The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

my first dyno

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beihl304

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 7, 2008
mcmechen, West_Virginia
i dyno'd my car for the first time at my school yesterday on a dynojet. i had the ebay evo3 16g at 20 psi with a chipped eprom ecu. the first run i made 247hp with it running pretty rich. with some tuning i managed to get 268.4 whp and 283.5 tq. this was also on a stock clutch which you could easily hear it slipping. it was dyno'd in 4th gear.
should i have done it in 3rd or 4th?

To get accurate engine/torque numbers on a dyno you want to be in a gear that will give you as close to a 1:1 ratio as possible. Im pretty sure 4th gear pulls are standard on the AWD platform because it's the closest to 1:1 and its a longer gear. Front wheel drives and autos will be closer to a 1:1 with 3rd gear. Even though you "made" your car FWD its still an AWD transmission, so I think tuning in 4th was the right choice.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as far as I know the above is correct.

:dsm:

arnt awd trannys geared different tho?
thanks for the reply

To get accurate engine/torque numbers on a dyno you want to be in a gear that will give you as close to a 1:1 ratio as possible. Im pretty sure 4th gear pulls are standard on the AWD platform because it's the closest to 1:1 and its a longer gear. Front wheel drives and autos will be closer to a 1:1 with 3rd gear. Even though you "made" your car FWD its still an AWD transmission, so I think tuning in 4th was the right choice.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as far as I know the above is correct.

arnt awd trannys geared different tho?
thanks for the reply
I guess I read your OP wrong but I still answered your question, just read the bolded part of my original post to your answer your question. Since you were dyno'ing a FWD then you should have done 3rd gear pulls for accurate numbers. Either way your getting an accurate tune and your dyno numbers wouldn't be much higher, if at all.

yep, thanks for clearing it up for me..

thanks, for some reason my school doesnt email them, you gotta bring in a usb storage thing which i didnt know so i gave my friend that has the class the storage device and he claims he couldt find my dyno file? so all i got is a really crappy picture on my iphone which shows my hp and tq... but im happy with my numbers, i was hoping to be closer to the 300 whp area but i guess once i get the act 2100 ill have to dyno her again.

thanks, for some reason my school doesnt email them, you gotta bring in a usb storage thing which i didnt know so i gave my friend that has the class the storage device and he claims he couldt find my dyno file? so all i got is a really crappy picture on my iphone which shows my hp and tq... but im happy with my numbers, i was hoping to be closer to the 300 whp area but i guess once i get the act 2100 ill have to dyno her again.
Don't be hopeful for 300 hp man, be happy with those numbers! Heres my "go fast" list that put down close to what you did... my dyno numbers are in my signature running 91 octane.

Bolt-on Modifications:
small 16g // RRE j-pipe // Injen intake // hks ssq bov // 1g 60mm tb // evo III intake manifold (hondata gasket) // HRC fmic 24"x9.3"x3.5" // RRE UICP // denso 660cc fuel injectors // walbro 255 fp (rewired) // AEM afpr // 2g exhaust manifold (ported) // punishment racing externally gated o2 housing dumped // tial 38 mm external wastegate with a .9 bar spring // apexi gt 3" cat delete dp // HKS hi power catback exhaust // hallman mbc // nology hotwires // prothane motor mounts // mishimoto radiator // SPAL 12" push fan // optima red top // RRE oil catch can // AC & cruise control removed

Engine Management:
AEM UEGO wideband (rear o2 location) // ecmlink (V3) // autometer boost gauge // HKS type 1 tt

Engine Internals:
stock

Drivetrain Modifications:
AWD GS-T // automatic tranny converted to 5 speed manual // ACT 2600 clutch // ACT chromoly flywheel // evo X gsr shift knob // B&M short shifter // symborski shift kit // SS full clutch line // slave cylinder extension rod

Run more boost and take out timing. More boost less timing always makes more power than less boost and more timing. I would run around 25psi and pull timing till u don't have knock. Also afr should be rich on pump gas around 10.9-11.1 with lots of boost.

i have an ebay turbo with a stock engine so i am not so sure i should run 24psi on them. we tuned it to around 11.1 and thats when i got the 268

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back