The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

My first new turbo... Evo 3 16g (pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
I just got my first new turbo:cool: I've been on the stock turbo since I got the car (half a year). I'm just glad I finally got something better. Anyways, just some pictures of it. Of course as soon as I got it I brought it over to AMS to get ported and get a 34mm flapper installed, so that should be done in a day or two. I'm hoping to get low 12's or even 11.9 on this turbo. Hopefully it will be all I expected it to be. Just thought I'd share:D

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well, the motivation was brought upon me when a friend with an automatic 2g GSX ran a 12.1 with a evo 3 16g, and his car had ignition troubles on that run.

In order to try to break into the 11's with it, I'm going with a Dejon FMIC kit, HKS 272/272 cams, a 255 and AFPR, 650s, SAFC, a High stall torque converter, and my current modifications.

Nice, i remember when i first got my evo 3 16g. Still have it 20k miles later.

My cousin has that turbo on his GST, has a nice little kick to it. Good luck!

You will enjoy that turbo, but you will want more later on. I am currently shopping around for another one, either a 50-Trim, or even a Sleeper 20G... I have been in quite a few cars with 20G's, and they spool just as fast as ours, but pull a hell of a lot harder... I thought they had small turbos, til I looked under the hood and asked, I couldn't believe it... You won't be dissapointed though, 400Whp is attainable, with the mods of course, and 11's are pushing it, but its possible...

I know of a few cars that have ran high 11s on the evo3, including a GVR4. I think high 11s with an auto 2g should be very doable, one guy has ran 11.7 with an evo3 in a 5spd fullweight 2g.

I went 12.1 with a normal 16g in my full weight car. 11's for sure with the evoIII. The auto will even help you get there with less power. Some words of advice, dont bother with the 34mm flapper. It will make your boost DROP towards the topend, kinda like your stock turbo does, just not as dramatic. You want to hold power all the way to redline. I would also tell you not to even bother porting, but porting concentrated around the wastegate path is a must with any 16g to help cure boost creep.

I remember when i got my EvoIII. That was about a year and a half ago.

One of these says i might just put it on!

Well, I installed it tonight with a little help from my brother. I have to say, it is a pretty amazing turbo for the price. I noticed a lot better efficiency from it... After 4000 RPM the t25 would just die out, but this keeps pulling all the way.

Haha, some day...

At least I don't have to check for shaft play with tweezers any more...

I'll snap some engine photos tomorrow morning for you guys...

A little off topic, but does anyone know where I can find a guide to litterally take apart this particular turbo (one that shows torque specs-n-all)? Or perhaps a guide that will give me a "general" guideline as to how to go about doing this?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back