The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

My walbro 190 Fuel pump...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaniel1287

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 30, 2005
Daven, Iowa
I put a Walbro 190 Fuel pump in my 95 Talon TSI. I'm still using the stock injectors and stock FPR. Would putting in the 190 pump some how over run my stock fuel setup and cause me to burn more gas; thus creating me to get bad gas mileage?

Well, with any aftermarket pump, you will run a little bit richer considering you are flowing much more fuel than stock, and the fuel pressure might raise a couple psi at idle, but the problems associated with a 190lph should be far less severe than with the addition of a 255lph pump...

Your gas mileage should not really be affected; I wouldn't count on black smoke pouring out the exhaust and flames shooting out during WOT shifts

Yeah, I'm w/ everyone else. I wouldn't expect much (if any) change in gas mileage.

kraka said:
Well, with any aftermarket pump, you will run a little bit richer considering you are flowing much more fuel than stock, and the fuel pressure might raise a couple psi at idle.
This isn't true. As long as the aftermarket pump doesn't overrun the fuel pressure regulator the fuel pressure isn't going to change over stock and the engine isn't going to run any different. The extra fuel just goes back into the tank via the return line.

Steve

owned....

Thanks for the correction, I just always imagined a walbro 190 produced similar but less drastic effects as the Bastard 255 pump...

In that case, enjoy the extra fuel, and take advantage of it by upping the boost to a safe 16-18psi

Well i'm not enjoying the 180 miles to the TANK that i am currently getting when i once used to get about 280 miles to the tank. Any suggestions on to why my gas mileage is so terrible?

I have a warblo 190 with stock injectors and stock FPR and i'm actually running lean.

kraka said:
I just always imagined a walbro 190 produced similar but less drastic effects as the Bastard 255 pump.
It can but it depends on a lot of different factors like how well the return port on your regulator flows, the voltage at the pump, how much pressure drop in lines, etc.

The Walbro 190 lph pump is pretty safe to run with the stock regulator on a turbo DSM.

You generalized about any aftermarket pump and that's what I was correcting.

Steve

If I had a faulty o2 sensor, my car would definately through a CEL for it correct? Because my CEL is on but i havent taken it in to get it checked yet.

You're complaining about bad mileage, but you havn't even pulled the CEL code to see whats wrong? Wow, maybe im just different, but as soon as a CEL throws i'm getting it checked out.

I would definately pull the code and see what it is, there has to be something wrong. I know on my 92 tsi awd im getting about 240 miles on a tank, or about 20mpg. i havn't yet figured out why it's so bad, but im pretty sure it's because the tard who had the car before me threw on a 14b and cranked it up to 12psi with a stock auto fuel set-up. Or maybe the 3 broken manny bolts on the left side of my exhaust manny.

Mine threw a code for Fuel Trim Malfunction(bank 1), which I researched to find out that this usually occurs when the front O2 goes bad. I bought mine for 55 shipped from oxygensensors.com for the Denso unit. The funny thing is, is that the denso is listed under Mitsubishi but not under eagle when its the same Part. I just put mine in last weekend and car runs great again. Make sure you replace your plugs as well, as those are probably fouled from the richness.

staticbrainwash said:
the tard who had the car before me threw on a 14b and cranked it up to 12psi with a stock auto fuel set-up.

A 14b comes on 89-94 1g's. And they can push up to 18lbs before they dont move any boost, and fuel cut should happen over 16psi. Thats stock fuel system.

um. . . not so much, autos have a whole different fuel setup. 390cc's with a 13g turbo and a different ecu. he put in a 14b and made some other changes that did NOT mesh well. in any case, i know i've got other issues still to work on. but that by far was the worst (car came to me mis-firing, blew 2 injectors, and fried the original spark plugs).

so no, there is NO WAY you could boost 16psi on a 14b with a stock 1g auto fuel setup. hench why i have a walbro 190, manual 450's and a manual ecu sitting in my room waiting for a warm day.

staticbrainwash said:
um. . . not so much, autos have a whole different fuel setup. 390cc's with a 13g turbo and a different ecu. he put in a 14b and made some other changes that did NOT mesh well. in any case, i know i've got other issues still to work on. but that by far was the worst (car came to me mis-firing, blew 2 injectors, and fried the original spark plugs).

so no, there is NO WAY you could boost 16psi on a 14b with a stock 1g auto fuel setup. hench why i have a walbro 190, manual 450's and a manual ecu sitting in my room waiting for a warm day.

I agree about not pumping up the boost past 16 psi with a 14b with stock auto injectors. But the 14 b will not be pumping alot of hot air at only 12 psi. I know the 390s can handle 12 psi according to the DSM_Tuning_Sheet_v2.1. Maybe not 16 psi but around 14 would be fine. 390's flow only 13% less than 450s. At 16 psi, I can see that being an issue. Just no way at 12 psi. I thought you transposed the numbers accidentally and meant 21 psi.

Like i tried saying before, the guy before me f-ed up a lot of stuff on the car. It at one point had a whole manual fuel/turbo setup, but the ecu died and got replaced with a stock auto ecu. so it was running 450's with a 14b off of a auto ecu. not to mention a lot of other shit that was wrong with the car when i got it. (bad injectors because of the wrong ecu, BAD wires and plugs, bad flywheel). This car is a work in progress, im just happy that i've kept it running no matter what has happened to it. Not to mention the 1k worth of mod pile sitting in my room (real manual ecu, 450's, accel wires, dejon uicp and intake, licp, 2g manny and 2g o2. not to mention various maintenience and replacement parts).

i agree 12 psi would be fine, but not with the wrong ecu reading the wrong turbo and injectors.

staticbrainwash said:
i agree 12 psi would be fine, but not with the wrong ecu reading the wrong turbo and injectors.

I agee whole-heartedly that the PO had no frickin' idea what he was doing trying to use an auto tranny ecu in a manual car.

But, running 450s with an auto tranny makes you run rich. even with a bigger turbo. When the auto tranny ecu sees the airfrom from the 14b being sucked throught the 1g maf (auto/manual interchangable) it will open the injector up long ehough for a 390cc flow that will match the airflow. That amount of time is longer than for the same airflow and 450s. The turbo size is irrelevent. The ecu can tell how much air is going into the engine through baro, temp, and hertz (volume flow). Only thing a big turbo can do is overrun the maf. And you can't at 12 psi on a 14b.

This is only "food for thought". I agree that you are handleing the situation correctly. If anything for the sake of gas milage...

Then why am i only getting 20mpg out of this car when some guys making WAY more power than me are hitting 30ish on the HW. i mean, i know i've got a little pre turbo exhaust leak, but i don't evn have any boost leaks.

i guess this problem just alludes me still. stupid dsm, maybe it's just time for a motor build, and see how it ends up.

A pre-turbo exhaust leak, or a pre-O2 exhaust leak will make you run even more pg rich than you usually do on the stock A/F maps. Get it fixed and you'll see a measurable difference.

Andy

steve said:
This isn't true. As long as the aftermarket pump doesn't overrun the fuel pressure regulator the fuel pressure isn't going to change over stock and the engine isn't going to run any different. The extra fuel just goes back into the tank via the return line.

Steve

Correct, but what's to say that he's not over-running the stock AFPR? I have heard of people having problems tuning with a 190 and stock afpr, and others I know haven't had any problem at all...

Steve

To this point, if the PO was kind enough to upgrade my pump to the walbro 255 with stock injectors and stock fpr, causing the fpr to malfunction, could I upgrade the regulator and just adjust appropriately to keep injectors stock for now?

Car will not start currently (still making my way through the no start list with spark corrections all made, cam sensor replaced, timing verified, as well as a new stock fpr) and trying to figure out why and what the PO did/didnt do (wiring for boost gauge goes through door instead of firewall with a hole cut into the dash ‍♀️). Just need to get it running to fix exhaust leaks and pass emissions before I start building.

To this point, if the PO was kind enough to upgrade my pump to the walbro 255 with stock injectors and stock fpr, causing the fpr to malfunction, could I upgrade the regulator and just adjust appropriately to keep injectors stock for now?

Assuming FPR overrun, that would be the first step. 2G's can have other issues in the return line causing overrun but not owning one I'm not up to speed on the details.

Do you have some indication that the no start is caused by too much fuel?

If I recall from many years ago a not weak stock FPR will not be over run by a low pressure 255 pump. Possibly a high pressure one but I don't think bad enough to cause it not to start.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back