The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

My compound turbo build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglady112

15+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2004
Commerce City, Colorado
Now this is not 4g63 related but, I have taken my inspiration from the other members in the past. It is kind of 1/3 related as this a dsmlink powered car with a 1g ignition, 1g throttle body, old school low impedance dsm injectors and so on.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Stage 2

Stage 3

No. It runs in alcohol via 8 injectors.

stage 327

Just oil feed lines away now

What are the specs on the turbo's you ended up using? I have never compound turbo'd a 4cyl but have done it many time on cummins i have owned in the past.

High pressure
Volvo 16t

Low pressure
Holset H1C

I have already ran a 13T with success on this car. It spooled very well, just about maxed out the compressor though.

I put the H1C on and I had to go to nitrous to spool it. I actually had to spray bit full time to get anything out of it. The problem was consistency. I literally could only get it to work on the Dyno. All kinds of problems at the track that were all over the map.

this should fix the predictability. Hopefully it does as I ask every time now.

What car/engine is this? Very interesting setup. Why did you choose to run Link on it over an aftermarket EMS like megasquirt? Just have more tuning experience with Link?

Ford Festiva. Factory 1.3L B3 engine. The Miata cam angle sensor bolts right into the head. And is the exact same thing as the 1G cam angle sensor. And 21 years of using dsmlink it was a no brained. My Mercedes with a Volvo engine uses dsmlink as well.

Quiet now with two mufflers.

Initial testing was a success. Now to put a bigger spring in for the low pressure turbo and really get her dialed in. It spools exactly the same as it did with nitrous. It does not seem to be making as much power yet as the nitrous. That is a given considering how nitrous works.

I am at 28psig currently with 9psi of turbine back pressure.

I was at 24psig with the 75hp shot and 14psi of back pressure. It doesn’t seem too far off but, does not quite seem the same.

the good news is my motor is finished machining so I can really test this setup soon and stretch its legs.

For the size of that motor that seems like its spooling decent. I would always measure Overall boost at motor, Primary boost in the charge pipe to secondary, and drive pressure. With that data you could do some math and figure out exact boost numbers each turbo is making.

I was able to get my crankshaft and started assembling my built engine. I am pretty much ready to start testing and turning it up as I hope I can trust these parts I had manufactured. I am just waiting for the flange of the exhaust manifold to be resurfaced as it is warped badly. It was warped from the previous setup actually. I tried my belt sander and one machinists belt sander. It is pretty far out of whack. I want it to be right and want to push it so I have to wait.

here is where I stand. I just need to reinstall the turbo system and I am ready to go.

This is my third attempt at this now. I ended up moving to a 16 valve Miata/Capri cylinder head. This essentially fixed the car and I picked up 135whp by simply swapping the head on.

I finally made some progress and maxed out a GT3071 sized turbo. So back to compounds as displacement is still a problem for energy. It is making some power finally.

Low pressure turbo-6466 sized turbo
High pressure turbo-3071 sized turbo

The intake is not finished yet. Once I mount the front end I will lengthen it. It is finished though and ready for testing. The Dyno has a car stuck on it until at least the middle of next week. I will report back once I can get on there. It would be nice to find the limit of the clutch so I can get the new one made.

Boy there is a lot going on there isn't there? I applaud the custom work, that takes TIME!
Keep us updated.

This is at 37psi. The run before I stayed in it a little longer as the car waited a longer to try and kill us. The big turbo is all in by 6500. The road was terrible but, they car won’t go straight anymore.

She is scary now. For sure going to the Dyno next week.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back