The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

My first DSM...a good start I think? Opinions welcome!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budgettsi

Probationary Member
Jul 13, 2009
Smiths Falls, Ontario_Canada
Just a thread to introduce myself and get some input from fellow DSM owners on the project I have just purchased. I am a licensed transmission tech, and the shop I work at has an engine/machine shop, a speed shop AND a chassis dyno. I do our EFI calibration and operate the dyno, but most of my experience has been with late model domestic vehicles so far. About a week and a half ago a friend of my father-in-law asked me to look at a car he bought for his daughter. As it turns out it was a 1991 Talon TSi AWD with an auto. He said it was "doggy" off the start, but went like crazy after that. I unplugged the battery to see if the problem would change with a ECU/TCU reset, but it didn't. I explained to him the TCU was likely bad. He wanted a second opinion, so he got it from a trans shop (not mine) and they said the same thing. He couldn't stomach the thought of taking the risk in case it wasn't the cause...so I told him I'd buy it. So after wiring the solenoids to test the trans...the trans is good! All 4 gears. I got a list of upgrades on the car, and I have verified them to be there. Best of all I guess is the Big 16G (yum!), 3" Thermal research exhaust, 17" American Eagle alloys and tire in perfect shape. When I picked it up, I discovered it was running 18psi....not safe in my opinion as it has stock injectors (390s) and stock SMIC. These will be the first to go I would think. In the mean time, 14-15psi OK? I will put the wideband in it next week after my holiday at a cottage we are renting (will be hard to wait). This project should be alot of fun. Just wanted to say hello and I look forward to soaking in all this forum has to offer.
PS I need a TCU! LOL

Welcome to the site, I would actually run lower boost than that one the 16g with those injectors, probably around 12psi or so. Also first thing you want to do is a boost leak test , also check out this page and most importantly: VFAQ Site - Visual Frequently Answered Questions , all you need to know right there.

Remember, maintenance maintenance maintenance, supporting mods (fuel, gauges, ect.) then it's fun fun fun from there on.

Thanks for the link on the boost leak test. Great little test...will definitely do this. I do have an Autometer boost gauge that was on the car already, and an AFR gauge...but one of the narrowband types I don't care for. If you recommend 12psi for now, I'll run that til I have the injectors and DSMlink and an FMIC. I'm just glad nothing seems to have happened from the previous owner obviously cranking up the boost without doing his research. Oh well, that's what places like this are for, right? Looks like I'll be reading a while...can't wait to use the big 16G to its potential! Thanks again.
:thumb:

welcome and have fun here! I strongly reccomend doing the maintenence first but im sure you know that already.At least put some 450 injectors in there those are cheap as hell and easy to find here!

hows it going fello dsmrs my name is samir i own a 90 talon tsi and im running in to trouble i got it a few days ago and im trying to get it ready so i can hit the track so i can find out ### it can do when its stock before i start gettin in to it right now im having a start issue i chacked for spark all plugs are sparking on all cylinders getting fuel to rail compression is perfect i pulled my plugs out just to check them one last time and noticed some thing cylinders 1/2 their plugs are looking like they are buringn fuel while 3/4 look like they are not getting any fuel at all its like plugs look brand new with no traces of fuel on them thats 3/4 plugs checked my timing as well its spot on i just cant figure out wats wrong i checked my ecu and it look like it was fixed previously from leaking capacitor i try to crank the engine and looks like 1/2 cylinders want to fire but 3/4 dont ### to not sure wats wring

thanx in advance

DSMS RULE

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back