The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

My untuned GSX runs rich(of course) but fumes fill the car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMDEMON93

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2009
San Jose, California
Hey guys, finally completed installing my large frame turbo setup on my GSX. The car has 1200cc injectors, Walbro 255, for fuel, and my DSMlink is not set up yet. I only drove the car around my neighborhood to inspect for exhaust/oil leaks, and everything checks out, but man, running un-tuned the car stinks of gas.

Here comes the most NEWB question I have ever asked and I apoligize...but is this normal for an untuned car? I mean this whole time I thought their was an exhaust leak, and everything clears. I have a dump tube shooting through the hood, but I have a 20psi spring in there and its not cracking open to blow fumes in my face at all. Tested the wastegate and seals right and tight.

Car will be getting dyno tuned in a few weeks, but I need to break in my clutch before the date...which means doing little drives after work until then. I just hope the un-tuned fumes don't suffocate me to death..LOL.

Let me know if I'm over worrying, because this car already tried to kill me twice with electrical fires, and I wouldn't be suprised if the sucker is possessed(JK). Thanks!

Yeah I've set my afpr and watch my LC-1 constantly read rich while driving around, I think my car might be caught in open loop? So I'll need to address it.

My main cause for concern is I never knew running so filthy rich could have all my clothes smell after a 10 minute cruise.

Unless your global fuel is waaaay off and you're running larger injectors, driving around "untuned" isn't an issue because the ecu will be in closed loop, trying to maintain 14.7 afr which is actually relatively lean...unless the front o2 sensor is busted forcing openloop, in which case the afr might be rather rich.

Your profile doesn't mention injectors so im leaning toward o2 sensor.

Unless your global fuel is waaaay off and you're running larger injectors, driving around "untuned" isn't an issue because the ecu will be in closed loop, trying to maintain 14.7 afr which is actually relatively lean...unless the front o2 sensor is busted forcing openloop, in which case the afr might be rather rich.

Your profile doesn't mention injectors so im leaning toward o2 sensor.

First post says 1200's :thumb:

My main cause for concern is I never knew running so filthy rich could have all my clothes smell after a 10 minute cruise.

It'll also wash the cylinder walls and contaminate the oil. Being stucked in open loop is a problem, especially because the tuner won't be able to tune closed loop. But before trying to run the engine anymore you should at least change your global fuel setting.

First post says 1200's :thumb:

It'll also wash the cylinder walls and contaminate the oil. Being stucked in open loop is a problem, especially because the tuner won't be able to tune closed loop. But before trying to run the engine anymore you should at least change your global fuel setting.

Ok, sounds like I have a place to start. Thanks for the input Wes, and everyone else who commented!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back