The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

My Other Baby's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good old Don Garlits. Those were the days, Marty. I was just a weekend racer but some of these guys were contenders for titles and big cash prizes. I was just having fun back in my twenties. I was taken on as a protégé by the Wheeler Dealer. He owned a Gulf gas station and would do the work on my car. All I had to do is buy my own parts. We ended up against each other and that's the day our friendship ended. I sandbagged him, and he broke out of his dial in. What a dumb thing to do to your friend. I was only a kid, so please forgive me. I have some fond memories of those days but that's not one of them.
That reminds me...
So the Pastor gets up and says, "I'm going to say a word and I want someone to stand and sing a song using that word.
He says, "Holy" someone sang Holy Holy Holy Lord God Almighty
Pastor says, "River" someone sang We Shall Gather at The River
Pastor says, " Sex " There was total silence.
Finally, a little old lady in the back gets up and sings "Memories, In the corners of my mind

I can picture that little old lady right now ROFL

Well, here is my 1g DSM Graveyard. I don't think I've EVER had all of them in one post so this may be the only one but here they are.

Screenshot_20211211-152624_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211211-152605_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211211-152552_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211211-152534_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211211-152520_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211211-152454_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211211-152432_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211211-153446_Gallery.jpg

Well, while I am wore out on trying to get my DSM to act right, I have a motor to finish up for my oldest son to put into his '86 Z28, Tremek TKO600RR, 3:23 Posi car. All I need to finish up is to relube the cam with breakin lube, mount up the breakin rocker arms and bolt the intake/carb down and it should be ready to breakin. A fellow machinist here is going to let me use his engine breakin stand so when it goes in, it is ready to rock.
It is a 350 Small Block, 11:1's, Aluminum Heads/Intake, Eagle Crank/H beam rods and 150 shot of NOS. :cool:
I'll probably be hunting my own builds on the streets ROFL
Marty
Pictures:

20220226_125426.jpg

20220226_125435.jpg

Screenshot_20220226-135541_Memo.jpg

More to come as it goes, thanks for following!

Here is my son's car that the LT-1 is going into. I am trying to button it all up today/this week so I can FINALLY get the dam thing out of my Pool Table room ROFL
I have also included a video of my 1st look at the inside in over 12 yrs, when I first started that project. A borescope shows my cross hatching is still like day one, thats GREAT!
Follow the video and you'll understand what the hell happened. :thumb:
I appreciate you all that follow me along this journey of cars.
If you're following this then you are probably interested in what we have planned for the THOR Camaro, also, to get her down to the 13.00 ET mark. That's what we need so we can run one of the classes at our local dragstrip, MoKan in Asbury, Mo. Click HERE if you want to see what my other son just ordered for that car
Marty
20220227_114644.jpg

Yours was a step up from the boys' cars Larry, they are both just Z-28, not IROC Z-28's (like my black convertible). The boys both have "builders" and I am proud of them. MINE is another #'s matching, 1st year for the convertible and 1 of 744 made in 1987 (my car is one year newer than the boys' cars and I doubt there are even 100 left that are Tuned Port Injected with a 5 speed, so very rare).
That Blue is a very pretty hue and goes good with the silver accents that he wanted on his hood and the ground effects (IROC's had body color ground effects, not two tone).
Now to just get MY motor out and rebuilt, then put back in with a new/used wiring harness as the dam packrats chewed up some of my stock wiring while I had her tucked away in my barn.....stupid place to keep her, I know. :banghead:

Update(s).
On the LT1, I have it all relubed and rockers set, all I need is a warmer day to bolt down the intake so the silicone sets.
Here it is right now, the intake is sitting just to keep dust out.
20220310_165937.jpg
1646953652824382538891051335865.jpg

On THOR the 6.6 Liter, my youngest son decided to buy a Sniper EFI Holley system, which is a bigger bore TB than the Holley Carb I have on it so here are some pics of that. Its not on yet, but all the pieces are here!
EFI Sniper Distibutor.jpg
EFI CDI Box.jpg
EFI Sniper Coil .jpg
EFI Bosch 4.9 WB.jpg
EFI Sniper Display.jpg
EFI TB2.jpg
EFI TB.jpg

20220310_165546.jpg

Thanks again, for following a non-DSM subject, but whatever puts a smile on our faces is a good thing!
The oldest son, that is getting the LT1, hasn't driven that car in over 5 years so he is excited again and that makes me SMILE! :thumb:
Good times to come!
Marty

For those of you that follow "off the wall" stuff here on our Wonderful DSM Forum, this is the latest update and improvement on the LT1.
I went from a stockish aftermarket distributor and modded it to some more "modern" stuff.
I went from the stock HEI (High Enegy Ignition) module to the MSD #83647 HEAT Digital Ignition System. It offers more coil saturation and dwell for good spark up to 9000. No doubt that this engine will see some R's (I'll start at 7k and move it up to the limiter I decide on, probably close to 8k) so this setup will let me do my best to keep it together for any unfortunate "money" shifts. It is a VERY cool setup and I will keep y'all informed on how it performs as the car goes together and begins a new life this year.
The last picture is after I sandblasted the flywheel face, prepping it for a nice Mccloud clutch in front of that TKO600RR.
Thanks again for following along!!!
Marty :cool:

20220318_193649.jpg

20220318_190516.jpg

20220318_190228.jpg

20220318_182822.jpg

20220318_182813.jpg

20220318_182350.jpg

20220318_182339.jpg

20220313_134310.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the sound of sandblasting a flywheel but I'm sure you know what you're doing Marty. An old weekend racer trick was to get rid of the springs in the mechanical advance and weld them open..That way it's all there from the get-go. Not recommended for street use.

All I did was use baking soda to blast the glaze so it was not slick, more porous Larry. I have used a D/A sander before also (I don't recommend it, but it did work).
I have never locked my ignition and have always had the motors run like a champ if you rework the centrifugal weights and springs and adjust the vacuum advance for each particular engine. As an example, we don't lock our DSM ignitions, we ramp in the advance as the engine likes it (each one being different). I have seen roundy round guys do this but, like you said, its not a good thing for a street car. The mechanic I worked for in '77 had a Distributor Machine that we would mount the dizzy in and adjust everything about it. That's where I learned about the curve and when to bring it in. When he went out if business, I tried to buy that machine but someone else wanted it WAY more than I needed it.
From my reading on these MSD units, they are sensitive to voltage variances so I will have to give her a constant 12.8 volt supply from the battery thru a relay for it to work consistently.
Mccloud actually suggested roughing up the flywheel for bettter grip. The blasting took about 5 minutes, so as far as material being removed, it was only a glaze that got "deglazed" :)
I sure appreciate those that follow and interject about all the different stuff, it brings light to old stuff (or new) that we used to do "back in the day, WAY BACK". :thumb:
Thanks to you all!!!

25hp!!!
ROFL
Yes sir it was just a deglaze super quick unabrasive material. Soda is what my buddy said was the medium.
HERE is why I have to do all this shit Larry.
This is why we cant have nice things!!
Can you say CARNAGE??:ohdamn:
The LT1 is taking this ones place. I just tore it apart today after about 5 yrs.
I have a video of the thing shutting down but I can't find it at the moment. I'll up date when I do find it tho.
I guess you can say we tend to abuse our stuff now and then. This was all due to an open oil pressure line so LOW oil prssure. Rod #6 wanted to share space with cylinder #5 and, well, it just didn't work out well. :oops:

Matt Twisted Sister rod.jpg

Matt new 2 pc SBC rod design.jpg

Matt broken rod .jpg

Matt twisted rod.jpg

Matt bad motor.jpg

Matt motor piston upside down .jpg

Matt Head w bent valves.jpg

ROFLROFL My friend stopped by with her three-year-old boy and I showed him what happened to your rod. I asked him what he would do to fit it. He said... crazy glue... but that doesn't always work and it just breaks again so get some money out of your mommy's purse and go buy a new one.ROFL Little did he know he just ratted himself out. Now mommy knows where her change has been going.ROFL

I need to DIP it in crazy glue.
Surprisingly, I "THINK" I could save the block and the others. I have a matching piston for that motor but no matching rod. Its sitting outside tonite but I will pull it back in tomorrow and take the goodies out. It had some BAAADDDD stuff goin on in its final throws.
Love your story ROFL:thumb:

Well we upgraded Thor (the 400 SBC) in the '86 Z28 to a Holley EFI Sniper/Hyperspark setup in contentions to compete in the tracks 13 second Bracket. We were running 13.4 and changed to a OG Single Plane intake manifold for higher rpm's out the back door. IDK if this will be better or worse or no difference but stay "tuned" to find out as soon as we get it dialed in!
Thanks for following us along all of our adventures and projects!

Well my son Trevor with the 400 SBC 1986 Z28 and I with the 1967 All Original #'s matching Ralley Sport Camaro made the paper. This is the 3rd time for the 67 and a 1st for the 80s model we play with. We didn't snag any trophies but a newspaper picture is better for me since I have trophies for my car. Just sharing the fun at the Tyro Kansas 2022 Car Show, look it up.
Thanks for following our fun!
Marty & Trevor :thumb: :D
Try THIS link for the article and THIS link for the video. :)
We're proud of our rides!!!
IMG_2949 67 and 86 Camaros.jpg

FB_IMG_1664240900060.jpg

Last edited:
I dug around and found one of the other newspaper articles that my old car is in. It was FRONT PAGE news at this car show way back in 2007. The trophy under the hood is a Best of Show trophy from a show I was in about 2 weeks earlier. These cars were about the only thing I fooled around with.......until I was introduced to a DSM :D

Neodesha Car Show Neodesha Derrick front page news 5-24-2007.jpg

While Trevor has spent countless hours on Holley Snipers tuning program (different than our DSMLink of course), it is paying off. The car starts up effortlessly, no more pumping the gas pedal to get her to start and since the ECU controls his AFRs, it is running much smoother and harder (according to the butt dyno) so I just had to report on it. You can see more of it HERE on his Instagram page.
This profile page is for all of the OTHER stuff that we do, so here is the latest. It is a 1987, Chevy 350 roller motor that we pulled from an IROC Camaro. The man is wanting to stuff it into an ex-police Crown Vic. It is sacrilegious so I said, "I'm in". :D
I don't know who was so pissed off at this motor or person, but they beat the living hell out of it with a sledgehammer, take a look.......
When I got to the point that I was ready to pop the pistons out, the motor turned over very rough and then I remembered that "they" had also beat the tar out of the timing cover so I told the man that I bet the cam gear was hitting the beat up cover, so we removed the cover (a lot of hammering to get access to the bolts, just like the intake manifold). When we got the cover off, the cam gear fell out in 3 pieces....I didn't get a picture of it, but I do still have it with my carnage parts.
I can't imagine doing this to a motor, but ..........we live amongst people that can't control their tempers, I guess. :banghead:

Resized_20220906_191211_9522.jpeg

Resized_20220906_191238_9662.jpeg

Resized_20220906_191225_6139.jpeg

Resized_20220907_155919_3235.jpeg

Resized_20220907_193214_2819.jpeg

Resized_20220907_193232_7713.jpeg

Resized_20220907_195127_4277.jpeg

20220907_195153.jpg

So, I have spent the last months spare time cleaning and checking clearances of what was left of that poor engine. The enraged person couldn't get to the "good parts" with their hammer, so this is what I ended up with. I have almost 20 hours in cleaning alone, but I have parts ordered now and it is almost ready to re-assemble. The only decision left is what camshaft to throw into it. :thumb: On the inside, the crank is perfect after I polished it. The cylinder walls look great and have the smallest of ring groove at the top so it is all going back together with standard rings and bearings (Hastings and Clevite)
Take a look at a lot of work by hand, in my eyes it is beauty! :) I even bought a hone to hone out the lifter bores and it works great.
Well, thanks for following along the "other" journeys with us. We just like to have FUN!!!
Marty (and Trevor)

20220924_111305_resized.jpg

20220924_112819_resized.jpg

20220924_143147_resized.jpg

20220924_143200_resized.jpg

20220924_143206_resized.jpg

20220925_111338_resized.jpg

20220925_111343_resized.jpg

20220925_111757_resized.jpg

20220925_111801_resized.jpg

20220914_191700_resized.jpg

20220918_201453_resized polished crank.jpg

20220918_201453_resized polished crank2.jpg

Wilson Engine Shop Build Sheet  V8 -MW4 Brocc Mangun  9-20-22.png

20221011_165742_resized.jpg

20221011_172919_resized.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back