The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink My CrankingFuelAdj seems to not be working at all

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We're on Boost

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 25, 2007
Seattle area, Washington
My CrankingFuelAdj seems to not be working at all.
When I change the settings in the table it makes no difference in my InjOn time or InjDuty, either one, during a cold start.
So I started logging CrankingFuelAdj. Sure enough, the logged value for it is always just 0.
What could the problem be?
There are one or two odd things about my ECMLink setup. For example I’m speed density without an IAT sensor.
Could you guys take a look at this cold start log and see if there is some reason for getting nothing from Cranking Fuel Adjust?
I’m getting 4 to 5 ms InjOn time during cold starts. I’d like to get that up to 7 or 8 ms.

Firmware version 3.36.64

ECMLink software version 3.36.73

Laptop, Windows XP with Service Pack 2

Hmm, how do I post a log here?

Without a log it's hard to tell but the only thing I can think of is the lack of a "keystroke" signal. Without this signal, "crankingfueladj" will not work. The "keystroke" signal is 12 volts from starter relay to ECU pin #108 on a 1G or pin # 71 on a 2G only while the engine is cranking.

https//www.ecmtuning.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80078

Keystroke can be logged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without a log it's hard to tell but the only thing I can think of is the lack of a "keystroke" signal. Without this signal, "crankingfueladj" will not work. "keystroke" signal is 12 volts from starter relay to ECU pin #108 on a 1G or pin # 71 on a 2G. only while the engine is cranking.
https//www.ecmtuning.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80078
Key stroke can be logged.
It is actually called Key Start and I had a problem with mine not working and boy was it hard to get to start. That was 5 years ago and I can't remember what the heck I did to fix it but I started logging Key Start after that. If I remember right, I had to richen up the 1st box in the VE table to help it out without that signal. If I find a log of it, I will look at its VE table to see if I did some silly things to bandaid it.

Well I found the "No KeyStart" log but I can't find what I did to fix it. Here you can see what it was doing tho. See if yours is doing the same thing.
In the second log I posted here, if you watch the "OpenLoopMaxOct" table, when KeyStart comes on, it changes the box that the ECU is looking at from 13.9 to 12.6, richening up the start mix.

Attachments

• log.2016.11.05-07 no start no key start value.elg
    66.6 KB · Views: 31
  • log.2016.11.05-12.elg
    109.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Pretty funny, looking for "attach a file" and it's "Add Photos" instead to attach a log.

Well thanks for the key start idea. I see that is already available in my logs, so I added it to Displayed Values.
And in my recent logs I see that KeyStart is always 0 during cranking and all through the log.

In my oldest logs, like in 2016 and 2017, I see KeyStart is 1 during cranking!

Well I'll look through my logs to find out when KeyStart quit working.

Aha, what @jim95redgsx said in post #2 rings a bell. At some point about 2 or 3 years ago I quit using the part of the start circuit that goes from the starter relay to the starter solenoid. Before that the starter relay was removed but my starter button was still sending current to the relay socket, from which it went the rest of the way to the starter solenoid in the original car wiring. When I quit doing it that way, that is probably going to be when I lost my KeyStart signal. I can track that down I think. I can try sending current to that one leg of the starter relay socket again (from the starter button) and see if that brings back KeyStart signal.

Here I've posted a recent cold start log and an old cold start log. Also a photo of my starter relay socket showing one wire going into it (how I used to have it) - this is the wire I'm proposing to bring back into use to maybe fire up KeyStart. This yellow wire came directly from my starter button.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• log.2022.06.07-01 cold start with nose back on.elg
    47.2 KB · Views: 29
  • log.2016.10.25-01 cold start and restart 57 deg.elg
    24.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Well I'll look through my logs to find out when KeyStart quit working.
At some point I quit using the part of the start circuit that goes from the starter relay to the starter solenoid. ................ When I quit doing it that way, that is probably going to be when I lost my KeyStart signal. I can track that down I think.

That checks out, having looked through my logs.
When I removed that yellow wire from the starter relay socket, that's when KeyStart quit working. That was in July of 2021.

Amazing!

Ok I think I know what to try first then. I'll put a wire from my starter button back to that upper left position in the starter relay socket.

Thanks everyone!

Once you get KeyStart to function again, the car should start right up with no issues at all. I fought mine to get it started when mine wasn't working, like yours. Super stoked to think the problem is resolved. If you get it fixed, let us know and we can mark this thread RESOLVED :thumb:

Once you get KeyStart to function again, the car should start right up with no issues at all. I fought mine to get it started when mine wasn't working, like yours. Super stoked to think the problem is resolved. If you get it fixed, let us know and we can mark this thread RESOLVED :thumb:

Yeah! 🌟

Last edited:
Ok I think I know what to try first then. I'll put a wire from my starter button back to that upper left position in the starter relay socket.
If you get it fixed, let us know and we can mark this thread RESOLVED

I finally added that wire as proposed in post #7 to re-activate Cranking Fuel Adjust.
It works!
Now when I push the starter button, KeyStart goes to 1, and CrankingFuelAdj goes to whatever numbers I have in the table.
So now my car is a happy cold starter!
Thread resolved.

Log from cold start yesterday, coolant temp was 38 deg F, CrankingFuelAdj came on at 94%, InjOn times about 12ms during the crank:

Attachments

• log.2023.02.11-01 first cold start after adding wire to the starter relay socket upper left t...elg
    79.4 KB · Views: 21
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back