The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

My Other Baby's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Updated Spec Sheet for the Small Block Chevy build. Like I said, very good bottom end numbers, right where I like to see them!!! :thumb:
I am waiting on the Nitrided cam from Comp Cams. It is supposed to ship 6/1/21. It is a XE274H grind and should work really nice in this setup for torque all under 6500 rpm's. This will all be running through a 4L60 transmission with a "Thor" converter coupled to the 3:73 posi in the Red '86 Z28. Subframe connectors, driveshaft loop....all the goodies. :cool:
Keep watching. When the motor is complete, the trans will go to the shop for a couple of upgrades before taking it to the track. Hopefully mid-summer!!!! Fingers Crossed!
Pops

MT1 V8 THOR Build Sheet 02-01-2021.png

THOR Head Build Spec Sheet(1)_resized.jpg

A little progress. The Blue DSM will get some love very soon. More to come on that project too. Hang tite, I got ALOT goin on all of a sudden...... :cool:
Pops

20210424_171200.jpg

20210424_172845.jpg

20210424_173201.jpg

I got some pretty pictures from the fun I had this afternoon after work.
I just HAD to show it off.
Camshaft comes in tomorrow. I waited 2 months on it because I had it Nitrided.
Enjoy and thanks for following along! My good friends have probably already seen this but I'm excited about how she's gonna run and looks so I had to let the world know! :thumb:
More update's REAL SOON!
:cool:
Pops

20210503_172759.jpg

20210503_172501.jpg

20210503_172452.jpg

Thanks Jeff, I do enjoy this work or I wouldn't do it.
A few more pics of 3 hours of work last night, you can't tell I did anything, but the bump stick came in so it got installed immediately!
Now to button up all of the loose ends a just a few parts small parts left (pushrods, distributor, plugs and wires), bolt the heads down good, then strap on the 800 Holley:thumb:
I will be using 1.3 ratio break in rockers for the initial break in for the cam then switch back to the 1.5's for the rest of its life.
Marty

20210504_182049_resized.jpg

20210504_182108_resized.jpg

20210504_182115_resized.jpg

20210504_182146_resized.jpg

20210504_182259_resized.jpg

Thanks Jeff, I do enjoy this work or I wouldn't do it.
A few more pics of 3 hours of work last night, you can't tell I did anything, but the bump stick came in so it got installed immediately!
Now to button up all of the loose ends a just a few parts small parts left (pushrods, distributor, plugs and wires), bolt the heads down good, then strap on the 800 Holley:thumb:
I will be using 1.3 ratio break in rockers for the initial break in for the cam then switch back to the 1.5's for the rest of its life.
Marty

View attachment 628712

View attachment 628713

View attachment 628714

View attachment 628715

View attachment 628716
If my kids were grown up I would love to build some old school muscle. My dad taught me how to wrench on cars with his Camaros. Turbo I4's are my bread and butter but you can never go wrong with some raw v8 muscle! Especially with an engine like that.

Well the youngest son (22) got the short end of the stick when I built HIS graduation gift, his Camaro, when I had to go get a used motor to get it done in time. The oldest son (28) got his Camaro with a Wilson Engine Shop 355 full blown badass motor, so this is kind of making up for not being able to do the same for the youngest. Both boys's gifts were 1986 Z28's, no computers, all old school stuff. No I couldn't afford a NEW car like the rich folks give their kids but my blood, sweat, tears, knowledge and $$ are in their hand built gifts. :thumb:

Well......Do you see FOUR of them???? :sneaky::sneaky:
I just got those mounted when I put my auto trans in, just to get disappointed with it. I was ready to go hit the track and see if I even needed them. I have had them in my house since 2017 (they were not suppose to see temps under freezing or something like that). I will be back on the auto car very soon, with yet another trans, and try to use those Ventus Z214's.
With this engine jumping in the way of my DSM stuff, I am a little further behind than I wanted to be for the year. The Red Talon should have been assembled by now too.
Good SPOT Solomon, I did that picture INTENTIONALLY, :thumb: and you caught it!

Just a small update on the V8 build. I have the oil pump, cam, front cover and oil pan all bolted up as permanent now and the top end will get bolted in (not just pictures and getting shit out of my house and on the motor). I need .100" longer pushrods and will get that and a distributor on the way. I have a 6AL box for this also but shhhh. :shhh:
Just an update, EVERYONE, treat your mom today!!!
Marty

20210509_135355.jpg

20210509_135401.jpg

With the heads bolted down at 65 ft/lbs, it was time to check the pushrod length that I had already checked and ordered. I had to use .100" longer pushrods for the correct valvetrain geometry. They worked out perfect!
Here are a few more pictures. Making headway! :thumb:
One picture of the Nitrided Comp Cam too.
Marty
20210513_155318_resized.jpg
20210513_173327_resized.jpg
20210513_154340_resized.jpg
Xe274h cam for Thor.jpg

Set back. Called the head manufacturer and asked if the rocker studs needed sealeant. "Yes they do" was the answer so we are going to tear the studs out and apply ARP Sealant and re-align all of the individual pushrod guideplates but its not to terrible. Better to catch it now!
On the up side, I have all of the 1.3 rockers ready to go on then we can seal her up with the intake, carb and distributor. Scheduled for tomorrow but we will see how the day goes.
I got my garden tilled today, LOL. Lawn needs mowed......Dam I'm busy.
20210515_174322.jpg

DSM stuff coming up Memorial day weekend! New trans R&R for the Blue Talon too. Upcoming events, keep your eyes open, the old man is gonna get some shit done and smile!. :thumb:

Today I am pulling all 16 rocker studs out of the V8 heads and applying ARP thread sealer per FloTeks great customer support line. Glad I asked if they needed sealer before I got any further. Half are done as of now. Each one requires me to put a rocker arm on and then align each individual pushrod guide plate for exact location of the rocker to valve tip before locking them down at 45 ft/lbs. Not hard, just time consuming. Time for lunch! Stay "tuned" ;)
Pops

Got all 16 sealed up and precisely back in place with each guideplate.
Now, pick a ratio, any ratio LOL.
I am bresking in with the Purple rockers then going to the Gold 1.5s. The Red ones are 1.6s if I would like a little more lift outta this cam.
It's time to set the valve lash and seal her up!
Enjoy a few pics!
Pops

20210516_163216.jpg

20210516_163151.jpg

20210516_163203.jpg

20210516_163411.jpg

Right? Not a sole will know what is under those cheap chrome tall covers (I had to hack the baffle out of them so the girdles would fit). It will/should look like your typical SBC with bolt ons. I hope it performs BETTER than the typical and pretty sure it will. :thumb:
Thanks for watching it go together!!!

Valves all set using this 2 step method. I visually watched each lifter depress and tought a couple younger guys how to "feel" when a pushrod contacts the lifter buy spinning them as you tighten them down. Good experience for some folks.
Here is what we ended up with after setting all the valves for initial startup.
Pops

20210516_194202.jpg

20210516_194548.jpg

20210516_194601.jpg

20210516_194610.jpg

20210516_192226.jpg

I have never found a set of CLEAR SBC Valve covers so that expensive stuff can be admired, although this build is another sleeper build for the local crowd hehehehe. Shhhhhh ROFL

Oh that is what we like to do. I might put some duct tape on the car just for "sleeper" effects.
Kiddo would be happy if his Camaro would run a low 13 at the track. I told him I am pretty sure he will get that and very possibly a high 12, we will see! He has a driveshaft loop, LCA relocation and subframe connectors for the car, she should be safe!
I am worried about flat tappet cam break in but nothin I can do except use break in oil and camshaft lube on the nitride cam and not let her idle for the first 20-30 mins.

Well, the SBC is done. I need to clear coat the balancer and suck it on and that is just about it.
A few pictures, you can hardly see the block for all of the "bling". The only original pieces are the block, crank and rods.
She sure is pretty, now if she will just do what I built her to do, then there will be smiles in abundance!!! :thumb:
Enjoy and thanks for the encouragement to get my mind off of my DSM transmission to all of my DSM buddies!!!!
She (the DSM) is on the lift and front end is apart, getting ready to pull it and replace it. Stay tuned over there also!
Pops

20210520_160446_resized.jpg

20210520_161754_resized.jpg

20210520_162259_resized.jpg

20210520_163802_resized.jpg

20210520_164644_resized.jpg

20210520_165647_resized.jpg

20210520_171128_resized.jpg

Well I got the last piece ready to go on. I patiena'd the new balancer with timing tape on it with LOTS of clear coat to try and keep it on the balancer. I used 500* Engine Clear so we will all see how it holds up.
Boy I'm busy.......
Thanks for hanging in there with me and my son Trevor on this non-DSM project! (The next DSM project is his Blue 90 GSX) :shhh: Stay "tuned" for more on that!!! ;)
Pops

20210604_160511_resized.jpg

I decided to put my little "spice" on to the balancer. Now you don't have to look for numbers, just a color but stay out of the RED! ;)
I added a little YELLOW strip in between the Green and Orange as a "Caution Zone" and will post it tonite or tomorrow as an addition to these pictures.
It was just something "different" but will show total timing, which on my Chevys, I always run at 28*-36* when its all in and feel safe about it. Each motor will vary in that range.
I am going to clear coat over the top of that tonite to seal it on.
It will probably be a month before we get the motor into the sons car but its ready!
Pops

20210602_161337_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back