The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

My new clutch setup **pics**

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsegsx9797 said:
Um buddy id do alittle more looking and maybe talk to some people that actully know his car, its a custom act 3200 clutch with a street disc :thumb:

The drivetrain has been bolstered with an an ACPT carbon-fiber driveshaft and ACT 3,200-lb pressure plate and street disc clutch assembly, which actuates a lightened Fidanza flywheel. The transmission was reassembled by Shepherd according to his own formula for success--but retains its original factory gear ratios. The factory differentials remain in place.

http://www.shepracing.com/turboarticle.htm

:thumb:

you telling me that that 8 second monster isnt even equipped with a front nor center lsd? just factory rear lsd and factory differentials up front OMG

Scrymerr said:
The drivetrain has been bolstered with an an ACPT carbon-fiber driveshaft and ACT 3,200-lb pressure plate and street disc clutch assembly, which actuates a lightened Fidanza flywheel. The transmission was reassembled by Shepherd according to his own formula for success--but retains its original factory gear ratios. The factory differentials remain in place.

http://www.shepracing.com/turboarticle.htm

:thumb:

thank you for that post man, clears up what i was trying to tell someone else earlier in this thread that he does use a act3200/street disc not a act2900. :thumb:

ACT has gone down the toilet recently....they used to make decent products with good QC, but now, for whatever reason, no. Stick with 1 of the 2 "C's":

competition or
centerforce

ASMX86Routine said:
ACT has gone down the toilet recently....they used to make decent products with good QC, but now, for whatever reason, no. Stick with 1 of the 2 "C's":

competition or
centerforce

THat usually happens when jobs become outsoruced, I hope that act doesnt get their shit made in china. I see (at work) all these parts comming in from taiwan and china, shit is cheap and made well.............. after about 3-4 times of them submitting samples because they keep on getting the shit wrong. I really hope that act stuff si being made here and not somewhere in the far east.

ASMX86Routine said:

competition or
centerforce

This is what i am talking about.

How many clutches have fail in the last 2 months. none that I have heard of. There was a 1 month period when they had maybe 150 bad clutches and I havent heard anything more. Yeah they are realling go down hill. :rolleyes:

Lets see probably millions of products made and, lets make it a big number for shit and giggles, 500 took a crap. Thats 1/2 of 1 percent that failed for a DSM. The only reason we heard about it so often was because look at were we are, a DSM board.

If people would use common sense it would be a big help.

eclipsegsx9797 said:
Um buddy id do alittle more looking and maybe talk to some people that actully know his car, its a custom act 3200 clutch with a street disc :thumb:

Well i am wrong, i thought i saw somewhere he posted a 2900. But maybe i thought that b/c he posted in a thread about the 2900. But he has said he runs a 3400lb plate and a 3200. So im not too sure... But either way im wrong. Apolgize for the misunderstanding.

And about the competition clutch thing, dont know what you mean by that. But its going in my daily driver. I just wanted somthing to last, grabbed, held, and i could repeat launching in a few short mintues and not have a problem.

NewB2dsm said:
Well i am wrong, i thought i saw somewhere he posted a 2900. But maybe i thought that b/c he posted in a thread about the 2900. But he has said he runs a 3400lb plate and a 3200. So im not too sure... But either way im wrong. Apolgize for the misunderstanding.

And about the competition clutch thing, dont know what you mean by that. But its going in my daily driver. I just wanted somthing to last, grabbed, held, and i could repeat launching in a few short mintues and not have a problem.[/QUOT

its cool man im just messing around. :thumb:

Its not the fact that my ACT 2600 failed, its the fact that their customer service blows and they were not willing to help me what so ever...Terrible business ethics.

They should have just FIXED the problem with those 150(so you say) bad act clutches and replaced them for free which they didnt...Their excuse was i installed it wrong....Ya right, ive done many clutches is many dsms before..im pretty sure i know how.

Also martin for the speed factor even said he has personally seen tons of acts going bad.

They switched manufacturers to make the extra penny and gave up the quality that EXEDY produced for them.

I liked my first ACT, but now I just cant trust them, they were terrible to me and didnt even try to help.

Im sportin the Centerforce... I love it... Only reason why I got it, is b/c my mechanic recommended it... I have nothin against ACT.. why? b/c I have never had one :p

Anyway. back to the topic... Good luck with the new clutch... Only reason I think your crazy is because to spend all that money on a clutch... But hey, its your money, and your car, do what you will. BTW that clutch is pertty. Sort of unfortionate you won't see it after its installed...

Just a littl FYI for you guys, ACT redesigned there street disk, it now has 4 rivets holding the center Hub together and it uses differient springs then the old design. The old design only used 3 rivet's that's part of the reason the Hub's were seperating. The new disk is much more beefier and looks a lot like a stock 2g disk.

Had no idea there was another Rice Killer on this board.

It's time for me to go with a new clutch and this time Im going to try out the CF dual friction. I've had ACT and I think it was good for its time but now I'm ready for a change.

ROFL That's funny I have been registered on here since 2002 I just don't post much. I wouldn't use a CFDF unless you don't drag race to much, they can't take the heat and they will wear faster then a ACT will.

Yeah, you beat me to the name there by a year or so. I don't plan to drag race AT ALL but I do want the clutch to be able to reliably hold about 360hp... I dont remember how much torque that is.

What makes you think ACT will wear better? aka
"Whatchu talkin bout Willis?" :mad:

:D

It should be fine for daily driving, I'm just saying it will faster if drag racing all the time. The material in the disk will wear prematurly if you do one 1/4 mile run after the other without letting the disk cool down because of the material used in the disk.

i put in a used 2600 in my car cuz a friend gave it to me and even though it didn't have a lot of life left on the clutch, it's still been holding up for me pretty well. i've put a little over 10,000 miles on it with plenty of hard launches and it's still holding up. i'll probably just get another street disc when i put in my new tranny.

How much would that disc run me alone? I've been looking for something stronger than the combo kevlar/organic material ones I keep shredding like soft cheese. I don't have the discipline to drive my damn car everyday. Getting WAAAY too expensive.

Also, would I be able to run that on an ACT 2600LBS Plate? If you don't know the answer, can you give me a website for the place you got it? I looked up Speed Design on google but I got a lot of different pages. Thanks in advance

The ACT street disk runs around $120 by itself. This season I was running a ACT 2600 PP with SBR Street disk Kevlar/Organic disk. I burnt it up like swiss cheese, just like you said. After about 10 12sec passes my clutch is toast. Next Season I think I'm going to try out the ACT 2900 with a ACT street disk. I think my car is pushing to much HP for a ACT 2600. I dyno 450 Corrected over a year ago with an internal gate. I'm pushing at least another 20hp now, and going threw clutches way to fast. So it's time to step it up, but I don't have the money for a twin disk setup so the ACT will have to do for now. :thumb:

Thats funny... I installed a brand new ACT2100 and just last night when I punched it in first gear I got ZERO wheel spin and all kinds of high revs. RPM's shooting up with no wheel spin tells me that the 2100 aint exactly transferring all my power to the ground.

That sucks. :mad:
How many horses can this clutch hold reliably? I don't think I'm making over 310hp.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back