found a little stuff on it but it wasnt informative enough for me to feel absolutely confident. I finally jumped in on a similar thread that already had many posts and got the answer I was looking for right away. I understand that changing the head wont do anything for me now, but since I got a good deal on it from a guy who lives relatively near to me, I figured I would just get it and put it in maybe next winter at the earliest, AFTER turbo/fuel upgrades hopefully this summer. It all depends on the almighty power of the $$$. So far my car is more or less stock except for intake/exhaust. Lots of work to do, and it is driving me insane having my car stored at a place I cant get to it up here in cold ass Wisconsin!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back