The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

My shepherd tranny is ####ed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clipse-T

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 6, 2006
Tyler, Texas
Anyways..i was a red light . Light turns green and i take off..i spin whole 1st gear and when i shifted to 2nd..something strange happened. I was in 2nd gear and i tried to shift to 3rd and i couldnt..i couldnt put it in any gear except 2nd. So i am in 2nd gear and i pull over..i couldnt put it in ANY gear..i would let go of the clutch and the car would stay on..i think i was going back and forth on neutral and 2nd..but i couldnt put it in any other gear. I would hear grinds trying to put in gears. So i had to get the car towed..This was a $1900 tranny from john shepherd..Stage 1 rebuild + the LSD. I dunno WTF could be wrong..any ideas?

Im sure its the clutch, what type of clutch are you using?? Dont go with dual disk. Strange you were able to put it in second gear though...

On what basis are you suggesting that he not go with a dual disk?

Make sure the thing didint pop a line and dump out all the brake fluid out of the system. Sounds like what happens when my master cylinder leaks to much fluid out. How does the clutch pedal feel?

Have you tried getting in touch with Shep? If you bought it from him, I'm sure he would be happy to help a paying customer. Furthermore, who knows these trannies better than him?

just like everyone said... check the easy stuff first.. is there fluid? then check the slave and the master cylinders.. and then next on your list if none of those fix it will be picking pieces of clutch out of your tranny.

check your shifter cables as well, one might have come completely off or might have just loosened. that happened to me last night....just a thought.

I had a local mechanic check it and he said everything (clutch too) seem to be ok, that the problem is internally on the tranny. Im having a local tranny rebuilder check it. i got an ACT 2100w/ streetdisc and new TOB around 5k miles..IF that..so i dont think it blew on me already..i cant afford to send it to shepherd again as i need this car back on the road asap as my DD. any more ideas on what could it be?

That doesent sound right If something let go in the tranny at speed like that you would have known. Just not being able to shift it in all of the sudden just seems like an external issue. Go outside yourself and pop the cover of the clutch master cylinder reservoir and see if there is fluid.

Happened to me.

Was racing someone, shifted to 3rd, shifter went to jell-o. Got it in 4th some how, and it stuck there. Ended up destroying the shift rail. Check all the easy stuff first, can rule out what it is and what its not pretty fast.

You never said if it shifted with the car off or not. My car did the same thing and it was a spring in the clutch disc causing the problem.

It wouldn't go into any gear at all..car ON or OFF. Clutch not adjusted correctly? I've ran the clutch since i got my tranny rebuild on April. I didn't have any problems wutsoever with it. So u guys think i have a broken shift fork?

It's either a ,clutch fork, shift fork, or a shattered TOB. If it won't go into any gear on or off it's something mechanical and shouldn't have anything to do with the slave or master cylinders (still check them though). How did your mechanic determain if the clutch was okay? Did he pull the transmission? Take off the rubber dust boot from around the clutch fork and look for any debris inside and see if the fork is bent or damaged. If you can, stick a magnetic pickup tool inside to see if you can find any bits of metal. Mine just did something similar to this a few weeks ago. I was driving and all of a sudden my shifter got real notchy and it wouldn't come out of gear or go in. I got to drive nearly 20 miles with 3rd and 4th gear only. I went nuts trying to figure it out and wasted money on a slave and master cylinder before I found the real problem which was the TOB.

It's either a ,clutch fork, shift fork, or a shattered TOB. If it won't go into any gear on or off it's something mechanical and shouldn't have anything to do with the slave or master cylinders (still check them though). How did your mechanic determain if the clutch was okay? Did he pull the transmission? Take off the rubber dust boot from around the clutch fork and look for any debris inside and see if the fork is bent or damaged. If you can, stick a magnetic pickup tool inside to see if you can find any bits of metal. Mine just did something similar to this a few weeks ago. I was driving and all of a sudden my shifter got real notchy and it wouldn't come out of gear or go in. I got to drive nearly 20 miles with 3rd and 4th gear only. I went nuts trying to figure it out and wasted money on a slave and master cylinder before I found the real problem which was the TOB.

Yes he pulled the tranny out. UPDATE: OK the mechanic took it to a local rebuilder to check the tranny internally. Found out that i had destroyed/broken something in the shift gears, dont know exactly what yet. The local rebuilder told him that something must of caused this to happened. So he double checked everything and said that one of my shifter cables was tored up and one of them was loose. Could bad shifter cables cause this to happened?

Call Shep and see if you can get some customer support out of him?
I'm sure he would be willing to help him diagnose the problem. I had some questions about my tranny when I got it back from him and I got ahold of him first try, and he had no problem answering my questions.

Every one is telling you to call him seems like your being hard headed and want an awnser but are afraid to talk to him they can probably help you out a little bit at least. so just call and tell them what is going on and see if they will help you out.

Brandon

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back