1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

My New 2G

Posted by The Great White, Aug 9, 2011

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. The Great White

The Great White Proven Member

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    Upton, Massachusetts
    So I just bought my 1997 Eclipse GST. My last car was too much to repair, an opportunity came up for me to buy this car so I jumped on it, because it was white, a GST, and decent mileage (80K) and these cars are harder and harder to come by.

First task is trying to figure out how to get rear mold/trim off around back hatch window to fix two quarter size rust spots around window seal. Any suggestions on how that guy comes off easily? I already purchased a new trim/"reveal mold".

Also with everyones wealth of knowledge, which mods should I start with and work my way up too? I've been reading other posts for the past couple of days but see all sorts of responses, so I just wanted to see what you guys have to say.

Let me know what you guys think of the new car and any suggestions.

For anyone who wants to posts suggestions or things I should do and what has worked (or not worked) for them just let me know. And please I've read other posts, I'm not a mechanic, I'm not totally familiar with the car yet, I'm reading up other posts to try and learn, so please don't HATE or leave your negative comments. I am a newbie and am not ashamed, but I do have a love for the car and I want to learn, hence why I'm here and asking for advice. Thanks for the support!

Attached Files:

451  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  2. Josh2g

Josh2g Proven Member

Joined Aug 8, 2011
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Your first mod should be maintance, replace the water pump, timing belt, balance shaft belt, spark plugs and wires at the very least. You do not want to start throwing mods at an engine that has not been very well maintained. After that, think about what your power goal is and what you plan on using the car for. Once you reach a secision look at what other DSMers did/do to reach those goals and copy what they did. As for the rear hatch window it will probably need some Goo-gone and some elbow grease to get it off of there.

Street Build 254  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  3. 99eclipse420

99eclipse420 Proven Member

Joined Jul 7, 2011
    irmo, South Carolina
    You can use a gasket scrapper to get it off or go to harbor freight, I saw there one time a tool specific to getting window mold trim off.

372  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    · 2G DSM
  4. 1990AWD

1990AWD Supporting VIP

Joined Apr 27, 2009
    Langham, SK, Canada
    Beautiful car! Congrats!

5. 4Lurker4

4Lurker4 Proven Member

Joined Jan 11, 2009
    Brampton, ON, Canada
    She does look good, best of luck with her!

1K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  6. 907gs-t

907gs-t Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2009
    Juneau, Alaska
    Welcome to the land of DSM's.

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    11.899 @ 126.000 · 2G DSM
  7. The Great White

The Great White Proven Member

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    Upton, Massachusetts
    Thanks for the suggestions and comments guys. Much appreciated. @ Josh 2G, when you say to replace the water pump, timing belt, balance shaft belt, spark plugs and wires at the very least. I didn't even consider this and am thinking your probably right. Is this all work I could manage myself by using the forums and a repair "manual" cd I'm getting, also any suggestions on the spark plugs?

As for the rear hatch; at work I got a pretty heavy duty heat gun I can probably use to loosen up any glue holding down that trim. I've been searching the forums for ways to go about it, but no one seems to have a decent clear cut answer. I anticipate having all the materials for the job this weekend and will try and post pics for any others out there who are curious.

451  0

· 2G DSM
  8. blindboarder_02

blindboarder_02 Proven Member

Joined Oct 8, 2005
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Good color. Clean looking 2gb.
    Engine work should come first. Next I would crawl underneath and get a good look at all the control arms, ball joints and suspension components. Since our cars have plenty of ball joints to inspect, I wouldnt overlook any one of them. Another member had a ball joint seperate on him driving down the road, thankfully he wasnt injured or hurt anyone else, but its something worth inspecting. A simple $100 control arm and ball joint could potentially save you thousands in repair bills later.

blindboarder_02

244  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    · 2G DSM
  9. cbower

cbower Proven Member

Joined Jun 10, 2011
    East Troy, Wisconsin
    NGK no questions asked on the plugs 8 mm if you can for the wires.... here is also your new best friend once your maintenance is done Tech Guide: 2G 4G63t Upgrades - DSMtuners

have fun with the car, we are in the same boat with the 80k 1997 gst :hellyeah:

219  0

· 2G DSM
  10. 97_TSi

97_TSi Probationary Member

Joined Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsford, New York
    Great looking car! What kind of power are you looking to get? (After maintenence of course)

11. Josh2g

Josh2g Proven Member

Joined Aug 8, 2011
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    As it has already been said NGK sparkplugs and wires would be best. For everything else nothing comes close to OEM. All of it is something you can do without going to a shop, make sure you understand what you are doing before you take anything apart. Read the directions carefully to ensure nothing will wear out prematurely. It will be a good learning experience because all of those parts are an important step in keeping your DSM running for a long time.

Street Build 254  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  12. doubleclutch

doubleclutch Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2009
    Canton, Michigan
    I would recommend after all the maintenance mentioned you invest in a nice set of air/fuel and boost pressure gauges.You don't want to throw stuff on there and be running lean/rich or boosting too high.

13. kmetiuk

kmetiuk Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2010
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Very nice and clean. Stellar purchase.

Road Race Build 1K  1

1997 Eagle Talon N/T
    manual · 2G DSM