The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

My machinist

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido fist pumps to those who have helped. Lol. Thank you! Now im going to assemble this damn thing. Them asshole ruined my weekend. I was hoping to have a full motor by tonight....

Just to add some information here
This email is from Kiggly racing who make the girdle.

I've seen a bunch of people do this and it is the way the g4cs block is set up. The hoops on the main caps are just about redundant with the main girdle installed. They do a little something, but not much after the girdle is installed. It is definitely still much better with the girdle and those hoops removed than without the girdle and the hoops intact.

Thanks, Kevin

So they polished the edge's of the head. The caps were still chewed up. Refused to line hone the journals. Told me they would polish the edges of the caps. This isn't going well at all.... still told me the cams cause the tool marks. I'm taking a trashed head to him tomorrow to show him what the journals should look like. I doubt that will do any good though. I'm sure I'll eat the cost of this and set my build back few weeks. Won't be driving it to the shootout...

SlowChild.... Pull the followers and HLAs, install the cams, a drop of oil on each cam journal, install the cam caps and torque to spec.

Now if you can spin the cams with your fingers, and just your fingers, you are fine. if you have to put a wrench on the cam, then there is an issue.

If it is some light streaking on the cam caps, not the towers, then put the caps in a bucket of diesel fuel, or mineral spirits. Now with some old wore out scotch-brite (green/fine), use the ball of your thumb and lightly shine the cam cap journal.

Clean well and then retest like I explained above.

As slong as they smoothed the nicks off the edges of the cam journals, in a decent matter that will be fine.

Line honing the cam journals would not fix that anyway.

After seeing the caps chopped up, I would pull the bottom end all the way apart and check the align bore. We have NEVER cut them apart like that so I cannot comment on whether it is detrimental or not, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd also double check all of the clearances as it seems that corners were cut.

As for the head, I have a hard time believing that he's going to align hone the cam bores. This is a time-consuming and costly job that he's not going to want to do for free. I would be very wary that he's going to simply remove the marks with some sort of abrasive on a die grinder.

After seeing the caps chopped up, I would pull the bottom end all the way apart and check the align bore. We have NEVER cut them apart like that so I cannot comment on whether it is detrimental or not, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd also double check all of the clearances as it seems that corners were cut.

As for the head, I have a hard time believing that he's going to align hone the cam bores. This is a time-consuming and costly job that he's not going to want to do for free. I would be very wary that he's going to simply remove the marks with some sort of abrasive on a die grinder.

Exactly! This machinist is lazily schlepping his work. I am no professional machinist, but I have done quite a bit of it, and I can confidently say I could probably do it better myself. :|

I can confidently say I could probably do it better myself. :|

So what part of probably is being confident? I wouldn't do business with you only by the way you sold yourself as not being confident by being probable. Just joking. I wouldnt go to anybody anyways. I'd figure I call you out on your use of words.:sneaky:

So what part of probably is being confident? I wouldn't do business with you only by the way you sold yourself as not being confident by being probable. Just joking. I wouldnt go to anybody anyways. I'd figure I call you out on your use of words.:sneaky:

ROFL

Good point... Now that you've pointed it out, if I heard that from my machinist, I wouldn't be giving him my engine parts either. :p

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back