The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

My First Post

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telekenephews

Probationary Member
Sep 29, 2021
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Howdy Folks!

Brand new to the world of DSM. Just bought a wrecked 94 Talon. (See pics) plan on using the Non-Turbo drivetrain to upgrade some very slow car into a only kinda slow car. Got my eyes on a Fiat X1/9 but don't know if it can even be bought.

Previous car experience is tinkering with a few first gen Neons (420A life!) and currently own a 3000GT.

Anywho... Not may good parts left on the Talon. I'll probably try to save anything that looks worth saving while I'm yanking the drivetrain. Are there any particularly sought after pieces I should make note of?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Welcome. If it has a non turbo 4g63, the motor is the only thing worth saving.
That lower door trim/rocker panel trim would be worth holding on to. I'd strip the shell of anything in good condition, as well as the block, and use it on a straight shell. That doesn't look like a good foundation to start with.

That lower door trim/rocker panel trim would be worth holding on to. I'd strip the shell of anything in good condition, as well as the block, and use it on a straight shell. That doesn't look like a good foundation to start with.
Yeah that door doesn’t look bad. Definitely not a good candidate other than demolition derby.

Definitely not a good foundation for anything. The pictures are showing the "good" side of the car.

This is a sad sight, but I hope you can save a few things off it.

If the sunroof has a good seal on the glass, does anybody know if it could be transferred to a good glass?
I seriously doubt it. Those things stiffen up pretty bad and will probably crack when trying to pull it out.

I`ve had to work with some stiff rubbers ( get your mind out of the gutter ) and what I do is wet it and then use a hair dryer to heat it up a bit and it will soften up a bit. Then rub it down with vaseline to make it supple again...I use this same idea when repairing vinyl car seats that have become brittle . Just thought I`d throw that out there .

I`ve had to work with some stiff rubbers ( get your mind out of the gutter ) and what I do is wet it and then use a hair dryer to heat it up a bit and it will soften up a bit. Then rub it down with vaseline to make it supple again...I use this same idea when repairing vinyl car seats that have become brittle . Just thought I`d throw that out there .
Well hell, in that case it might be worth a try.

This is a sad sight, but I hope you can save a few things off it.

If the sunroof has a good seal on the glass, does anybody know if it could be transferred to a good glass?
The sunroof glass was broken out, but I can see about the rubber there.

I'd save as much as possible. Little things like door handles, trim pieces, most interior parts (like knobs, coin trays, vents, door trim, etc), antenna mount, spoiler, the list goes on- all this stuff is getting hard to find now.

Although I don't know how much of a packrat you are, someone will want these parts eventually.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back