The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

My names Travis

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravGST98

Probationary Member
Jan 23, 2019
Clarkston, Michigan
I'm Travis I have a 98 eclipse gst. I'm looking for all and any info I can get about this car. I'm not used to this platform and Ik this community is very knowledgable.

Start 1st by reading all of the FAQ's available for these cars on this forum and other resources (google search is your friend), they have been around for 20 years and there is a plethora of information available..

I'm Travis I have a 98 eclipse gst. I'm looking for all and any info I can get about this car. I'm not used to this platform and Ik this community is very knowledgable.

There's lots of good info, just have to search and ask away. Tons of ppl to help out on here!

So it took me this long to figure out where I can ask questions LOL and this is the only place I found. I been looking but cant find anything so... my engine is top side built but bottom end stock. Want to get a new turbo and found a td06 20g mhi for about 560. What psi can I run on it? Will it blow my motor? And will it bolt right up to my current setup. Have a 1g turbo currently but the wastegate is stuck open so I figure it's time to upgrade.

Also forgot to mention the engine is a 7 bolt.

Without supporting mods, you won't be able to run that 20g very hard. What, if any tuning solution do you have? injectors, fuel pump, intercooler etc?

I don't believe a td06 20g will bolt to a DSM manifold unless it has the proper turbine housing, @JusMX141 would know for sure.

You will want to research supporting mods for a larger turbo, a tuning solution should be at the top of your list, then the other go-faster parts.

@tametalon92 I have 750cc injectors from injector clinic on the way along with an aem series 2 ems as well. I have someone that can tune it but my original reason for changing it is because the engine needs to be tuned anyways once the ems shows up and the wastegate on my current turbo being stuck open. Idk what's causing it to stick.

Seeing a lot of negative about td06 turbos so I think I'll stick with the 1g for now. And try to fix the wastegate issue. Maybe crank it to like 20psi or so?

Idk what would be negative about them really, save lag maybe. I personally and running a 14b and it does great for a street turbo @ 20psi. Once I get some time and capability to work on it again, I want to run it higher before I put my holset on.

Nothing wrong with a 14b to start, or any mhi bolt-on for that matter imho. Could always do a bastard 20g if you want?

Idk what would be negative about them really, save lag maybe. I personally and running a 14b and it does great for a street turbo @ 20psi. Once I get some time and capability to work on it again, I want to run it higher before I put my holset on.

Nothing wrong with a 14b to start, or any mhi bolt-on for that matter imho. Could always do a bastard 20g if you want?

A bastard 20g? That a brand I assume? Haven't heard of em. And yeah the car currently has a 1g turbo on it with an internal wastegate. What should I upgrade to that will bolt right on?

A bastard 20g is a 20g wheel on a td05 (stock 14b/16g) turbine wheel, with the compressor cover machined to fit the 20g. It's a fairly common turbo to build, but with the td05 turbine and smaller mhi compressor housing they can surgery pretty bad. Called a bastard because the 20g was factory td06, but ppl were slapping the comp wheels on td05 setups and machining covers, "bastardizing" for a punchy, stock frame looking turbo.

There is always the ever popular evo3 16g or any variant, or even the 68hta, all offered with internal wastegate and bolt on capability.

For your current turbo, do you have a picture of the wastegate arm and flapper piece? I feel like fixing the current turbo may be the better option to start with.

I dont have any pictures rn it's so cold outside lately that I haven't bothered with it. As I said previously the car is bassically stock but the head is built for about 500 hp. Theres lots of stuff I want to or need to do to the car but getting it running correctly was my first priority. The 1g turbo that's on it has the td05 housing? Compressor? I remember seeing that number on it. As soon as its warm enough to hold my tools and be outside for more than 10 minutes I plan to remove the actuator on the turbo and see if the flapper arm will move at all. All I know is it wont build boost cuz its stuck open.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back