The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Nashville, TN DSM Mechanic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSIdad

Proven Member
Apr 1, 2021
Nashville, Tennessee
Can anyone recommend a good 2G DSM mechanic in Nashville, TN?

My son and I recently purchased our / his first DSM. It's a 1995 Talon TSI AWD Turbo. On the second day the clutch hit the floor so we had it towed home. The previous owner has documentation that the clutch was replaced two years ago. At that time the flywheel was also resurfaced. Based on this info I went ahead and replaced the master, slave, and refreshed the fluids. The clutch will engage but only about a 1/4" off the floor. The slave cylinder is shifted more toward the passenger side at rest, and when I push it with my hand toward the drivers side it doesn't rebound. I re-bled the system but no air is present. Others have said they think the pivot ball probably wasn't shimmed when the flywheel was machined which is messing up the leverage and geometry. Unfortunately I'm currently swapping an engine on another project, and my wife's car needs a sensor replaced so I'm strapped for time, and don't know the 4G63 platform all that well. Is this something you could help us with? My son is dying to drive his new whip, but it's parked for now. Thanks, Richard

My son and I recently purchased our / his first DSM. It's a 1995 Talon TSI AWD Turbo. On the second day the clutch hit the floor so we had it towed home. The previous owner has documentation that the clutch was replaced two years ago. At that time the flywheel was also resurfaced. Based on this info I went ahead and replaced the master, slave, and refreshed the fluids. The clutch will engage but only about a 1/4" off the floor. The slave cylinder is shifted more toward the passenger side at rest, and when I push it with my hand toward the drivers side it doesn't rebound. I re-bled the system but no air is present. Others have said they think the pivot ball probably wasn't shimmed when the flywheel was machined which is messing up the leverage and geometry. Unfortunately I'm currently swapping an engine on another project, and my wife's car needs a sensor replaced so I'm strapped for time, and don't know the 4G63 platform all that well. Is this something you could help us with? My son is dying to drive his new whip, but it's parked for now. Thanks, Richard
I'd be happy to help. I sent you a PM.

Last edited:
What clutch did the previous owner put in? And if they stepped the flywheel incorrectly, the clutch will never disengage properly. Make sure you don’t have clutch drag. Put the car in first gear, push clutch all the way in, rev car to 7k. If the car moves forward, you have clutch drag.

What clutch did the previous owner put in? And if they stepped the flywheel incorrectly, the clutch will never disengage properly. Make sure you don’t have clutch drag. Put the car in first gear, push clutch all the way in, rev car to 7k. If the car moves forward, you have clutch drag.
Yes, tried this last weekend. It definitely has clutch drag. The car had two previous owners in the past two years, so no idea what clutch went in it, and I’m guessing they didn’t step the flywheel correctly.

@IHeartMyHonda you still working on DSM's? Someone in Nashville is looking to do a clutch and they dont know any one trusting. If you been around them for 15 years your skilled enough. Gont any details i can pass onto them please

@IHeartMyHonda you still working on DSM's? Someone in Nashville is looking to do a clutch and they dont know any one trusting. If you been around them for 15 years your skilled enough. Gont any details i can pass onto them please
Sorry for the delayed response. I do still work on them. In fact, I will be doing a rebuild on OPs engine in a couple of weeks. I'll pm you with my info so you can pass it on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back