The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Mysterious Massive Oil Leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropXprt

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
Springfield, Illinois
Well I'm baffled. After a short drive home from work this past saturday my car left approximately an 8" round puddle of oil in the driveway. It was a nice steady drip too. It looked like it was leaking under the timing cover somewhere. So I check this dipstick and there's barely enough oil left to leave a mark on the thing. Well I parked it in the grass until last night when I pulled all the stuff on the timing area off of the engine. Now there was residual oil all over under the timing belt cover, so I wiped it all clean. Btw I put more oil in the engine... anyhow I start the car up with all the stuff out of the way hoping to see this leak expose itself, but it will not leak at all now, everything stays dry. I've revved the hek out of the engine, to try and help push some of that oil out but nothing. No leak exposure whatsoever.

Any suggestions?

I wasn't planning on pulling the engine until the weather warmed up a bit... so now I'm riding my motorcycle in 35 degree weather, I love my car sooo much :barf: .

Have you eliminated the bs? Ive seen the plug pop half way out of the front bs hole and leak terribly under load. Mine did it and so has a friends. I would just check while you have the tb cover off.

PropXprt said:
Well I'm baffled. After a short drive home from work this past saturday my car left approximately an 8" round puddle of oil in the driveway.

Any suggestions?

I wasn't planning on pulling the engine until the weather warmed up a bit... so now I'm riding my motorcycle in 35 degree weather, I love my car sooo much :barf: .

Have we forgotten the obvious that has been reported by many who are anticipating an overhaul. Oil dipstick blew out half way and stuck there as long as the engine was running hard and forcing oil out the tube. Once normal speeds resumed and a couple bumps it slides back into place. Owner doesn't notice it's not completely seated and checks oil level and restores to proper position.

Now is the time to tie it down, use a small bungie, plastic tie, safety wire etc. or run the risk of it blowing completely out and landing on the roadway.

Any bets?

Cheers,
GTM

The oil pan is clean all the way around, except in the front where the oil ran down onto the lip.
The reason for pulling the engine when the weather turns is that I'd like to install forged internals, the engine isn't real worn yet (compression still decent ~140 all the way, doesn't burn much oil, just leaks it now I guess :p )
I have removed the balance shafts but I didn't pull the front one, I left it in place with the gear and bolt in it (I plan on pulling it out all the way when I remove the engine.)

Anyway, I'm going to throw it back together and see if I can get it to leak after a decent drive. I will report again later.

Does the car leak only while running? Or does it leak even when just sitting?

Somehow one of the lines off the oil filter managed to loosen out and I dumped oil about 2 quarts within 6 hours of driving or so. Buit it wouldn't leak while the car was off.

PropXprt said:
The oil pan is clean all the way around, except in the front where the oil ran down onto the lip.
The reason for pulling the engine when the weather turns is that I'd like to install forged internals, the engine isn't real worn yet (compression still decent ~140 all the way, doesn't burn much oil, just leaks it now I guess :p )
I have removed the balance shafts but I didn't pull the front one, I left it in place with the gear and bolt in it (I plan on pulling it out all the way when I remove the engine.)

Anyway, I'm going to throw it back together and see if I can get it to leak after a decent drive. I will report again later.

It would be a first if a lip seal ever fixed it's self. I have seen oil filters not properly installed leak and then reseal themselves but that has to do with the locking design.

Since you have known blowby the dipstick still is my best guess. If you don't find anything at least tie a string on the dipstick so when it blows completely out you don't loose it. There are plenty of posts and threads citing this and I know it happened on my son's car on 2 different occasions. Cleaning or replacing the PVC valve can prove to prevent the problem if it can't handle the blowby especially when boosting.

You can take it to the do it yourself car wash and clean things. When you park the car at home put some newspapers under the car and weight them down.

Cheers,
GTM

I fought with the same situation, couldn't find the leak unless I had boosted the car then parked it. When I jacked the car up for an oil change I found that the oil filter was REALLY REALLY loose. Turns out the oil cooler bolt that attaches it to the block was almost loose enough to fall out. I think it was a deep socket 23mm or 24mm. Check that out as a possibility. Whatever you do don't overtighten it or you'll crush the guts of the cooler. If that bolt is loose, for some reason the filter will not stay sealed. This fixed my problem, good luck. :dsm: :thumb:

I was having the same problem last night :cry:

I figured first try the oil filter... loose as a 37 yr old mother of 11 looking for a business man to support her and her kids...

Anyway, I am swapping out the VC tonight and hope that the filter was the cause of the mess.

As a side note I immediately thought that the shop that did my 120K maintanence screwed up on seating a seal or something; however, before I yell at them I better try the easy stuff.

Be sure and report back with your findings :)

PropXprt said:
I will check the oil filter again, and put something on the dipstick to secure it in place. Still no leaks yet though.

Those are the most logical from what we know, the dipstick has probably been reported the greatest number of times. It is unusual though that the leak appeared to have originated from the front only. If all the fittings associated with the oil filter prove to be secure then in all probability either blowby or an explosion in the intake manifold caused the dipstick to be forced up and allowing oil to escape. More radical is a crankcase explosion which can do significant damage and would hardly escape notice when it occured.

Cheers,
GTM

PropXprt said:
I confirmed the oil filter being tight, and I pinched dipstick tube. Thanks for the information you all.

Ah, you have been searching the archives and found that others had pinched the tube. Once you fix the engine it won't blow out and you have a pinched tube. I'm of mixed feeling on that but you can always replace it when it's time to sell the car.

Cheers,
GTM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back