The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

My first problem :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asexton6969

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 8, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
So on friday i was driving to school. Which is a twenty minute drive. I have been having some trouble with pressure in my head and have been trying various ways to relieve it. Well i started my car, let it warm up, making sure to take my time becuz it was icy out. As i was turning left in to the school parking lot, i notice my oil light flicker on and then off. As i continued down the parking lot it start flickering on longer and then going off. I parked and immediately shut it off once i saw the oil light flicker on. I pop the hood and as i step out of the car, all i smell was burned oil. I open the hood to find oil on my battery and all over my intake. I look over to see a circle gasket piece missing from my valve cover. Im guessing there was so much pressure in my head that it blew out the gasket. I tried to retrieve my car on saturday only to get a flat tire in the car i was riding in. By the time i made it home i had to go to work. On sunday i had no one to take me to my school to get my car. My dad was quite pissy and u learn to leave him alone. So im taking tools with me tomorrow and im getting a ride to school. I plan on taking the valve cover off, pushing the circle piece back in, reinstalling the valve cover, wiping the engine clean of oil and then topping off the oil. hopefully my car will be fine. Hopefully i make it home and i will go in town later this week to get a new valve cover gasket set. Now i know what it means to own a dsm..o well a small price to pay in order to have a nice car.

How offen do you change you oil? When was the last you changed it?

I have an open filter next to it. I need a catch can. I change my oil every 3,000 miles and its only been like 1,500. o and a filled it with oil. I limped it all the way home. It blew some blue smoke for 2 or 3 mins and then drove completely fine the whole way home.. i think i might have filled it with too much oil too. I need to drain some.

I hate to tell you this but if you are getting blue smoke out of the tail pipe, there is def. oil getting into the combustion chamber somehow. Most likely its one of these causing the problem:

My car blows blue smoke! Is there a fix?
From Todd Hayashi, there are three likely causes:

1) Failed oil ring(s) in the block
2) Failed valve seal(s) in the head
3) Failed turbo oil seal
Lorrin Barth pointed out that a fourth cause, especially on rebuilt heads, may be poor fit between the valves and the valve guides.

OK your problem is the open filter, just place a catchcan, or a rubber hose on there, route it into the intake, and it will be fixed. I had the same problem a few weeks back, although I cannot help you with the oil light.

wait so putting just a breather filter on the valve cover pcv valve is bad? thats how i have it right now just because i kind of had to cause i have an aftermarket metal intake pipe, not the stock accordian pipe.

in my situation what would be the best alternative? since i cant have the vacuum line with a little catch filter, is there a different way to make it work like its supposed to?

and why exactly is the breather filter bad? wouldnt it just be like the intake hose?

Yea ive known about the catch can thing. I just havent found any so... I think people somewhat misunderstood my post. I have to replace my valve cover gasket cuz i blew part of it that is why i had the oil light on. All my oil went spilling out of it. So thanks for all the replies. If anyone knows of a good oil catch can let me know. For now i need to get a new valve cover gasket and replace it. As to why part of it blew idk. Maybe just a fluke.

A catch can is a catch can, as long as it is facing the right way. Just take the hose running from the valve cover to the intake, cut it, and put a fuel filter in there. Or, if you have some cash, spend like $100 on a Greddy one.

Yep. Small fuel filter = :thumb:

In my opinion, it's always better to use leave the hose connected to the intake. Why? The intake is connected to the turbo which is always sucking air in so it has a bit of a vacuum to it. It helps the breather hose draw air/pressure out of the head. If you've just got one of those chintzy aftermarket midget filters on there, you're working with the pressure inside the head and ambient pressure. Also, oil is still gonna get in there and make it all gross and possibly make your engine bay dirty too. Just my two cents.

-Andrew

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back