The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

My First DSM Build am I forgetting anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoofyDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
I bought a Clean N/T Shell with the 4g63, so i decided to boost it.

So far on my list is;

6 bolt block N/T
1g rods / 2g Pistons
Clevite Bearings rods/crank
ARP Headstuds
ARP Mainstuds
ARP Rod bolts
255lph Walbro
1000cc Injectors
MLS Headgasket
New waterpump
Gates racing timing belt (i dont want to break valves or pistons)
T3 ebay manifold
gt35 journal bearing (.68 ar)
Short pipe front mount kit
Ebay wastegate / BOV
Greddy sp1 catback
Electric cut out
DSM Link V2.5 / Eprom ECU resocketed
ACT CLutch/Flywheel
Balance shaft removed.

These are parts I have already aquired, is there anything else that I need? Such as can i reuse my oil pump?

Last edited:
You'll need to make sure your drivetrain, suspension, and brakes can handle the extra power, and you're probably going to need better tires to get it to hook. I would also upgrade to ECMLink V3. With the MLS headgasket, you'll need a surface finish of 35-40 RA on the block and head for a good seal.

While your at it, you may as well replace all of the timing components rather than just the belt, if you aren't sure of their age/condition. It would also be a good time to look into an oil-to-air cooler and/or a front facing oil filter housing.

I also don't see a downpipe listed.

The rolling chassis I bought has KYB Struts/Shocks, Eibach lowering springs, Eibach Front and Rear Strut tower bars, and every bushing has been replaced with poly eurathane, literally every bushing.

I dont want V3, cause i already have v2.5 and it was a lot cheaper, budget build car here nothing special. The timing belt componets are fine bearings spin freely no need to replace them.

Waterpump I have is just a OE replacement, and the slave cylinder is newer.

Also Ill buy a new OE Oil pump this weekend thanks!

Don`t use an ebay manifold, u will regret it when u have to take it off in a month because its cracked in five places.

Not being mean at all, but lets stick to what else i need and not peoples opinions on quality of ebay parts. Mine will not crack cause i had it rewelded and braced underneath so it doesnt crack. I have taken a lot of precautionary steps. I just want to make sure that Im not missing the little things that long time dsm owners know of.

THanks

Don`t use an ebay manifold, u will regret it when u have to take it off in a month because its cracked in five places.

You ask were going to tell you good parts and parts not to use, ebay manifolds get ready for cracks down the road. We are about helping not hurting our fellow dsmers.

I understand this, but if it does crack so be it, but besides the quality of the parts I just need to know if there are any little mods to factory parts or maybe little tricks to solve things or maybe i forgot to buy something. I appricate the help, but i understand everyones view of ebay and 95% they think its junk, thats fine but i am still going to use them, I have before and it never broke. So im not worried about the quality of ebay parts. My apologies I am not trying to come off as hostile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry i was not trying to criticize you or anything i`m just going off what i have gone through. i dont see boost controller, boost gauge, or o2 housing either. Good luck with the build though

Yes forgot to list i have the following
EGT gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge
AEM EUGO Wideband
Act Clutch and Flywheel.
Also Im going to use the NT tranny till it blows apart
I wont be using the factory o2 housing, it will have a custom 3inch dp with a bung welded into it.
Also I was just going to use a manual BC.

I'm sure you've already done the research and read plenty of threads on this subject but since no one has mentioned it I thought I'd bring it up. Since your using a n/t block without the oil squirters (unless your tapping them in), you may want to consider a forged piston setup. I know its a highly debated issue, but for peice of mind and security that's what I'm going with in my build. Jus food for thought. Good luck man.

Honestly I would but this is a budget build. I literally have in the car with parts and including the car around $2500 so far, im not wanting to step it much further than that. My last car i put around 8-9K in, and at this point in my life I really just am done spending that much money on a car. Just not worth it, i ended up breaking the car and parting it out. But I do appriciate the knowledge.

No problem man! I definately understand that and for alll the parts you've listed including the cost of your car, that $2500 went a long way! Keep us posted on your build and happy DSMing man. ,;)

Defintely ill take pictures of the build and post them up start to finish. Thanks for the encouragement!

wow only $2500 in a turbo dsm project. I think if i pick up this 2G GST project shell im going to do the same

Nah, ill be fine, ive been doing it long enough to know how to build a car and drive it. Im not pushing it beyond its potential also it wont be WOT everytime the light turns green. :)

Again this was a thread for advice not your personal opinions im tierd of the bashing. Keep it to yourself and keep this thread clean.

Thanks

Again this was a thread for advice not your personal opinions im tierd of the bashing. Keep it to yourself and keep this thread clean.

Thanks

Wow, might want to have 30 posts before you act like a dbag. No one has bashed you yet, chill out kid.

Ebay mani's suck, thats not opinion. They WILL crack, yea you re welded it, its just going to crack somewhere else. Do not buy an ebay bov or wastegate. The bov will leak and a wg is not something to skimp on. Once it malfunctions and pegs your turbo wide open you'll be building your motor over again.

phunny and my own comments were not bashing either. Really a good set of stands and some patience. Every bolt will break. Everything will cost more then it should and take twice as long as you'd think.

I just spent $200 to install my gas tank. New hoses,clamps, ss hardware, and some rust prevention. Stuff adds up very fast. Just set aside a nice chunk of change for all the misc that will come up.

Wow, might want to have 30 posts before you act like a dbag. No one has bashed you yet, chill out kid.

Ebay mani's suck, thats not opinion. They WILL crack, yea you re welded it, its just going to crack somewhere else. Do not buy an ebay bov or wastegate. The bov will leak and a wg is not something to skimp on. Once it malfunctions and pegs your turbo wide open you'll be building your motor over again.

phunny and my own comments were not bashing either. Really a good set of stands and some patience. Every bolt will break. Everything will cost more then it should and take twice as long as you'd think.

I just spent $200 to install my gas tank. New hoses,clamps, ss hardware, and some rust prevention. Stuff adds up very fast. Just set aside a nice chunk of change for all the misc that will come up.

+ 1 I was going to say something but this nails it right on the head. Well put.

Will you be upgrading the cylinder head at all: cams, valves, springs?
Evo springs are cheap and good for build insurance; just a suggestion:thumb:

Also, you never mention a goal (performance wise) other than repeating that its a budget build.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back