The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

My Other Baby's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True, but very hard to find a place to pick up cold air from that car. It usually grabs it from right behind the headlight but that also blocks some.

Latest updste on the 6.6L in my sons car.
I switched over to 1.5 rockers today and put the stud girdle on. I hope I got all of the lifters adjusted correctly because I'll have to take the girdle off to readjust any of them. Crossing fingers, thanks for following along!
Oil change to 20W50 tomorrow with ZZDP also.
Keep your eyes open!
Pops

20210918_121110.jpg

20210918_124043.jpg

20210918_140016.jpg

It really is but I've never seen a clear SBC valve cover Larry ;)

I can not recall where I got the valve covers but they came with a removable top and we just changed it out for lexon / plexiglass.. It`s pretty awesome to watch the lifters do their thing and lets you see how well the oil is flowing ..Also lets you do adjustments with out having to remove the valve cover .. Just a thought Marty ...

Ya know Larry, I have made a valve cover just for making adjustments while it is running and it is pretty much what you just described. I cut out the middle and have a piano hinge on it to open it up.....but you can't see thru it, it was an old tall chrome valve cover I had laying around. That set of VC's that you are pointing out are pretty cool and no baffle for me to have to hack out in order to clear the stud girdles I use either......but I see they are out of stock now. Dang!
Now I set the valves when the motor is off but on TDC or #6 on TDC and so far, so good. No ticky ticky ticky going on. BUT....that torque converter weight that we welded back on......IS GONE NOW.
My son is going to call the company about that to see if it will wear out a front pump seal on the new transmission.
I just use this procedure now for valve lash adjustments like I did Saturday when I swapped out the rocker arms. I prayed to the engine gods for no ticks after I got them all swapped and adjusted and so far it is nice and quiet. :thumb:

SBC Valve setting procedure.png

Here is the car as my son pulled her around from the shop. Motor sounds nice. It only has about 3 hours on it so far. We are dealing with a cooling issue on her. Granted she is a new motor and all things are a bit tight and will get looser as it gets miles on it. She has a Big 3 core Champion radiator, 2 Spal 12" pullers and a shroud on the radiator but still have creeping temps that I can't have on that 400. Tonight I am going to take the thermostat out all together and see if we just need more flow through the radiator for better cooling.

Back in the day I had a 1983 Camaro 2.8L but don`t let that fool ya.. A great machinist here in my home town built up a little stroker motor out of that motor.. I swear it ripped...I could blow the doors off the 305 HO Irocz....and the stock 350s ... At car shows they never did any thing for the kids so I would build a 1/18th scale model of my car and give it to the lucky winner. I had this crazy microphone hooked up to my stereo so the kids thought the car talked...I had the wire running under the car and would stand close enough to hear their question but they could not see me . They would drag their parents back to look at my ride.. I got many votes that way... LOL Ya I know it`s a bit ricey with the pink but I dare to be different ....

1632180261596.png

1632180286702.png

1632180318102.png

Last edited:
Latest updste on the 6.6L in my sons car.
I switched over to 1.5 rockers today and put the stud girdle on. I hope I got all of the lifters adjusted correctly because I'll have to take the girdle off to readjust any of them. Crossing fingers, thanks for following along!
Oil change to 20W50 tomorrow with ZZDP also.
Keep your eyes open!
Pops

View attachment 640489

View attachment 640490

View attachment 640491
This is my favorite non DSM build, keep Posting Marty. Seeing you make all this progress keeps me motivated and do a better job every time i get out the wrenches.

I get such enjoyment out of hearing a final product, be it this Chevy, my Saturn or our great 4g motors, so I will keep it up until it's not fun anymore! Thanks Jeff!
Took the thermostat OUT last night and still had creeping temps as I drove but they would come down if I sat and idled the car. We may have under hood temps that are contributing to the issue. Next, we'll just take the hood off and see what happens. I could open up the front of the "SS" style hood for ventilation but then water would soak the air filter in the rain, so more thought has to go into that!
Thanks for following!
Marty

Hey, here is one thing that I forgot to share.......Went to change oil to Lucas 20w50 Breakin oil and look what we saw NOW.........HALF OF THAT WEIGHT IS GONE. :hmm:
Will it effect the front pump seal? Will it be out of balance with fluid running around in it?
Wouldn't it be a bicth to have to take it all back apart? My son is going to contact the company with at least a complaint.
Pops

20210919_122542_resized.jpg

20210919_122552_resized.jpg

Hey, here is one thing that I forgot to share.......Went to change oil to Lucas 20w50 Breakin oil and look what we saw NOW.........HALF OF THAT WEIGHT IS GONE. :hmm:
Will it effect the front pump seal? Will it be out of balance with fluid running around in it?
Wouldn't it be a bicth to have to take it all back apart? My son is going to contact the company with at least a complaint.
Pops

View attachment 640675

View attachment 640676
Dang Marty that sucks. Do you have any theories on how the weight broke off?

I would think with that weight screwed up like it is , will take out your rear main or cause internal damage to the transmission.. But you already know that right Marty...
Wish you lived close cause my buddy could weld that back on and balance it on his lathe ... ;)

I would think with that weight screwed up like it is , will take out your rear main or cause internal damage to the transmission.. But you already know that right Marty...
Wish you lived close cause my buddy could weld that back on and balance it on his lathe ... ;)
Yeah the whole process of removing the motor....AGAIN just to take it out and actually warranty it is a real big hassle. My son talked to the manufacturer yesterday and they are talking about what it will do and what they are going to do or suggest. Thanks for the concern and the thoughts on if it will or won't effect the trans or motor!
If they could figure out what size weight that was and send it to me, I could make a new one work by cutting it in half (which is about what is missing) or take off the whole weight and tack the new one on REALLY GOOD!
Marty

Glad to hear that the manufacturer is working with you on a possible fix .. Would be nice to get her up on a hoist and drop the tranny rather than pulling the motor and all Working with your son on this car brings back fond memories of my Dad and I ... Good luck

It would give me a reason to use my NEW TRANSMISSION JACK! Not that I really WANT to, but at least I have one. If they will pay labor, I might just do it, as long as they pay ME - Wilson Engine Shop. :cool:

Well the torque converter company said "It is under warranty, just ship it back to us"..........Sounds real easy huh????
I asked the son to have them send me a weight. If he wants to warranty it, he can but I am not partaking in that venture.
On some other news about the 6.6L motor. I started increasing the timing while we still have her corked up so I can "hear" ping. I went from 10* up to 12 and noticed a nice increase in power. Then I bumped her up to 14 and sent the son out for a drive down the road. He launched the car and I never heard anything other than a THROATY MOTOR slinging her down the road (that car weighs 3600+). He pulled back in and I said, lets try 2 more, so I set her at 16*, went for another drive and boy she liked that. She does give up on the top end a bit after 5k, but trying to push 8 - 4.125" piston exhausts out a single 2 1/2" pipe (where the catalytic converter USED to be) seems to have her all stuffy and plugged up. After that test drive (I road this time), she ran like a striped ass ape and I bumped her up one more degree before locking the distributor down good.
Now that the timing is more in line with what the engine wants, she is running cooler, which is a good thing!
I expect to have the Y-pipe on the headers off this afternoon so I will get a new video clip when we fire that puppy up today and see how she sounds----and RUNS. :cool:
Stay "tuned" for more updates (I still can't get the DSM to fuel up under boost so we are focusing on the Z-28). :thumb:
Pops

And here is a short video....as promised, from over on the Wilson Engine Shop site!!! :thumb:
Enjoy, I did!
Time for a little drive.
Pops

Well, how can you not go have a little bit of fun?

And my son just had to test our Posi 3:73's (worked GREAT)

Thanks to all of you for tagging along even tho its not a DSM!
Marty

Base and it is more than I usually run but the motor is telling me she is fine. That is why we left her muffled up until yesterday, testing the timing for any signs of knock or hard starting issues that indicate too much timing on small blocks.
My usual setup is about 34-36* total, all in, but this engine is different and I will give her all she will take.
Next up.....a trip to the track if possible.
Marty

It has an advance curve kit in it Larry. I use lighter springs and the different weights. I wish I had a distributor machine like my old mechanic had. You put the distributor on it, clamp it down, hook up the leads and then turn it on and spin it. It would show initial timing and had a lever to pull that activated the vacuum advance and you could see how it was advancing and at what rpms, etc. When he sold all of his equipment, someone bought ALL (had oscilloscopes also) of his hardware and boy I could have used some of that stuff still to this day (that was back in 1979).
I am looking at this module also for the motor...DUI Rev Limiting Module – Performance Distributors

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back