The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

my car loses power every time I turn it back on...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antihater48

Probationary Member
Oct 27, 2010
Salinas, California
I recently bought a 1992 Eagle Talon Tsi awd...
although theres no car I'd rather be driving, I have a bit of problems.
I can deal with most of them until I have them fixed, but every time I turn the car on, starting with the second time of the day, it loses power, a lot of power...
I thought that it was just turbo coking, so I would let my car run for about 5 minutes after driving it each time, since I dont have a turbo timer yet.
This hasnt really solved the problem yet...
I thought it might be the turbo, so I bought another one, that was supposedly right for my car, but is not.
I discovered that my blow off valve has a bunch of cracks in it, and since I couldnt find a used turbo in my area, other than the original I bought that did not fit.
The car had fresh oil when i bought it, but it was petroleum oil, and its pretty dirty, and I havent even driven one thousand miles on it yet.
So Im gonna go buy some castrol synthetic and a new oil filter today or tomarrow and see if that helps, although Im a little nervous to put synthetic in the engine, as I was once told that if you put synthetic oil in an older engine, it might clean out the engine too well, clearing any sludge I might have the engine that might be plugging leaks or something.
Although Im quite confident this could be true, should I risk synthetic in a car I know nothing about?
the car has less than 130k miles on it...
and my other question, is does anyone have any solutions as to why I might be losing power, and if it is coking, how might I fix this?
thanks,
marcel

You can tell if the oils coking when you do the oil change, I posted a picture of what it would look like below the post.
You've got to be more specific about your losing power description, its very vague. Exactly whats the car doing? Is it during idle/cruise/WOT (wide open throttle)? Does it run fine the first time you start it up and drive it to where your going then after you turn it back on run like crap?

You should take a picture of the turbo you couldn't get to fit on your car even though you mentioned it being OEM, I'm curious as to what you got.

Coked oil...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:dsm:

Does it crank slower every time? run rougher?

how long do you let it sit before starting it again?

Does it get less and less powerful as the days go by?

Does it get all the power back when you start it again in the morning?

ill take a picture of the turbo in the morning, i just moved and gotta find the camera.
the first time in the day that i start it, it has plenty of power, probably not as much as it should, but enough to get around, and thats all I need at the moment, until i can just buy a new everything, tranny, engine, and turbo and such.
the second time I start the car, I have to rev it up higher before I even release the clutch, but I can get around while getting honked at and flipped off.
The third time, Im pretty much screwed, and cant even get up small hills.
but later on, it will be fine again.
before I quit my job, it would be about 9 hours of it not running, and I wasnt letting it run to cool down then, and it would be plenty fine after the shift.
so no, I dont think that its getting worse over time, a long period of time at least, its more like progressively worse as the day goes on.
when I say it looses power, I mean that it gets really slow, as in almost no torque, the idle is rough and low, it revs up really slow, and it wont rev higher than 5k.:banghead::banghead:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back