The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

N/T to turbo swap. Got a question and need to vent a bit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2342

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2004
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
I'm going a to start this post with a bit of a back story on the car I'm working on. A few months ago my buddy decided he wanted another DSM after being out of it for a few years. For whatever reason he picked up a 91 laser N/T for 900$ that someone had claimed was a running turbo swapped car. I didn't see the car before he bought but I most definitely would have talked him out of it. The guy told him the head gasket blew out and it didn't run very good. My buddy claims the guy started it for him but it quickly died because it was out of gas. This guy also told him it had the following mods:
2g pistons with 1g rods
MHI E316g
550 injectors
3" gm maf with translator
Safc2
Pretty big FMIC
BSEK
and a few other minor upgrades

This car is a complete mess!!! I've never seen a more half assed example of a DSm in real life before. First off, the FMIC is destroyed. The entire lower portion of it has been hit and ripped off. The intercooler piping was a mix of plastic, aluminum, and steel piping held together with duct tape(not kidding) and more couplers than I've ever seen used. The turbo is merely a knock off ebay turbo but it does look almost new. We took the head off and no 2g pistons but it does have the BSEk installed and it looks correct. It has the stock 450cc injectors, and the wiring is a complete nightmare. The only thing this guy told the truth about was that it does have a full turbo 6bolt installed but he never even finished wiring it up. While I was trying to figure it out I found that he never put the MAF wire or the knock sensor wire into the ECU. For the resistor block he made the wires about 8" long and simply flopped it over the intake manifold. He didn't even have the SAFC2 wired in correctly. I could go on and on about all the problems I've found on this car.

I've spent the last few weeks after work trying to help my friend figure out what the hell this guy did to this thing and I've gotten most of it straightened out. I basically had to completely undue and re due everything this guy did. There is no way this car ever ran in the condition it was in. I don't understand how someone could mess up so many things in one car. I'm seriously starting to doubt it will ever run. The wiring problems alone are maddening but it's getting there. I've been using this thread to sort out he wiring. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/1g-n-t-tech/55457-installing-turbo-4g63-into-nt-4g63.html

So now that I've gotten everything fixed and wired in properly I've come across something I haven't found in any of my searches. What do I use to pin the MAF and knock wires into the ECU? I think I know were they go but I didn't have the ECu pinout with me tonight so may be looking at the wrong holes? Is there a place to buy the pins or do I have to do something else because they are just empty holes. Once I finish up the wiring we can start doing the simple stuff and try to get it running. Sorry for such a long post but I needed to vent a bit. I seriously wanted to blast the guy who sold my friend this car in the face. I mostly blame my friend for not checking it over better but now i just want to help him get it running.

I thought about that but I wouldn't need the entire plug would I? I would just need 2 pins with a length of wire on them. I didn't know if there was another way to do it or not.

I did see some one makes a jumper harness for our cars would cost more but then you just cut and splice what wires you need I belive it was AMS who made it.

Edit: Sorry its AEM not AMS

They are expencive $150 Here is a link: AEM - ECU Patch/Extension Harness This is for a 2g not sure if it would work on a 1g.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back