The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

my98gsx's 1999 Eclipse GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well decided to make a huge change and switch over to a Haltech ecu with drive by wire. As my car is down due to the engine damage, I'm going to start on this conversion. Shout out to evospec performance for making this very cool evo-x dbw pedal adapter for a 2g DSM. I will be doing a full write up on this setup once it is all figured out... (I'm guessing this is going to take a while)
20220323_192106.jpg
20220323_192131.jpg
20220323_192121.jpg

Last edited:
Started pulling things apart this week. First thing to go were the oem dash gauges as well as my AEM uego pillar gauges.

I replaced the stock cluster with a Haltech IC7 digital dash with mako mount. I am seriously impressed with the quality if the mount, as good as factory fitment.
20220406_164027.jpg
20220406_195149.jpg
20220406_200147.jpg

20220406_200101.jpg

Jon at TRE always impresses me with his hard work. As noted before Jon rebuilt my transmission easily 10 years ago without issue. After finding some brass in my oil (trans shifted fine still) I decided to ship it back to him for a once over...

Well I finally got it back and it looks amazing! My old TRE 2.5 trans with some added goodies, magnus 1/2 shift fork, fat boy racing bearing housing and of course gsxdudes brass bushing kit. I cannot wait to get this back in! Thanks TRE!
20220503_180221.jpg

Before putting the newly rebuild transmission in I needed to make a decision on what to do with my damaged main bearings. Many said, "f-it, just throw new bearings in and send it", however that is not my style. I purchased yet another Manley turbo-tuff crank, new mains/rod bearings and a new oil pump. I then rebuilt my lower end while the engine was still within the car. This was not as hard as I thought it would be, only obstacle was doing it alone (balancing a main girdle on your head is not very comfortable...) I am by no means an engine builder, so this might last me a few miles, or last for a few years, either way I did not want to send my engine back to a machine shop after plunking down almost 10k in parts this season.
engine rebuild.jpg

New crank, bearings and oil pump installed.

Now with the engine in order it was time to pull the trigger on a new clutch setup. I've always ran the same setup in my car ever since I could remember... ACT 2600 PP, with sprung 6 puck and OEM TOB. Well, I have also always had issues with main bearing failure, so it was time to try something new.

Currently in my s2000 (supercharged - 476whp) I have a Competition Clutch setup, and I really like it. This made me go with the Comp dual clutch kit for the GSX. The kit came with the clutch, discs, pressure plate, new fork, and TOB, which I was impressed with. Hopefully going with a dual clutch will take some of the excess pressure off of the crank, which I believe is causing my bearing failure.
20220528_130839.jpg
output_image1653921093846.jpg
20220528_174426.jpg

This week I spent some time trying to figure out my intermediate shaft rebuild, as I found the bearing to be in rough shape (notchy and leaking grease). I searched all over, all while getting mixed information in return. I did however come across ed1380's post regarding his rebuild which I found to be very informative (https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/intermediate-shaft-bearing-replacement.428844/).

I started by removing the old seals and bearing. This was easily done with the help of a press for the shaft, and a little heat for the bearing. I purchased replacement bearing Timken PN: 6206-2RS from Amazon for fairly cheap ($20 for two of them). I measured the oem bearing against the new Timken bearing with the use of a digital caliper and they were almost identical in size inside and out.
20220604_155110.jpg
With the use of a die geinder, some meduium sanding discs, and brake clean I stripped off all the old paint, and cleaned off all the years of grime and grease. Unfortunately I did not have black paint at my house at the time, so I went with some rebuilders cast instead.
20220604_155042.jpg

Since the bearing is sealed, and I only use my car in summer / nice weather I was not concerned with replacing the seals. This job was not difficult and I have an extra bearing since I purchased a two pack... I gently tapped the bearing into place, and it was ready to go. Feels brand new, and looks a hell of a lot better even with the color change.
1654373258017.png

This week I spent some time trying to figure out my intermediate shaft rebuild, as I found the bearing to be in rough shape (notchy and leaking grease). I searched all over, all while getting mixed information in return. I did however come across ed1380's post regarding his rebuild which I found to be very informative (https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/intermediate-shaft-bearing-replacement.428844/).

I started by removing the old seals and bearing. This was easily done with the help of a press for the shaft, and a little heat for the bearing. I purchased replacement bearing Timken PN: 6206-2RS from Amazon for fairly cheap ($20 for two of them). I measured the oem bearing against the new Timken bearing with the use of a digital caliper and they were almost identical in size inside and out.
View attachment 663785With the use of a die geinder, some meduium sanding discs, and brake clean I stripped off all the old paint, and cleaned off all the years of grime and grease. Unfortunately I did not have black paint at my house at the time, so I went with some rebuilders cast instead.
View attachment 663788
Since the bearing is sealed, and I only use my car in summer / nice weather I was not concerned with replacing the seals. This job was not difficult and I have an extra bearing since I purchased a two pack... I gently tapped the bearing into place, and it was ready to go. Feels brand new, and looks a hell of a lot better even with the color change.
View attachment 663784
Nice job. Looks brand new.

Ok, today was the big day. I just plunked down $2,100 on my Ohm-racing harness. I am not going to lie I am a bit nervous about this purchase, but I hope it turns out to be well worth the money. I will keep you all posted, as several others have been curious about this harness as well. I was told my order will take approximately 10 weeks to complete. (There goes my summer....) Below is a copy of my order, which I included their Coil On Plug ignition setup as well.
ohm order.png

I have installed a new harness from them, and I will say I'm pleased with the quality. Everything came as ordered, and the harness fit just as I would have expected, but this is still without having the engine installed. Anyway, it's so much nicer than an old OEM harness.

Also, this may be something for you to look into, I'm not sure if you're using OEM ecu still or not, but I also requested a couple spare ecu pins so I can make my own leads for the harness for outputs (FPS and EGR) , and I also had them add some pig tails so I can use the for signal input to my shift box. They had no problem accommodating this at all!

edit: just noticed on your build sheet that it's for haltech, that answers my question LOL

Last edited:
For what it cost a couple of pins shouldnt be a problem, mmm ive been thinking about haltech for some time but i need to get this one on the road with link .Good job.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back