The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

my rod bearings need a bevel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

954g63gst

10+ Year Contributor
May 24, 2012
gardner, Massachusetts
I bought a 7 bolt crank with no oil galley on the sides of the rod journals. I also bought acl race bearings. My problem was when tightening the rod caps the crank seized as soon as the nut started to tighten up from a free state. I took the cap off and from turning the crank when hand tightening rod nuts it showed wear on the ID of each edge. My thought is a 6 bolt crank is made the same. Can I use a 6 bolt bearing? Or do they make a 7 bolt bearing with a bevel on the ID edges. Note my rods are 6 bolt rods machined to a 22 mm wrist pin. are 6 bolt and 7 bolt rod journals the same size?

Are you positive you didn't accidentally flip the cap backwards? The bearing tangs should be on the same side. I did that on my first rebuild and had the same issue.

Nevermind 6 bolt rods have to have the big ends machined also because they are wider.

If you have a 7 bolt crank with 6 bolt rods

1) you need 7 bolt bearings
2) make sure you have enough rod side clearance.

6 bolt rods are wider at the big end and have to be machined down to fit on a 7 bolt crank properly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back