The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G N/A Block on a GS-T??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StxvxC

Probationary Member
Jan 26, 2023
Mission, Texas
Hello, this is my first post here and I'm pretty confused.

I recently jumped on a 98' GST and did a whole bunch of research on the car. I'm changing all the old cruddy vacuum lines on it today as the first thing I do to this car. It was running rough and the existing boost gauge showed vacuum was very low so I bought a kit of vacuum line.

I got underneath the car, just now, to take a look and I noticed a bent turbo coolant line facing the radiator. I tried to see where it would connect to the block and didn't notice anywhere. Then I noticed the flywheel and transmission look oddly close to the oil pan. Then a shitty replacement for a bell housing bolt to bolt up to the block.

So all of that combined with no visual of the coolant line hole for the turbo makes me think this might not be the correct block?

Sorry guys I'm 21 and super new to this, I came from the VW/Audi world LOL. Where should I start to check what block this is, if it isn't the original? super confused. TIA!

p.s. I know the block is super dirty, I haven't had a chance to clean any of it. Here for help, advice and guidance, not criticism for things I didn't do to it.

btw they also put coins and like 15 washers to hold the turbo oil line 🤢.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

where should I start to check what block this is, if it isn't the original? super confused. TIA!
It's not the original block, your block has been swapped with a 1g block. Not a problem, it's a common modification. To determine if it's a 1g 6 bolt or 7 bolt block, take more pics from timing belt side and upload them. Or search about the differences between 6 bolt and 7 bolt, you will find how to determine.
a shitty replacement for a bell housing bolt to bolt up to the block
Most likely previous owner broke the front transmission mounting tab on the block.

BTW, welcome :thumb:

Last edited:
I read that the oil pan on the 6-bolts bulge out slightly under the crank pulley, so i went to check that and sure enough it's bulged out. I also saw RRE's guide to 6-bolt swap the 2G's and i think my car has the engine mount modification for the water pump. It's super dirty so it's hard to tell but i tried to get the best picture without removing anything. in person it seems to have a grinded down finish. Also, i read that the 6-bolts don't have a crank sensor so i believe that's what that little connector just hanging around is. Now my question is, if this is a 6-bolt, do I still have the 2G head?

Based on that picture, I would agree it appears to be a 6-bolt bottom end.

Looks like the 2G head was retained, which is good since it most definitely still has the 2G intake manifolds. It is using a 1G CAS which supports the notion and that the bottom end is from a 1G. Refer to this for identifying heads: How to distinguish 7 bolt head, 6 bolt non-turbo head, & 6 bolt turbo head

Not exactly sure what you’re showing us circled on the second picture. The mount does look a bit funny to me. But the modification to the mount should be around the lower water pump mounting , not where the picture is focused.

The connector / wire in the 3rd pic is for either the oil pressure sensor or switch on the oil filter housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back