The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

need 2 tie rods replaced...... is this cost reasonable at mechanics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGdsmNewb

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 19, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
Car has needed ball joints for the longest time...... it's at the point now where the mechanic says if i hit a pot hole my wheel is going to fall off.

so i need 2 tie rods + an alignment and the mechanic is quoting me 400 bucks (canadian).

Im broke as crap and really dont have that money, so what i was thinking was trying to find tie rods at a junk yard here and doing it myself with a friend.... im not sure if i could do it myself though,

any help guys?

I would never put a used tie rod end on any car. Just buy new tie rod ends and replace them yourself. There not that hard, just make sure to spray some PB blaster on them a day or 2 before you plan on replacing them to help the nut loosen up easier.

You can also count how many turns it takes to get the tie rod out, then screw the new one on that many turns and your alignment should be close enough were you can get by without an alignment.

If you're talking about the outer tie rods, it's a pretty simple deal. They are about $50 new and are pretty simple to replace.

You'll most likely need an impact gun to get the nut off the old tie rod. Then you may need a pickle fork (or similar tool) to pry out the ball joint. Then on the other side there is a retaining nut you'll need to hold down with something like a 19-20mm wrench while you turn the tie rod out with an adjustable wrench. If you keep the retaining nut in the same place your alignment should be pretty spot on.

Then if you want an alignment, that should be no more than $100 US

definitely go new. is it inner and outer tierod ends? both sides? 400 sounds about right for our shop if its all that plus an alignment. its kinda involved to do inners and outers.

shouldnt need a impact for the but on the outer tie rod, but it would make it easier! also, youll need to rent an inner tie rod tool if your replacing those. if you are doing an inner, count the number of times you spin off the outer tie rod end, so when you put the new one on there the alignment will be kinda close. then drive it to an alignment shop.

hmm, thinking i ll just let the shop do it....... im not sure if it's inner or outter, i haven't grabbed my car yet and seen the actual assessment.

Thanks for the replies, wish i had 400 bones, shit LOL

its easy to see what is worn out. do this on both sides

jack up the car so that the wheel is off the ground. grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o clock and shake it from side to side. you might want someone to help you look, but see which moves, the inner or outer. usually its the outer, but the inners go bad as well. if you cant tell, have someone else shake the wheel as you grab the inner tie rod( which is the long part, btw) and see if you can feel it moving. difficult to explain without being there. they really are easy to change.

NAPA also has some decent ones in the $20-30 range. If you're just doing the outers (they wear out more often than inners) it's pretty easy (inners are harder) but you'll need a pickle fork or small ball joint separator (you can rent one). Counting the turns is a good start point but beware I've found not all after market tie rod ends have the same length between the ball joint stud and the end of the threads (compare your new with old). If they're different you'll need toe alignment which you can do yourself: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/338063-my-alignment-page-attached.html#post151879230. :D

NAPA also has some decent ones in the $20-30 range. If you're just doing the outers (they wear out more often than inners) it's pretty easy (inners are harder) but you'll need a pickle fork or small ball joint separator (you can rent one). Counting the turns is a good start point but beware I've found not all after market tie rod ends have the same length between the ball joint stud and the end of the threads (compare your new with old). If they're different you'll need toe alignment which you can do yourself: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/338063-my-alignment-page-attached.html#post151879230. :D

Hey. thanks again for the replies!

k im gonna try doing this myself.... i went and the guy says i just need 2 of the front OUTTER tie rods...

i mean if i find that i cant do it i can always go the mechanic route.

are all 95 talon TSI tie rods the same or is it different for AWD vs non awd

yeah 400 sounds steep. if its the outter i just replaced my for 15 a side i did my own alignment as i have access to an alignment rack but a toe set shouldnt be more than 50 usd thats all we charge and i work for a stealorship

so im looking at NAPA and see

Tie Rod End - Outer MRC
ES2347
$14.99

Tie Rod End - Outer

NCP

$37.49

Tie Rod End - Outer

ATM
$11.29

LOL which ones do i want to order??? and im gonna need 2 correct?? strong noob :(

I'd order them from here. 1995 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE GSX Tie Rod End

I think I'm running the RAYBESTOS Part # 4011479 for $22.79
If you're really on a budget, they have some in the $6-7 range. Those are the service grade ones. They might not like the beating us "spirited" drivers do.

How about this..... go to the dealer and demand they replace them under the lifetime recall.....? I cant believe no one suggested that...

shit i jus got my tie rod ends replaced and had an alighnment done, i bought the tie rods for 12.00 a piece and gave it to the front end shop an they did it for 60.00 that incudes 4 wheel alighnment too

but the other shop that i normally go to would havedone it for 15 dollars U.S but my tierods were so bad the ball was falling out an i almost lost controll of mine on rout 2, well the highway =/ but ya that would have been a shitty night. but if you have a WORLD AUTOPARTS neer you get the part from them

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back