The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

My speed shop recommended me different wires/plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Race94

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2003
Puerto_Rico
Well i am going to change these in an upcoming upgrade, thing is my speed shop(new mechanics) told me not to get accel's or magnecors, that i should get NGK wires and NGK R-5672-8 plugs

Anyone heard of these?

THing is they do have 3 11 sec talon/eclipse there with the same recipe so i am not sure if i should go with what he says.

:dsm: :thumb:

Magnecore wires are JUNK!!! All we use are MSD and NGK wires. I know several people that use Accels also.. but I don't have any personal experience w/ those. I know tons of people that have had many different issues w/ the Magnecores... and even w/ the "lifetime warranty" they will not stand behind them. The correct plugs are BPR6ES, BPR7ES, and some have their own personal favorite.. but they're almost always one of NGKs offerings.

Originally posted by 91 NT Eclipse
NGK is the OEM plug/wire for DSMs. How could you NOT have heard of them?
i am reffering to the model numer

Originally posted by KenTSIII
Magnecore wires are JUNK!!! All we use are MSD and NGK wires. I know several people that use Accels also.. but I don't have any personal experience w/ those. I know tons of people that have had many different issues w/ the Magnecores... and even w/ the "lifetime warranty" they will not stand behind them. The correct plugs are BPR6ES, BPR7ES, and some have their own personal favorite.. but they're almost always one of NGKs offerings.

pot calling the kettle black here kenny, huh?

magnecore is spec'd by electromotive and was used in their ignitions on imsa prototype cars.........that's right, it was spece'd on a million dollar race car (but it's junk)
i work next door to steve, i'll be certain to pass on your thoughts.

Originally posted by gsx951

pot calling the kettle black here kenny, huh?

magnecore is spec'd by electromotive and was used in their ignitions on imsa prototype cars.........that's right, it was spece'd on a million dollar race car (but it's junk)
i work next door to steve, i'll be certain to pass on your thoughts.

What a dick. Try to post useful info without going back and forth with another member.:thumb:

And perhaps YOU should read the link in the post above this. Magnacors might be fine on a million dollar race car, but we drive DSMs, bud.

Originally posted by LandoAWD

What a dick. Try to post useful info without going back and forth with another member.:thumb:

And perhaps YOU should read the link in the post above this. Magnacors might be fine on a million dollar race car, but we drive DSMs, bud.

3342 indianview drive, waterford, mi 48329
come and call me a dick to my face unless you wish to meet half way...
little keyboard-tough guy, you don't know a thing about me and are better off keeping it that way.

magnecor, i work next door to their shop and have been using the product a decade before you could spell their name. i am well aware of issues related to magnecor wires and dsm's having been a dsm owner for 13 years. those issues are related to maintenance of the vehical and not the product. i've had them on both 1G and 2G cars and well as acura's with out an issue.
with respect to ken, do to an impending legal action i have to reserve further comment.

little keyboard-tough guy, you don't know a thing about me and are better off keeping it that way.

magnecor, i work next door to their shop and have been using the product a decade before you could spell their name. i am well aware of issues related to magnecor wires and dsm's having been a dsm owner for 13 years. those issues are related to maintenance of the vehical and not the product. i've had them on both 1G and 2G cars and well as acura's with out an issue.
with respect to ken, do to an impending legal action i have to reserve further comment.

Please let us know when you come down off your high horse and off of your Napoleonic-complex induced stupor. If you have a hard on for Ken, take the smart ass comments offline. This isn't the forum or the time for it. You profess to be 'a dsm owner for 13 years' so start acting like it.

On Topic: I personally have seen 2 sets of Magnecors start arcing 3 months after installation and they were properly taken care of. On the flip side, I have also seen Magnecors last 4 years without so much as a stumble. My personal preference is NGK plug wires and I have never personally seen any issues with NGK wires dying a premature death.

As far as plugs, stick to what has been posted above: BPR6ES or BPR7ES depending on what heat range you are looking for.

:rolleyes:
Due to being a moderator, I cannot reply in a childish manner, as you have done. Have a nice day:thumb:

I was wondering if any of you guys have personal experience with MSD 8.5's? I was at a local performance shop a while back and they had the top 7 wire manufacture's wires on a resistance test (a display for customers). Well it turns out Magnecore was second to last on resistance and MSD was first, Yet i havnt heard of a single dsm ever running MSD.

Originally posted by LandoAWD
:rolleyes:
Due to being a moderator, I cannot reply in a childish manner, as you have done. Have a nice day:thumb:

you already did. you opened your post by calling me a dick.
you called me a dick, now i'm calling you out.

you already did. you opened your post by calling me a dick.
you called me a dick, now i'm calling you out.
:yawn smiley::rolleyes:

Wow, we have address posting and it wasn't even me this time. I'll meet you halfway for a little bruhaha. I live for it!

Regards,

Originally posted by NosLaser
Wow, we have address posting and it wasn't even me this time. I'll meet you halfway for a little bruhaha. I live for it!

Regards,

Oh for christ sake who was the smart guy who invited Aslan to this shindig? :D :p

Does anyone know were or who to order MSD's from?

I just bought and installed the NGK wires today.
My first thoughts: the engine idled much smoother and it ran a lot better with the AC on. With all the traffic and only 1 hour of sleep, I didn't have a chance to do a WOT run to see if I noticed a difference. Hopefully that will come tonight or tomorrow.
You definitely can't go wrong with them.

Originally posted by GstRacer
i got nologys what do ya'll think of them?

ha! that's a good one!
the caps are not such a good thing. they cause a larger curent draw and your ignition is designed to source voltage.
electrolytics are used in all power supplies inwhat is refered to as a Pi filter. they store current and smooth spikes but if you use too high of a value or use a cap in a circuit that was never designed to see capacitance ( the jacket on your wires is a capacitive load but really small) you can suck the life out of the diodes in the rectifier that supplies it. the nology wire was probably designed by nostradamus and represents some really fuzzy engineering.
(you know this though and that's why you set the bait!)

LOL, he wants to fight over an argument on the internet....wow....thats just pathetic

Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do ...

Attachments

• tombstone2.jpg
    tombstone2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 175
Originally posted by GstRacer
i got nologys what do ya'll think of them?

Of all the wires there are on the market, they are the one I would least recommend. That capacitor(really just the braiding on the wire, that acts as a capacitor) does nothing for you. It gives you an additional degree or two of retard as an unintentional side effect. But it doesnt give you any additional energy, or make a spark any stronger than stock.

Brad

ha! that's a good one!
the caps are not such a good thing. they cause a larger curent draw and your ignition is designed to source voltage.

I am not sure I quite understand your argument here. How does the cap cause a larger current draw in the ignition?

but if you use too high of a value or use a cap in a circuit that was never designed to see capacitance ( the jacket on your wires is a capacitive load but really small) you can suck the life out of the diodes in the rectifier that supplies it.

What diodes and rectifier are you talking about that are going to be damaged by adding the capacitor? The capacitor should only affect the current flow in the secondary of the coil, through the plug wires, and plugs.

I will agree with you that the nology wire gimmick is something that doesnt really work though. I wouldn't say they are doing real harm like you imply, they just arent helping any.

Brad

not trying to piss on the fire here....just a quick comment on the Magnecore wires,I have them in my DSM and they work great for me,granted i have not had them in my car for 2 years or anything so i cant comment on the long term durability.Also every site i go to seems to recommend them over any other wires.....could be because they make more money off of them....could be because they are better than others.Back to the original topic:you have alot of input here and you should be able to make an educated decision based on the information/opinions stated on this thread.Hey the only real way to find anything you like is to try it,if you don't like it try something else.Good luck with whatever you decide:thumb:

Originally posted by Tevenor

Oh for christ sake who was the smart guy who invited Aslan to this shindig? :D :p

Hehe... You knew I'd find it sooner or later. I wasn't even going to respond any further, just figured I'd pee in the proverbial cheerios.

Regards,

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back