The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

my car died at idle. erratic idling behavior

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam170880

Probationary Member
May 4, 2006
Lima, South_America
Good morning,

I have a problem.

5 days ago, I drove quietly, I had traveled 30 minutes at speeds very low.

When I arrived at a traffic light, the problem occurred. I stopped to wait to change the red light and the RPM dropped to zero and the car died.
I turned on again and the RPM dropped to zero again automatically.

I turned on for the third time but this time I had the accelerator pressed to maintain the RPM above 1000 RPM. the car was kept running.

Finally, I arrived at my destination by keeping the RPM above 1000 RPM. When I park the car died again.

Two days later, I turned on the car was kept running at idle. I took him back to my house always maintaining high RPM.

Since a week ago, the car has an erratic behavior. The idle goes up and down by itself, to be at 900 RPM - 1200 RPM at idle. Normally, the idle was at 500 RPM. Gasoline consumption has increased.

In addition, he began to throw a little white smoke rather by the smell of gasoline exhaust.

Another symptom is that I found a small leak of coolant by the pump. It is a small leak and the temperature of the car does not rise much. The water pump changed 2 weeks ago. Please help me with your advice, which may be happening?.

My car is:

Eclipse 1995 GST 4G63T all stock (just a K&N air filter 6'')

Thank you !!!.

Sounds like it could possibly be your MAF going bad, hence the gasoline smell (running rich maybe). Test the MAF out, use the haynes repair guide if you don't know how. In the mean time you could try setting your idle higher (BISS screw) so that your car doesn't idle too low and die, as a temporary solution until you get the problem fixed.

PM me and give me a call ill get your idle fixed i deal with issues like 3x a week with other cars :D

You might want to check your tps for leaks maybe it has gone bad. Any CEL by any chance?:(

my was doing that, i replaced the iac and tps and it fixed it. i would have to agree it would be the tps. is it throwing the check engine light?

Sometimes but not always if you develop a large enough leak post TB it wil cause idle surge. I had this issue for quite sometime. It was erratic changed with operating temps etc. I noticed a kazoo noise and discovered a leaky intake and TB gasket. I believe in theory the ISC tries to lower the idle due to the leak and adjusts the its limits and back "feeling" if you will for the correct position to maintain a steady idle, hence the surging. I do know that fixing the leaks solved my idle surge issue.

Look for discoloration where the intake bolts to the head. I was able to spray carb cleaner on the area and it lowered the idle for a short period. The reason it lowered the idle because the carb cleaner softened the carbon build up and temporariy sealed the leak. When I removed the 15yr old OEM gasket the rubber like coating was peeling off and causing the kazoo noise. The first symptom of my problem was a CEL for idle control malfunction and then I wasnt able to run more than 15psi no matter how far the MBC was adjusted. Gas mileage was sucking ass as well :thumb:

-Kolby

well rush i think you fixed my problem, did your temp go from like mid to 3/4 way up? thats what mine is doing and im getting bad gas mileage as well.:thumb:

It got hot a few times but that wasnt related to the intake gasket leaking. I would strongly recommend just replacing the TB intake gaskets etc. I should have done it to begin with when I replaced the injector seals and orings. The kazoo noise strangely enough started a few days after I read a thread on a leaky TB. I always had erratic Idle surge like the OP and thought it was the ISC. It was really this massive boost leak and the ISC couldnt keep the idle down so it was surging.

Im getting about 210 per tank now which still isnt great but the best ive seen in this car bone stock was about 250. The worse well around 125 a few tanks ago.

to the OP Check your BISS oring, TB gasket intake manifold gasket and injector o rings also check for boost leaks. Those are a few of the small things that can often be overlooked and all but the boost leak can cause idle surge unless its post throttle body then its a vacuum/boost leak which means double the headache :ohdamn:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back