1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

N00b Transmission Swap Questions (92 trans into a 90 AWD)

Posted by femmeDSM, Jan 18, 2006

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    I feel dumb asking this, but I have never done transmission work, so I figured I would check on this before I screw something up.... Haha.

Got a quote on a transmission rebuild for my 90 AWD trans, and....let's just say..."No, thanks".

However, I found a good deal on a local 92 AWD trans & x-case in good shape and am thinking of going ahead w/ the swap and just doing it myself (with knowledgeable helpers, obviously).

I currently have a 90 trans with 92+ shifter, cables and bracket.

Is there anything special involved in switching out a 90 --> 92 trans, or is it basically a straightforward thing? Like, any additional parts that I might need to purchase to make this work, or will it just bolt up? Additionally, is there anything recommended that I can do while my trans is out? I was thinking of installing a set of poly motor mounts while I was down there, for example....

Any insight appreciated, as always :)

2. allwheelTSI

allwheelTSI Proven Member

Joined Sep 9, 2002
    Hendersonville, North Carolina
    I think you may need to use the 92 transfer case aswell. I believe the splines are different.. You may want to think about a good clutch if you're planning on making some power (if you don't already have one.)

EDIT.. Ok I saw your profile. NVM about the clutch.

538  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    manual · 1G DSM
    femmeDSM likes this.
  3. dnhieu

dnhieu Proven Member

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    panama city, Florida
    I have done this job about 3-4 times in about 4-6 months. 2 times it was for myself and 2 othertimes it was to help my buddies. This was all done on 1st gens and i followed this vfaq every time. http://www.vfaq.com/mods/clutch-1G.html. if i were you i would replace the clutch, oem tob (throw out bearing), flywheel,steel braided brake line,cluth fork and pivot ball and slave cylinder. If you choose to just replace the clutch and not the flywheel you will need to get the flywheel resurfaced. If you buy both the clutch and the flywheel just throw the whole thing together. Also dont forget to shim the pivot ball it helps with enguagement.

hope that helps
    David-

edit:sorry about spelling i am not good at it and without spell check your out of luck haha

626  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
    femmeDSM likes this.
  4. dnhieu

dnhieu Proven Member

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    panama city, Florida
    yes he will need the matching transfercase too! remember their are a few diffrent sets of splines from year to year. I cant exactly remember which year has which.

626  0

manual · 2G DSM
  5. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Should have mentioned, I have an ACT2600 already installed (bought the car that way). Also, master and slave cyls have been replaced. Good idea about the steel braided brake line -- hadn't thought of that. :thumb: Any excuse to buy more "fun" parts, I guess, LOL.

dnhieu, you seem good at this stuff -- if you lived by me I would kidnap you and make you help me, LOL. ;)

Anyway, thanks :) Everyone gets rep points, as always :thumb:

6. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    Yeah, the transfer case is included w/ the transmission I'm buying. Made sure of this before I put in the offer to buy it :)

7. allwheelTSI

allwheelTSI Proven Member

Joined Sep 9, 2002
    Hendersonville, North Carolina

SHE.. ;)

538  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas

Haha :thumb:

9. dnhieu

dnhieu Proven Member

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    panama city, Florida
    WOW now since im single i would let you steal me LOL . Anyways back on topic. 20 bucks for a steel braided clutch line is well worth the money. It would also be a good time to get yourself some Penzoil syncromesh in that transmission.

Hope that helps
    David-

626  0

manual · 2G DSM
  10. femmeDSM

femmeDSM Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    D/FW, Texas
    I've been using Redline MT-90 in the tranny and transfer case :thumb: All good so far (except for the fact that my transmission is dead, LOL).

11. dnhieu

dnhieu Proven Member

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    panama city, Florida
    oOo yeah your going to need a friend to help you take out the transmission plus put it back in. everything else you can probably put back together yourself.

626  0

manual · 2G DSM
  12. dnhieu

dnhieu Proven Member

Joined Aug 16, 2004
    panama city, Florida
    Also Penzoil syncromesh is cheap as sh** and you dont have to wait for it. It works just like BG Syncromesh but like 10 dollars a bottle cheaper.

626  0

manual · 2G DSM