The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Need a tune?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acruton

Probationary Member
May 20, 2022
Littleton, New_Hampshire
Hello! I have a 7 bolt 97 gst, with the tdo5h 16g turbo, with a 3 inch intercooler piping and a greedy blow off valve. And the rest is stock from what the tuner I went to told me. I went to baxlys speed shop in Windham Maine, and they said I needed a new intercooler and to clean a few things up on the car, like a few missing bolts here n there. They also said I need a tuneable ecu from ecmtuining.com? The ecu in the car now is stock. When I would try to hit boost, it would cut out and buck a bit. Previous owner said that it just needs a tune, so that's why I took it to have it looked at, and that's what they told me. Not sure if theirs a way around the problem? Please let me know. Thanks so much!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey Bud, he's got a 97 so no blackbox from the factory. The blackbox's only showed up in late 98/99 2g's.

That being said, @Acruton, check out these links... If you don't do your own research then it's going to cost you money because tuner shops will take advantage of your ignorance.
- Basic ordering process
- EPROM ECU check
If you don't have an EPROM after you check you can convert your non-EPROM ECU by paying ECMLink to do it for you...
- ECMLink with 97 ECU

Here's the sites list of modifications and in the appropriate order so you don't get too far ahead of yourself, which it sounds like the previous owner did going straight to a turbo upgrade.
2g Basic HP Upgrades

Hello! I have a 7 bolt 97 gst, with the tdo5h 16g turbo, with a 3 inch intercooler piping and a greedy blow off valve. And the rest is stock from what the tuner I went to told me. I went to baxlys speed shop in Windham Maine, and they said I needed a new intercooler and to clean a few things up on the car, like a few missing bolts here n there. They also said I need a tuneable ecu from ecmtuining.com? The ecu in the car now is stock. When I would try to hit boost, it would cut out and buck a bit. Previous owner said that it just needs a tune, so that's why I took it to have it looked at, and that's what they told me. Not sure if theirs a way around the problem? Please let me know. Thanks so much!

How you proceed will be dependent on what you're doing with the car. If the answer is "I just want to go faster" we can still help but it's more difficult to do so if we don't have some more information. I would suggest starting here..

A dsm is a very modifiable capable vehicle in the right hands. It's a money pit and a maintenance nightmare in the wrong hands.
Your 16g compressor wheel is trashed. You have what looks like an ebay tubular manifold, not know for quality of longevity but probably isn't hurting anything now unless it's cracked.

Your bucking cutting out etc is likely fuel cut and yes you need something to tune with etc to deal with this. It's way more than that though. Please check out the resources page also.

Please make a profile for yourself and the car and let us know your skill level so we can help you in the right direction. We likely assume anybody who joins here is doing the work themselves or trying to learn how to etc.

Have you checked the timing and spark plug gap? Their a link here that does remote tuning perhaps that would be better. Unsure if it’s driveable but we use Wayne speed in long island ny.

The 95 has an ecu that can be socketed and then run ecmlink.

Yes I f***ed up with the ecu part my bad I know better. Bad bud, go take a timeout

Can I just put a stock 95 ecu in then? And how do I go about getting these sockets for it? How much is that gonna cost?

Have you checked the timing and spark plug gap? Their a link here that does remote tuning perhaps that would be better. Unsure if it’s driveable but we use Wayne speed in long island ny.

It is drivable, have new copper plugs in it with only like 100 miles on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I just put a stock 95 ecu in then? And how do I go about getting these sockets for it? How much is that gonna cost?

It is drivable, have new copper plugs in it with only like 100 miles on them.
Read the links that I posted above...

Turbo appears to be a MHI Big 16G from what little I could gather from the photos, but it has a Chinese knockoff turbine housing as noted by the straight actuator arm and adjustable actuator rod. In all likelihood nobody ported the wastegate hole and you're experiencing boost creep...which is going to continue to be a problem even after fuel system and tuning upgrades.

Remove the turbo. Lose that crack-prone tubular manifold in favor of an OEM 2G manifold with the collector ported to 60mm. Port the wastegate hole on the turbo leaving about 1/8" around the radius for the flapper valve to seal. Offset the actuator arm about half the distance of the pin on the flapper lever with the adjustment (meaning you'll have to pull the arm out to get it over the pin), then reinstall the turbo on the car with the OEM 2G cast manifold.

You appear to have one of the CX Racing intercooler kits- this is fine for a 16G-sized turbo, but you'll need to remove the cover on the blow off valve and remove the smaller of the two springs, then tighten the adjustment screw about 2 to 2-1/2 turns from initial contact if you want it to work properly...otherwise it can potentially damage the turbo from too much spring tension. You can also run a 1G blow off valve instead of that Chinese thing if you're looking to "set it and forget it" as the flange is drilled for both types of valves.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back