The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

My Other Baby's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well it has taken quite a while to get to this point but the BIG Small Block is in and had its first start. I have a water leak on each head where the sensors go in, I will be draining the coolant down and removing the sensors, cleaning off the teflon paste and putting on teflon TAPE. Other than that, I need to move the distributor one tooth counter clockwise to get it to sit in the correct location and I am ready to do a 20-30 minute break-in for the camshaft then we can swap out the 1.3 break-in rockers for the normal 1.5 units and the stud girdle can go on. I am very happy (and very tired).
Thanks for following along on this journey into SBC land!
Marty

Well it has taken quite a while to get to this point but the BIG Small Block is in and had its first start. I have a water leak on each head where the sensors go in, I will be draining the coolant down and removing the sensors, cleaning off the teflon paste and putting on teflon TAPE. Other than that, I need to move the distributor one tooth counter clockwise to get it to sit in the correct location and I am ready to do a 20-30 minute break-in for the camshaft then we can swap out the 1.3 break-in rockers for the normal 1.5 units and the stud girdle can go on. I am very happy (and very tired).
Thanks for following along on this journey into SBC land!
Marty
Your welcome, i love this build! :thumb:

We play with all kinds of stuff. In the background there are a TrailMaster 200, a Coleman CC100 MiniBike and A Murray (or Manco, can't remember) American Gocart and a Kilowatt Gocart. My son, whose car this motor went into, is a great small engine mechanic. He pulls the motors apart before we ever start them and does "his thing" to them, THEN we can start them, even new out of the box. We built all of the toys, they were rough when we got each one of them.
I seem to be the big engine mechanic, although he is very good with the DSM's but hasn't had alot of experience with Chevy's yet. He does see that they are quite abit easier to work on ;)
Thanks Jeff!

20210717_154438_resized Trevor and the toys 8-20-21.jpg

Screenshot_20210531-202932_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210818-212158_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20210818-212222_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20210801-183714_Messages.jpg

We play with all kinds of stuff. In the background there are a TrailMaster 200, a Coleman CC100 MiniBike and A Murray (or Manco, can't remember) American Gocart and a Kilowatt Gocart. My son, whose car this motor went into, is a great small engine mechanic. He pulls the motors apart before we ever start them and does "his thing" to them, THEN we can start them, even new out of the box.
I seem to be the big engine mechanic, although he is very good with the DSM's but hasn't had alot of experience with Chevy's yet. He does see that they are quite abit easier to work on ;)
Thanks Jeff!

View attachment 638170
Judging from the space heater, winter don't slow you guys down either LOL. What engine are you planning on putting in the mini bike?

Oh hell, that heater is "For Sale". I run a BIG torpedo heater (350000 BTU) and a small torpedo heater 35000 btu in the winter. It stays about 60 in there if it is 25 outside. Likewise, this week it was 100 all three days so I ran the AC and the shop stayed at 83-84 all day so we worked ALL DAY.
Both mini-bikes have 196cc Honda clones (my little orange bike is fastest at 53mph) and all of the carts have Predator 212cc Honda clones on them. :thumb:

So....UPDATE
Here is what that nice motor looks like in the car!
20210824_193027.jpg
20210824_193044.jpg

We got the big girl fired up and I was still getting the carb set and timing in a close enough area to keep her running and I "goosed" the throttle and out of nowhere I get a lifter tick/rattle. I know I showed us setting the valve lash and we did all of them perfect but this dam loud rattle is killing me, and I can't adjust it away, so I told my son, "I am VERY PROUD of my engines. I will take it out and all apart to fix whatever the dam noise is and I will foot the bill for all of the gaskets, etc." He's a good guy and said "Thanks dad". :)
So all this week, we have been tearing the car back apart to snatch the motor out and let me spend this 3 day Holiday weekend tearing it apart to find the gremlin (Yes, not just DSM's have GREMLINS). Last night, after I got home from work I said, "Lets go out and get the transmission unbolted and the converter off of the flexplate" since that was all that was left to do.
I lifted the car up on the lift and put a breaker bar on the front balancer bolt and rolled her over to TDC before the extraction.
We got the car up in the air and went to take out the first of the three torque converter bolts out and look what we saw..............
That converter weight didn't get tack welded on good enough and when I goosed the throttle lightly, it came flying out away from the converter and was smacking the entire transmission case bellhousing. What a bi***, a $699 converter and I almost had to tear a motor down to find a nonexistent problem.
This was a RELIEF for sure, so the car is 90% back together and we "should" be break in driving it tomorrow, so, please everyone, cross your fingers for us!
AS ALWAYS, THANKS FOR FOLLOWING ALONG ON THIS ADVENTURE, IT'S BEEN QUITE THE JOURNEY! :thumb:
Pops

1630682679931.jpeg

Thor loose weight fixed.jpg

Thor converter weight scraped trans.jpg

Boy you said it Pat! What a relief, and I've NEVER seen that happen before. Not pissed at all just need to get the 30 minute breakin done for that flat tappet nitrided camshaft so no lobes go flat! :thumb: That's really my only concern. Oil pressure was 85psi startup cold and almost 40, cranking it over without sparkplugs to get oil pressure built up. I think she is gonna surprise me and my son. (wishful thinking).

Whoa, a 73 huh?!?! I had a '61 Impala for a couple years when I was in my early 20's - wish I still had it of course, but I didn't have anywhere to store it back then. Just a 283 with powerglide, not a 409 or anything.

Thats basically all my pretty old red Camaro is but a 2.barrel 327 with the powerglide. Not fast just pretty.

Years ago I had a 69 Camaro small block 350 76cc heads. I took the head off a 305 HO 64cc .. 30 over flat tops ..Cheap horsepower ...Sad thing is she burned up in a garage fire . I had no insurance on it . I had a scrap book of pictures of this car and old girl friends . My wife would get really upset when I brought out that photo album so sitting in the back yard roasting marshmallow`s over a fire I burned all the pictures in front of her to show her I cared. And that`s another sad thing .. I`m single today with no pictures of my past ..:idontknow:

That is a sad story Larry, I'm sad just reading it. Cool car, not so cool wifey. :notgood:
We are cautiously optimistic, that today, we drive!!!
So do me a favor and say a prayer to the car gods (we did) :):)
BTW.....I am happy and single!
Marty

Well we took a maiden voyage and everything so far went well so thank you car gods and memebers!
85psi cold start
52psi hot running
We took a 30 minute 2800+rpm drive to break her in.
:pray: thank you for the support everyone!!

Everyone likes PICTURES :) :cool:
More "tuning" tomorrow but I say success for the day!
The smile I saw and also had said it all!!!
(New overflow tank coming)
Pops

20210904_152812.jpg

20210904_152815.jpg

20210904_152820.jpg

20210904_152911.jpg

20210904_151206.jpg

Will do! I ran out of room on my SD card so I am swapping the data onto a new bigger card and will get some posted up. :D

This motor will be nastier when I switch the "baby" 1.3 ratio breakin rockers out and put the actual 1.5 ratio units on along with the stud girdle! I am ready for that day already.
Enjoy the sound and thanks for following!
Pops

We had to take a "casual" drive finally! :cool::)

Thanks Guys! I work hard and am OCD about my engine stuff. What i didn't tell everyone was that 30 minutes into the 1st start, I goosed the throttle, and a rocker started sounding off, forcing us to tear everything back down, prepping for engine removal and tear down to find the elusive horrible rocker tick that I couldn't adjust away.
As we get to, basically, the end and have the car on the lift, getting ready to take out the converter bolts and finally the transmission bolts (the LAST THINGS) and look what my son pointed at.....
Screenshot_20210906-105554_Gallery.jpg

THAT is a converter WEIGHT that didn't get tack welded on good and was the source of the noise that I was about to tear a new motor apart for.
I had my son weld that dam thing back down, we both said "I hope that was it" but we both know that makes one hell of a bad noise even though I had never seen that happen before.
Screenshot_20210906-105605_Gallery.jpg

So thats basically the "Whole" story behind this build and some of its "gremlins".
Thanks for reading! Things are progressing well.
Pops

Marty.. when I owned my 1983 Camaro I made my own Air Breather ... I had a metal ring made with one snorkel out the front. This attached to the plastic snorkel with the double filter on the later Camaro V8`s ..
1631014282622.png
1631014372664.png
I added these pics to show how this would work to draw cold air from the front of the car and not from the engine bay ... This would work great on the 86`s Z28.. The dual plastic breath hides a lot of the open space in the rad cradle ... I had the same air breather you are using on the Z28 .. Just remove the filter and make a metal band with a single snorkel long enough to reach the dual filter up front.. Just a suggestion ...every motor loves cold air...

Last edited:
I have an actual HO Breather from my 1984 Z28 HO. It has dual snorkels but we cant find the passenger side ducting anymore and I have no idea where I would have put it. The dual plastic part is exactly what is on my 87 IROC-Z Fuel Injected 305 but I need this big girl to not have any restrictions on the intake and I think 8, 4.125" pistons would suck more air than the breather would allow at around 6500-7000 rpms. I like the fresh air idea but already told my son that the SINGLE snorkel air breather wouldn't work, as it was to restrictive. Since I've ran these motors for decades, I know they like cool air but the cowl hood pulls a lot of hot air out of the bay as the fans are trying to replace it, which is another story (I need SPAL fans not Ebay fans).
Thanks for the ideas, always!!!! Thanks for following along too! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back