The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

My Street S197 Mustang.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabricated mounts for my new fans onto the new radiator using some old flat TV mounting stuff I found in my garage. Worked very well considering.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Now the PITA part that I have been dreading. Stabbing the trans. It's such a bi*** doing on jackstands by yourself. This trans is quite heavy and you don't have much room to wiggle it and stab it in (simultaneously) especially if you're doing it by yourself. I also don't want to drop a brand new $$ trans. I struggled to get it in unsuccessfully after fighting with it for a few hours. I decided to remount the trans onto the jack and changed the angle it was sitting. I will reattempt in the next few days. It might take me 10 minutes or another 10 hours. I really can't do much else until this is in as the engine is not sitting in its final position until the trans is mounted and bolted in. It's getting close though. Wish me luck.

9.jpg

13.jpg

Good luck!
Those things are HEAVY. I am planning on installing the SBC/Tremec as one unit into my sons 86 Z-28. It is a super nice transmission with the .82 OD. :thumb:
Nice to follow your other project!
This unit uses a Ford clutch and driveshaft yoke too.

20230128_171150 Matts TKO600RR.jpg

That's definitely an option I have in my cards. I will try the remount, if that doesn't work, I will remove the bellhousing and realign the clutch discs with a steel alignment tool this time around and hopefully, it slides in effortlessly. Mine has 2 ODs (5th and 6th) at 0.74 and 0.50 LOL.
What spline clutch? 26?

Stopped by the dealership yesterday and ordered this OEM alternator kit using my Ford Rewards points so I ended up just paying taxes. (it's also designed to work better for high revving, and comes with a new serpentine belt, tensioner, pulley and hardware) which is a pretty good deal for high quality factory OEM stuff with warranty LOL.
Reason: My Infinity ECU was designed around the Boss 302 Mustang so it will work seamlessly with its alternator. This is also the reason why I have to find a work around for the EPAS. The Infinity ECU was designed to work with the Boss 302 EPAS (Electronic Power Assisted Steering) and will *not* communicate with the CANbus of my Mustang GT EPAS rack. Yes, the things you find out after buying your ECU. Anyway, that will be the last piece of the puzzle to get sorted out.

m50balt.jpg

Last edited:
Also, due to the struggles of stabbing the trans, somehow, I identified a defective slave cylinder/TOB (It's one unit on these Fords) and I have also decided to order a steel clutch alignment tool to see whether it will center the discs better. This is a common issue with the plastic tools from what I have found out and may make the install process easier. At this point since I can't really progress any further until I have the trans mounted, I have mocked up the turbo so I can at least get final dimensions for the turbo oil feed and drain that I need to fabricate.

Lots of things that will need to go in this area...LOL. 3" Downpipe that will snake down through passenger side suspension area, 3.5" upper intercooler pipe from A2W outlet to enter intake manifold that will be facing front of the vehicle, upper radiator hose, hose to degas tank...etc

Slowly working on it. Still waiting for the Boss alternator to come in from Ford but I have been slowly working on it when time and the weather allows. I am doing the fuel system this week.

A little past my deadline here but I have had quite a bit done in the past few weeks.
-Transmission mounted
-Pinned my sensors
-Mounted my ECU
-Installed my complete fuel system (pending wiring of the FC3 controller)
-Installed the UPR UCA
-Mounted the hot side piping and installed the gates

Still waiting for this Boss alterna,tor so I c an finish up installing the downpipe and exhaust.
I intend to install the driveshaft tomorrow and clean up few things here and there. It's starting to look like a car. I should have some current photos by end of week for you car pic pervs. ;)

Current status.

Next:
Install serpentine belt
Mount fuel controller/run wiring to the front
Route intercooler coolant hoses.
Mount ice tank, wire the pump to a switch.
Wire T56 harness
Complete wiring AEM sensors
Add ATF
Buy a battery
Find a location for a coolant recovery tank and mount it.
Wire electrical fans
Other odds and ends (ex. may need to slightly trim the bumper support as it's interfering with my intercooler coolant fittings, wrap exhaust running through wheel wells, etc.

PXL_20230712_234604731.MP.jpg

PXL_20230712_234623042.MP.jpg

PXL_20230712_235018530.MP.jpg

PXL_20230712_235448196.MP.jpg

Last edited:
At this time, work is being paused due to the extreme heat. Here are the things I need to do:
1. Mount A2W lines to frame. Figure out how to clearance front bumper for one of the A2W exchanger fittings.
2. Finish mounting ice tank. Wire ice tank to switch.
3. Route fuel pump FC3 controller +12V wiring to battery. Connect triggers for FC3 to ECU/fuel module.
4. Complete T56 speedometer, reverse light and reverse lockout solenoid wiring.
5. Add ATF to trans.
6. Wrap exhaust running by wheel well areas to manage heat.
7. Connect ECU to dash (need to wire AEM Net +/- by splicing wiring room for CAN+/-.)
8. Mount some type of aftermarket coolant expansion/recovery tank .
9. Add engine oil and coolant, check fuel system for leaks, tighten everything and do a once, twice-over.

It should be ready to configure ECU and attempt a first start by this point, so, not very much left.

At this time, work is being paused due to the extreme heat. Here are the things I need to do:
1. Mount A2W lines to frame. Figure out how to clearance front bumper for one of the A2W exchanger fittings.
3. Route fuel pump FC3 controller +12V wiring to battery. Connect triggers for FC3 to ECU/fuel module.
5. Add ATF to trans.
7. Connect ECU to dash (need to wire AEM Net +/- by splicing wiring room for CAN+/-.)
9. Add engine oil and coolant, check fuel system for leaks, tighten everything and do a once, twice-over.

It should be ready to configure ECU and attempt a first start by this point, so, not very much left.

Got some work done this weekend...f*** the heat...I was bored, it's moving along.

Got some work done this weekend...f*** the heat...I was bored, it's moving along.

1. Mount A2W lines to frame. Figure out how to clearance front bumper for one of the A2W exchanger fittings. DONE
3. Route fuel pump FC3 controller +12V wiring to battery. Connect triggers for FC3 to ECU/fuel module. DONE
4. Complete T56 speedometer, reverse light and reverse lockout solenoid wiring. DONE
5. Add ATF to trans. DONE

Getting closer. Always great when you have less than 5 things left on your build list. Current status of car.

0R5A2190 (2).JPG

0R5A2195 (2).JPG

2. Finish mounting ice tank
. Wire ice tank to switch.
5. Add ATF to trans.

7. Connect ECU to dash (need to wire AEM Net +/- by splicing wiring room for CAN+/-.) I decided to get the OBD2 connector for now.
9. Add engine oil and coolant, check fuel system for leaks, tighten everything and do a once, twice-over. Lots of fuel leaks I had to fix and discovered a broken fuel filter so waiting for a replacement in the mail.
10. Battery is dead so need to get it warrantied.

Got the coolant res mounted but the cap is trash so need to get a new one. I am also chasing down fuel, coolant leaks. One more to fix. If all goes well, I may attempt a startup within the next week. Surreal. I will be wiring my A2W pump this weekend,

You have an absolutely gourgous Mustang. I am partial to Blue and it will be a Blue STREAK.
Hard work pays off and makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside! :thumb:
Have you gotten any tuning done to her?

You have an absolutely gourgous Mustang. I am partial to Blue and it will be a Blue STREAK.
Hard work pays off and makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside! :thumb:
Have you gotten any tuning done to her?
Thank you. I am currently tuning it on the factory ECU as I need a proper engine wiring harness built for my AEM ECU. The Ford Copperhead ECU is no joke tuning haha. Has like 14+ spark timing tables and a whole plethora of stuff waiting for you to screw up. Makes the DSM ECU seem like a lego toy in comparison. It's running great part throttle and idle...now dialing in the WOT. I have it on gate...3psi on pump gas so I have a little margin of error. as I figure it out

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back