The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Need 4 new tires: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ vs A/S 4?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
I was all set to finally take my newly semi-restored '92 Talon TSi AWD manual to get inspected, when one of the tires, all of which needed to be replaced soon anyway, went totally flat and no longer able to be pumped full of air. I'm guessing a valve leak, but it doesn't really matter as they all have to go. Dry rot and sitting around for years has done its thing.

In the past I've usually gotten Michelin and been happy with them, although they don't last that long. But this is a car for fun, not practicality, so I can live with that. I'm thinking of getting either the Pilot Sport All Season 3+ or All Season 4. Any thoughts as to which of the two are "better" (this being a loaded and subjective word)?

Should I consider other brands? I know so little about tires and there's a vast number of brands and models out there. I've always got my tires at Costco, since they have good prices and always carry Michelin, and I just trust them to not mess up installation.

I'm a somewhat aggressive driver, but not excessively so, and don't race, track, launch or do any of these things, nor do I intend to. Fastest I generally drive is 65-70, at least around here. I also light to take turns and curves pretty tight and fast. But all seasons also a must as I have no room for 2 sets of tires and it snows and gets icy a lot around here, as well as rains a lot.

I also like Michelin, but you should know that BFG is now just a brand of Michelin. I got their (BFG) g-force comp 2 a/s plus in the stock size (205/55ZR16). Haven't driven enough to have formed any impressions, but the reviews were good. They saved me around $100 on the set over Michelins. One thing I keep in mind is that tire technology, materials, and manufacturing has increases so much since 1990 (or 92, in your case) that all other things being equal, both performance and comfort will be better than when these cars were new, assuming you mount a premium quality performance tire. So in a way, you can't go wrong. I've had great luck ordering from Tirerack, probably 5 or 6 times in the last 15 years or so. Next year I may get some snow tires, and want some factory 16" steelies to mount them on. I like Bridgestone Blizzaks for that, though again, Michelin makes a very good one (but you pay more).
Are you sticking with stock wheel and/ or tire size? Could probably fit 215/50R16 without much issues for bigger contact patch.

^Agreed. Z3s for the summer and Ice-X otherwise. It has been a very long time since I used all-seasons on any car. Cooper Zeon RS3-a in 2012 is the most recent and it was just okay. Fuzion HRi were merely passable. Futura 2000 was the most sporty but heaven forbid it gets humid where you live because those tires were terrified of moisture. I could list lots of all-seasons to avoid but I have no experience with Michelin or any decent ones. Once I graduated college I went to Dunlop Direzza ZIIss/ZIII and never looked back. Tread life is so good that I've never worn out a set, but I think that says more about how often my cars are running than anything else.

Edit: one can always find space for more wheels.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
So where I live all-season tires are summer tires. We run Blizzak DM-V2 on my Wife's Rav4 Year Round!! We can get snow in July, especially on mountain passes. I have driven to work in my gsx a few times now this winter on snowy roads, and it did OK, so these tires should be fine for most occasional winter use in most places (like NYC, I presume). You wouldn't want to go out on the day of the few big storms, but otherwise, should be OK. Anyone else using all-season rubber for spirited d/d? BTW, the tires that came on my gsx when I purchased it from Florida were M/S rated Douglas-brand ???(never heard of them). I think perhaps the P/O was using it for some kind of dirt track racing? They had 2014 date codes. And they leaked air. But they did OK in a Nebraska hail storm I had to drive through!!:p

I don't drive the car in inclement weather anymore. As such i run michelin pilot super sport and will replace these with a pilot sport 4s. If i needed all season it would be michelin. As3 and as4 are likely very similar. The lower treadwear of the two if any is likely more sporty

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Michelin Pilot Sport 4(+) or Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS. Both are all season as I simply have no room for an alternate set of 4 tires. I'm sure there are other good choices but I just want to get the car on the road again after 5+ years and all this work and it would likely be hair-splitting looking at yet other tires for my driving style and needs.

I actually drive quite a bit in inclement weather and the A/S tread works well for me and I don't mind and probably won't notice the performance hit (tread life is another matter though). And I've had previous versions of both tires and have been happy with each.

It actually depends more on where I buy it. If I go with Costco then it's the Bridgestones, and if I go with BJ's it'll be the Michelins. Since I've always preferred Michelin (no reason, maybe it's because I also put Michelins on my road bike, or they're French, dunno), and they'd run me around $60 less total, I'll probably end up going with them. It's just that I've long bought my tires from Costco so I'm used to it.

Btw, for those who are looking to buy tires from Costco, their current buy 4 get 1 free offer ends on the 24th and is only for Bridgestone, and there's no tire offer in January.

Edit: one can always find space for more wheels.

Unless one lives in a smallish apartment. :toobad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back